Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shot shallow because of movement and at dusk or night. Live view in bright light is hard to see anyway and evening crowds are usually more interesting in New Orleans.

06-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I shot shallow because of movement and at dusk or night. Live view in bright light is hard to see anyway and evening crowds are usually more interesting in New Orleans.
Without knowing a bit more I can't say what I would do but I think I would boost f/stop and ISO and just clean it up more with PP and hope that worked. Alternatively switch to a different camera that allows for this without this issue.
06-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This explains my low hit ratio in Street using live view with moving targets. At 15' with 50mm set from f4 to f2. 8 is only 2/3 the same meaning a person takes a half step and they are out of focus but still showing in focus.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just as an aside - most of the street shooting I ever did was with film and it was f/8 type stuff. Why so shallow?
If you are taking time to evaluate focus for your Street work, you are going to miss a lot of shots. I use manual focus using the distance scale on the lens or pre-focus and set the aperture for DOF. If you have a manual focus 28mm that would be the ticket.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-09-2016 at 08:57 PM.
06-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #34

I have a k-s2. My raw/fx button is set to optical preview. In Av mode you have to press magnified view (ok button) first before pressing the optical preview (raw/fx) button. This works with my sigma 30mm f/1.4 and lets me focus wide open with magnified view in live view.

Last edited by AtitG; 06-09-2016 at 08:42 PM.
06-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh, and FWIW, my K-3 (firmware v 1.12) live view aperture:
  • General behavior is for aperture to be variable
  • Opens up fully in magnified view and remains open while magnified except for when DOF preview is used
  • Goes to the set aperture with DOF preview, even in magnified view

Steve
06-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do love my 28tak for street and it's all manual. My A50 can be all manual if I am going f less than 4. My da 40xs might need optical preview but it's af is fast and never seems to fail.
I have now earned my yellow belt in live view.