Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Suggestions for remote shutter release cable / remote

Hey all,

I'm thinking about trying some creative shots with a ND filter, and understand that for >30 seconds exposure a remote shutter release cable (and bulb mode) is suggested.

I've a KS-2 (love it!) and am wondering if just a generic ebay shutter release cable like this one would do the trick:

RS 60E3 Remote Shutter Release Cable Cord FOR Canon EOS Rebel Pentax DSLR Camera | eBay

Suggestions welcomed!

06-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that is the correct connector for Pentax. Assuming the KS-2 has a wired port? I do not have that camera and I know some models only have IR remotes.

Also, be a little cautious about the really cheap remotes I bought one just as a spare and paid maybe $5 but the connector was not made to spec and was loose in the camera port. Worked if you held it in tight but otherwise not. Tossed it and bought a proper one. I'm not saying that the one you linked to is bad, just be aware that really cheap ones can cut corners.

Gold standard would be the Pentax CS-205 which goes for $40 or so usually.
06-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Normally this would be the item that you need. Except that for the K-s2 (I have never touched the camera), Pentax apparently did not put the function into the camera. I downloaded the manual and did some quick reading and here are your apparent options.Here are your options.... hopefully, I am wrong.
  • 2 second delay
  • 12 second delay
  • A self portrait button
  • and in lieu of the remote cable connector (usually located on the right hand side of the body, next to the SD card door) they put in a WiFi ability to take an image - see page 90 under remote capture.

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-07-2016 at 07:31 PM.
06-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have used the following switch with the K-3II and K-5IIS. It does not require a battery because it utilizes power from the camera battery.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H

06-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

If y'all got an Android phone, just use the DSLR Remote app.
06-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes, that is the correct connector for Pentax. Assuming the KS-2 has a wired port? I do not have that camera and I know some models only have IR remotes...
...Gold standard would be the Pentax CS-205 which goes for $40 or so usually.
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Normally this would be the item that you need. Except that for the K-s2 (I have never touched the camera), Pentax apparently did not put the function into the camera. I downloaded the manual and did some quick reading and here are your apparent options.Here are your options.... hopefully, I am wrong.
  • 2 second delay
  • 12 second delay
  • A self portrait button
  • and in lieu of the remote cable connector (usually located on the right hand side of the body, next to the SD card door) they put in a WiFi ability to take an image - see page 90 under remote capture.

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have used the following switch with the K-3II and K-5IIS. It does not require a battery because it utilizes power from the camera battery.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
If y'all got an Android phone, just use the DSLR Remote app.
Thanks for the advice folks. I've experimented with Pentax's 'image sync' over WIFI before a bit, but was under the mistaken impression that the longest exposure it would allow was 30 seconds. I realized I had it in manual and it seems that the app WILL actually allow remote shutter activation when in bulb mode.

While that's decent, it would probably be disappointing if my android phone ran out of juice, but I guess I'll just keep my eye on it (as I do the Camera's - though in that case I've an extra battery).

On a related note, how does one decide for how long to expose for in bulb mode? Obviously longer exposures give different results; but how does one know that a 3 minute shot won't blow everything out vs a 2 minute shot that would be exposed properly?

Thanks again!
06-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

One way to tell is to meter with the ND filter off. Then with the filter on, adjust the shutter speed by the number of stops the ND filter is rated for.

Another is to just adjust the settings using the camera meter. I've had good luck with that, even with a 10 stop filter. Though you might need a couple of trial images to get it right.

Also remember to cover the viewfinder to stop light from leaking in. Both during metering and during the shot.
06-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
One way to tell is to meter with the ND filter off. Then with the filter on, adjust the shutter speed by the number of stops the ND filter is rated for.

Another is to just adjust the settings using the camera meter. I've had good luck with that, even with a 10 stop filter. Though you might need a couple of trial images to get it right.

Also remember to cover the viewfinder to stop light from leaking in. Both during metering and during the shot.
Perfect, thanks for the advice!

06-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Hamilton Quote

On a related note, how does one decide for how long to expose for in bulb mode? Obviously longer exposures give different results; but how does one know that a 3 minute shot won't blow everything out vs a 2 minute shot that would be exposed properly?

Thanks again!
Me? I try it, and adjust, but I am a hack that way!