Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
The pictures are exposured correctly and in liveview, the screen is bright as expected, too. The stopped down aperture is compensated with higher ISO there. The only problem is that focusing manually is much harder due to the increased depth of field and noise.

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 03:00 AM ----------

Also, I can take pictures with aperture fully open. For example with my Voigt 40mm 2.0, if I shoot using AV and select 2.0, I´ll get a correct picture. It´s just hard to focus right when the lens is stopped down to about 4.0 in liveview.

06-09-2016, 04:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just confirmed the problem with A 50mm. In the a setting as soon as you turn live view on the aperture sets to f4 as I can see it. If I am on F1.7 or f22 it sets at f4. As soon as I turn off live view it goes to full open again.
I also focused on a ruler and had sharp numbers a full centimeter apart. Which was interesting because with aperture ring set to f22 I still only had focus half that distance. Curious as to what live view is doing here.
06-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guys, this is not a new thing, this is not a problem. Its a feature that has been around since the K-01, and has possibly evolved since then. There are many threads about this, especially in the K-01 forum.
Like I said, use digital zoom and the aperture will open up so you can focus manually and precisely. At least, that is how it works on my K-01
06-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Like I said, use digital zoom and the aperture will open up so you can focus manually and precisely. At least, that is how it works on my K-01
OP claims that it does not open up even when zoomed.

Steve

06-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #20

Original Poster
I also had the K-01 one year ago (it was stolen) and I remember that it was easy to focus. I always zoom live view to focus. The K-S2 never opens the aperture without quirky workarounds like using the aperture ring of the lens or using the optical preview button in Av (with aperture set to fully open).
06-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by palador Quote
No
Well, that is strange.

Is there someone else owning a K-S2 to confirm this issue?
With any luck some bona fide K-S2 user who has dealt with this will drop in with advice.

Steve
06-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #22

Original Poster
I just found an older firmware version (1.01) and downgraded my camera, but no success :´(
06-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Another thing that some users have reported doing, though i don't personally recommend it, is to just push the lens mount release button. This will automatically release the aperture to fully wide open.

06-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Use TAv with auto iso set as low as you need it. Can go as low as 125 if you have menu set to 1/3 steps ev. The screen stays bright.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don't understand how this relates to the issue - the TAv or Av mode doesn't change the aperture behavior in LiveView - you can set wide open on Av or TAv and it still does this. Only with a manual aperture ring can you force different behavior. The odd thing is that it isn't fully consistent. The aperture seems consistent in all lighting at times but then sometimes it isn't - it opens more than normal for reasons unexpected.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Give it a try. The suggestion is a well-known hack and useful if you want to evaluate DOF/bokeh wide open.

Steve
Steve - the suggestions as indicated above did not change the stopped down behavior - but see below.

I just tried the TAv mode, but with the K-S2 it doesn't work. The only two things which work are
1. set the aperture using the ring on the lens (doen't work with DA lenses)
2. use the 'optical preview' button (but pressing it while focusing isn't that comfortable)
This is where I thought I was also. I could get it to work with manual aperture and with optical preview only, until:

Does it open up in magnified live view?

Steve
This worked. But if it was mentioned in the early TAv discussion I missed it. Nothing in what I quoted seems to allude to it there. Also this had nothing to do with TAv. It worked in M, Av, etc. I have a K-3 however.

TAv or M?
See above. Mode was not important in magnified live view for my results.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Another thing that some users have reported doing, though i don't personally recommend it, is to just push the lens mount release button. This will automatically release the aperture to fully wide open.
That seems just as awkward as the optical preview is if not more. Plus there is a chance of losing the contact between the lens contacts and the mount and confusing the camera.

I should also point out that while a long time ago my tests seemed to indicate a relatively stable stop down amount - I was able to make my DA 40 go from wide open in a darkened room to about f/11 or more in bright sunlight today. This is baffling as I did the same test many many months ago. However I have also updated my firmware since then from 1.11 to 1.21 on my K-3 - I'm not saying it was related but I can't rule it out.
06-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #25
Site Supporter

This worked.
The OP says not. Very puzzling.

Steve
06-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP says not. Very puzzling.

Steve
Again - K-3 not KS-2 for me. SO I can't address the OP's specifics.
06-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #27

Original Poster
I found a similar topic in another german forum:

K-S2: LiveView und Blende ? Pentaxians

They tried different cameras and the issue described here affects the K-S2 and K-30. K-3 and K-01 aren't affected - at least not in the same way. They found no solution, though.
06-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #28
Pentaxian

It would be interesting to pinpoint whether different cameras, K-01, K-S2, K-3, behave differently in this regard. If anyone has access to those cameras.
06-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like k01, k3 both open with digital zoom.
K01is open until certain brightness then has fixed stop down.
K3 same with variable stop down.
The k-s2 is always at f4 in every mode, tried A50 and sigma 70, zoom doesn't open it, optical preview sets to whatever your aperture is set for.
This explains my low hit ratio in Street using live view with moving targets. At 15' with 50mm set from f4 to f2. 8 is only 2/3 the same meaning a person takes a half step and they are out of focus but still showing in focus.
06-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Sounds like k01, k3 both open with digital zoom.
K01is open until certain brightness then has fixed stop down.
K3 same with variable stop down.
The k-s2 is always at f4 in every mode, tried A50 and sigma 70, zoom doesn't open it, optical preview sets to whatever your aperture is set for.
This explains my low hit ratio in Street using live view with moving targets. At 15' with 50mm set from f4 to f2. 8 is only 2/3 the same meaning a person takes a half step and they are out of focus but still showing in focus.
Oddly my K-3 seemed to work this way a long time ago. I'm not sure if there was a mode option, or if the lighting was just right so that despite going outside and inside I never saw anything but f/4... but in any case it isn't working that way now and may never have been working that way other than by accident.

Just as an aside - most of the street shooting I ever did was with film and it was f/8 type stuff. Why so shallow?