Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

K-5 ll Firmware update

I just bought a K-5 ll. It is in pristine condition...must have been open box or something.
My question is, since the firmware has never been updated, I'm wondering if I should do it.
The camera seems to work fine, to my very limited experience, and I don't want to give it a problem.
I know firmware updates should be done, but I've seen some posts where updates have
caused problems.
I know with computers there's an old rule of thumb about hardware drivers, and a lot of other things,
'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', i.e. if everthing is working correctly, leave it alone.
Should I just 'leave it alone' until I find something I want to do that I can't without an update?

Thanks, you've all been very helpful to those of us 'newbies', even we old newbies.

AdkMike

06-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AdirondackMike Quote
I just bought a K-5 ll. It is in pristine condition...must have been open box or something.
My question is, since the firmware has never been updated, I'm wondering if I should do it.
The camera seems to work fine, to my very limited experience, and I don't want to give it a problem.
I know firmware updates should be done, but I've seen some posts where updates have
caused problems.
I know with computers there's an old rule of thumb about hardware drivers, and a lot of other things,
'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', i.e. if everthing is working correctly, leave it alone.
Should I just 'leave it alone' until I find something I want to do that I can't without an update?

Thanks, you've all been very helpful to those of us 'newbies', even we old newbies.

AdkMike
Update, No problems!
06-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Firmware updates are very simple to do as long as you have a fully charged battery. The latest update for the K-5ii is V1.07. Check to see if you camera has this update. If so no action is required. Otherwise download the update and follow the instructions at the following link. Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
06-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over the years I have seen plenty of horror stories about firmware updates. And the process should be approached with appropriate caution. But I have never seen any issues with any Pentax or Ricoh update, they seem to do a very good job of QC on them.

So yes do the update, no worries. Make sure the battery is fully charged and read the instructions carefully.

06-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
firmware update

Well, you're three for three to go ahead and do it, so I will.
At least there's no one screaming 'OMG DON'T'.