Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #16

A very good K10D reference book, especially for the beginner.

Get the book! I use it extensively, so much that it is getting a bit tattered, but still very serviceable!................................................

FLASH

04-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
There is also a book by Peter K. Burian: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K10D (Magic Lantern Guides) (Paperback 256 pages $13.57). See Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K10D (Magic Lantern Guides): Books: Peter K. Burian.
Wonder if anyone has read this one?
I'm reading it now about half way through and I'm not highly impressed so far it tells you what we all know about photography and tells you more or less whats in the manual perhaps just a bit more organised. I'll let you know when I've finished it and what I think but so far theres nothing in it you can't read on here or in the manual, frankly I think most books like this are a waste of time you can buy a book for every camera model it will tell you the same things we all know about photography and repeat the instructions, I'm also applaed at the lack of technical detail the auther asumes the reader is just entering and only cares to shoot in jpeg lots of pages are devoted to jpeg saettings and many serious people use RAW
06-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some my favorite Pentax sites:

Early Asahi Pentax Cameras and Takumar lenses: Main Page

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/index_pentax_lenses.htm

http://www.nanites.co.uk/Pentax%20M%20&%20A%20Lenses%2001.htm

Adaptall-2.com

Edit: Asahi Optical Historical Club site

http://www.aohc.it/indexe.htm

Last edited by Blue; 05-09-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added link
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #19

Answer to Pentax book

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have looked at the website for this book but I would like someone other than the author to say that this book is worth buying. My K10D is my first DSLR and I find myself wanting to know more as I read the Pentax-provided manual. Will this book do that?
For those of you who own a PTX K10D and/or 20D, Peter Burians Pentax K10D, and
Pentax 20D are both very good and useful books, far better than the Company Instruct.
Books. They are very detailed and go into specific areas of the camera and give very detailed, useful information. They come supplied with a pocket size, triple folded handy
info. guide.
the k20D book is a "Magic Lantern Guide" published by Lark Books.
ISBN-13: 978-1-60059-379-6

Good Luck !

Josan, Rochester, N.Y.

07-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I just want to post a note regarding the Magic Lantern Guide for the D200d. It is a good basic book on the camera's operation and is basically a 3rd party owner's manual. It is worth having but be aware that it only discusses Pentax lenses and Pentax accessories for the k200d. It doesn't deal with 3rd party lenses, flashes etc.
07-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I got the magic lantern book for the K10D and was totaly unimpressed whats the point of giving a longwided explanation of the more concise and to the point manual, and of course thenfew things that the manual was patchy on were hardly covered by the book i was not impressed

I don't mind buying a tips and tricks for the K10D not a rewritten version of the manual

I guess a total beginer may find it handy but then who buys a K10D without any knowledge of photography
07-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't view the ML books as being "tips and tricks" really, but more of a better organized operations reference manual. The OEM book jumps around all over the place in regards to the menus whereas the ML books address them more logically from a UI perspective. And I found the added contextual information on some of the functions is quite welcome. I just picked up a K20D and while 90% of it is the same as the K10D I will probably still pick up the ML for it as well.

07-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
I got the magic lantern book for the K10D and was totaly unimpressed whats the point of giving a longwided explanation of the more concise and to the point manual, and of course thenfew things that the manual was patchy on were hardly covered by the book i was not impressed

I don't mind buying a tips and tricks for the K10D not a rewritten version of the manual

I guess a total beginer may find it handy but then who buys a K10D without any knowledge of photography
I can't agree. For someone who is new to digital photography, even if they have film experience, or someone moving up from a point and shoot, I think it's a great book. Much easier to read and understand than the manual.
07-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hi All,

A nice little piece by well known pentax macro photographer Mike Muizebelt can be found here -
http://www.imaginginfo.com/web/online/Online-Exclusives/Zeroing-in-on-Macro-Photography-/49$3747
Cheers Neil
11-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I will now look for Yvon Bourke's book on the K100D. I am off to Chapters/Indigo right now.

I have found Magic Lantern's PENTAX K100D/K110D by Joe Farace to be of greater use to me than the Pentax manual although both are well thumbed by now.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 11-30-2008 at 05:58 AM.
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Some new useful sites that aren't camera specific

My personal help blog at I Need Photo Help!

Enticing the Light at Enticing the Light

Off camera flash help from Strobist at Strobist
05-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wikipedia has some useful information most times as well. They can be a good starting point for information provided they are not your only source of information.
Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
08-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
If you own a Pentax K10D, K100D or K20D, you might want to consider these books.
Pentax K10D Everything you need to know.....and then some.
Pentax K100D Everything you need to know.....and then some.
Pentax K20D Everything you need to know.....and then some.

By: Yvon Bourque

Book Webpage: k10dbook home

I downloaded a copy of " Pentax K20D Everything you need to know"
Thanks for the good info
09-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #29

for the K20D

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
There is also a book by Peter K. Burian: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K10D (Magic Lantern Guides) (Paperback 256 pages $13.57). See Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K10D (Magic Lantern Guides): Books: Peter K. Burian.
Wonder if anyone has read this one?
I bought the Magic Lantern guide for the K20D and am satisfied with it. I would recommend such a book for novice dslr - you'll learn a bunch; if you've used a dslr of the same brand previously, it will serve as a nice reference.
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Thanks for the links and for the book Suggestions they look great.