Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #1

Live Feed Video?

Hey guys! I'm a DSLR beginner and I recently purchased the Pentax KS1. I am using this camera to mainly do makeup tutorials where I'll be sitting at a desk. I was wondering if there is any way that I can live stream the video feed as it is being recorded to either my iPad or laptop so that I can see how everything looks in real time. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

-Tina

06-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try tethering software*, but I don't live streaming that is possible with Pentax DSLRs (and probably most other brands as well). DSLRs do not have video as priority, so they are rather rudimentary in that department (DSLR priority is still photography). Best you can do is record video and then upload it. Maybe some camcorders have more of the functions you want?

But I think recording separately is something you will want to do anyway. You will have to use some sort of tripod or stable base, then select WB (important step, so that colours look normal) and other settings (there are many DSLR video tutorials out there, regarding aperture, shutter speed, frame rate), and highest quality of video. Later you should use computer software to cut the video, add text and effects, maybe even add saturation and sharpening to make it look better. Editing the video is an important step and requires separate recording and uploading.
Regarding seeing how things look.. you should be able to do a little test. This is generally why you want someone who knows what they are doing to help you - it is very difficult to be in front of camera, and also operate it. The camera operator would look at the settings, make sure the framing is good, stop the video if something changes, happens, etc. But if you do a couple videos you will develop some feeling for these things. Just build experience.

* Things like PKTether or Pentax Image Transmitter 2. I am not sure which one supports the K-S1, double-check this info.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-image-transmitter-2/introduction.html

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-08-2016 at 06:55 AM.