Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Converting Black and White file to Color

I mistakenly took a batch of pictures with my K-5 in a preset Black and White mode. My question is does the camera also record a color file as well and how does one recover this file? Any help would be much appreciated.

06-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In RAW or RAW+ only.

If you're shooting JPG you're out of luck.
06-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. Jpeg files are compressed and developed - you cannot get colour out of a black and white jpeg. If you shoot raw (.DNG or .PEF), then you might be able to get colours back by using a raw converter like Silky Pix, Lightroom, Photoshop (or the free FastStone, RawTherapee, Darktable)
Of course, shooting raw has its disadvantages - files are huge, unprocessed, and most users will not be able to view them. You need to use photography software like the ones mentioned earlier to develop the raw data and export it into jpegs. If you have in-camera selected to Jpeg only, then the camera does this part for you. But you forgo the convenience of being able to "revert" to initial, colourful, raw data
06-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you shoot in RAW, it will still show up as color in any editing program you use (Lightroom for example).
If you shoot in jpeg, it'll be B&W & you can't convert it to color.