Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 03:02 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DCU 5.51 - Mac install with no previous version

I've seen a lot of posts lately from folks needing to install the latest Digital Camera Utility without having a CD, so thought it might be useful to write up something I've done to install the application. Screen shots relating to the text instructions are included in this post.

The CD's that came with my K100 and K200 only have the old Photo Browser apps, so lately as I was investigating various software tools I thought I'd check out DCU myself. This post is based on the updater package I downloaded from Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING as recently as today. I do not believe the instructions in this post violate any terms of the Ricoh license agreement or this forum, but I will leave that up to the moderators to decide.

To make a long story short, for Mac users who don't have an older application already on your system or have lost their original CD here is a fairly straight forward installation process that will work on both Yosemite and El Capitan, and should also work on the older OS X versions still supported by DCU 5.5.1.

First, download and install an application called Pacifist from Charlessoft.com. This is a useful shareware application that allows you to look at the contents of installer packages.

Second, after you have installed the Pacifist application launch it, wait for the shareware timer notification to count down, at which point you will see a screen that gives you a few choices for working with files. Choose "Open Package" and locate and select the DCU update from wherever you happen to download files. The installer may still be zipped or may already be extracted to a package depending on your browser security settings.

Third, once you have the package opened within Pacifist, expand "Contents of DCUupdater_5.5.1.pkg" until you see "Contents of digitalCameraUtility.pkg". The second package is the application installer, the first package checks to see if you already have an installation. With all the different input devices out there today there are a number of methods to select the actual install step but two choices are 1) keyboard, Ctrl-click on "Contents of digitalCameraUtility.pkg" or 2) with a two-button mouse, Right-click.

Four, select "Install to Default Location", you will be prompted for Administrator account information. If for some reason you have an older version of the application previously installed you will be given choices to extract over top, but if you had an older install why would you be using this method... :-)

Most folks should just end up with Digital Camera Utility 5 in their Applications folder after entering the requested account information and watching a few installation screens go by.

Hope this helps anyone using Mac OS X. I might poke around in the Windows version next to see what it looks like.

Attached Images

06-08-2016, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #2

Seems like a lot of work. Does the same workaround for Windows machines work for Macs?

Mount a removable drive (memory card, USB stick, USB drive). Command (right) click on the drive icon. Pick Get Info. Click on the triangle next to "file name and Extension" and type in the name S-SW140 or whatever it looks for. When you launch the install it should tell you what it is looking for.
06-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The method I described is for the situation where a Mac OS X user doesn't have any original media at hand or any version of the application already installed on their system. Find yourself on the other side of the world from home using a shared computer? Ten minutes - including downloads and app installs unless you happen to be somewhere still suffering with dial-up or satellite.

To the best of my knowledge, the only Mac version of the Digital Camera Utility 5.x that is readily available to download from a safe, reliable source is this updater, which requires a work around to get past the initial check the updater performs looking for an installed version of the application. Some of the other Pentax app installers do look for a disk or volume name, but the 5.5.1 Mac installer is looking for an installed version of the DCU app.

The Windows install will be totally different. I have not looked at it yet but the odds are pretty good the Windows installer will be packaged using Installshield.
06-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Seems like a lot of work. Does the same workaround for Windows machines work for Macs?

Mount a removable drive (memory card, USB stick, USB drive). Command (right) click on the drive icon. Pick Get Info. Click on the triangle next to "file name and Extension" and type in the name S-SW140 or whatever it looks for. When you launch the install it should tell you what it is looking for.
This is what I did on my iMac. Inserted usb, clicked on the name, changed it to S-SW140, installed. Done.

06-08-2016, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are correct.

I just finished rebooting a Mini with El Capitan installed that has never had any of the Pentax apps installed. The 5.5.1 installer would not run with a CD labelled S-SW74, and would launch when I labelled a flash drive S-SW140.

It appears that in the process of trying to get the Digital Camera Utility installed I had some Photo Browser CD's in the mix with disk names the DCU Updater installer doesn't accept. Serves me right for trying to test two different apps on three different systems at the same time.

As Emily Litella would say... "Never Mind."

:-)
06-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

Managed to download DCU 5

I could not do it without help. The person who did it for me used the Pacifist software. I thank you all very much for you help!
06-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
I've seen a lot of posts lately from folks needing to install the latest Digital Camera Utility without having a CD, so thought it might be useful to write up something I've done to install the application. Screen shots relating to the text instructions are included in this post.

The CD's that came with my K100 and K200 only have the old Photo Browser apps, so lately as I was investigating various software tools I thought I'd check out DCU myself. This post is based on the updater package I downloaded from Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING as recently as today. I do not believe the instructions in this post violate any terms of the Ricoh license agreement or this forum, but I will leave that up to the moderators to decide.

To make a long story short, for Mac users who don't have an older application already on your system or have lost their original CD here is a fairly straight forward installation process that will work on both Yosemite and El Capitan, and should also work on the older OS X versions still supported by DCU 5.5.1.

First, download and install an application called Pacifist from Charlessoft.com. This is a useful shareware application that allows you to look at the contents of installer packages.

Second, after you have installed the Pacifist application launch it, wait for the shareware timer notification to count down, at which point you will see a screen that gives you a few choices for working with files. Choose "Open Package" and locate and select the DCU update from wherever you happen to download files. The installer may still be zipped or may already be extracted to a package depending on your browser security settings.

Third, once you have the package opened within Pacifist, expand "Contents of DCUupdater_5.5.1.pkg" until you see "Contents of digitalCameraUtility.pkg". The second package is the application installer, the first package checks to see if you already have an installation. With all the different input devices out there today there are a number of methods to select the actual install step but two choices are 1) keyboard, Ctrl-click on "Contents of digitalCameraUtility.pkg" or 2) with a two-button mouse, Right-click.

Four, select "Install to Default Location", you will be prompted for Administrator account information. If for some reason you have an older version of the application previously installed you will be given choices to extract over top, but if you had an older install why would you be using this method... :-)

Most folks should just end up with Digital Camera Utility 5 in their Applications folder after entering the requested account information and watching a few installation screens go by.

Hope this helps anyone using Mac OS X. I might poke around in the Windows version next to see what it looks like.
MASSIVE thanks for this method..... perfect - took me less than 5 minutes, and I have been so frustrated....
So easy.... Pacifist woks brilliantly.

(this is my first post, new K-1 convert)

05-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote

Thank you @YeOldePentaxian! I just got an iMac Retina (late 2015). I actually had the original CD but no CD reader so this helped me enormously! I don't use DCU too often, mainly for Pixel Shift stuff that Lightroom doesn't seem to handle well.
01-24-2024, 02:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for sharing. It worked fine for me using Pacifist