Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2016, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #136
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
Cleaned Viewfinder & CCD,
CCD? So you sent them a K-1 and got back an MZ-D! Tell us how it works! Does it have an aperture coupling?

08-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #137
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayand Quote
Interesting, they told me that they expected a two week turnaround when I took mine in last week.

If the mode dial was replaced it seems that it wasn't just a ribbon cable reseat that was needed, so those who had a quick fix must have had a different problem -??

Lincoln Steampunk event next holiday weekend so I hope mine appears in a similar time, or it's back to the K5 ii

Here's hoping it's the only early adopter pain we suffer, as the wait for FF was just too much, and I succumbed to the temptation!
It does seem strange to have two causes for this.
I don't think the way mine failed is conducive with a ribbon cable getting dislodged, more like an electronic failure.
I fix computers for a living and I don't see ribbon cables dislodged without some kind of knock.
Electronic components, however, do just stop working.
Maybe a batch of faulty switches, don't know what the "Repaired Mechanical Assembly" could be though?
08-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think the way mine failed is conducive with a ribbon cable getting dislodged, more like an electronic failure.
I fix computers for a living and I don't see ribbon cables dislodged without some kind of knock.
Maybe a batch of faulty switches, don't know what the "Repaired Mechanical Assembly" could be though?
If you fix computers then this "symptom" may tell you something about the cause:

What I observed is that if I press the central button that allows you to change the mode it shows the correct mode that you have chosen! But when you ease the pressure the M mode appears again on the screen and the camera really works on M mode only...
08-19-2016, 04:55 AM   #139
Site Supporter

Like Redpit, I too noticed that if I applied downward pressure to the mode dial, the displayed mode showing would change without any turning of the dial - not sure if that indicates anything, but maybe those who had a quick fix will also have this problem later?

08-19-2016, 05:23 AM   #140
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
If you fix computers then this "symptom" may tell you something about the cause:

What I observed is that if I press the central button that allows you to change the mode it shows the correct mode that you have chosen! But when you ease the pressure the M mode appears again on the screen and the camera really works on M mode only...
That would suggest normal contact is being made when you press the centre button.
This would fit with a loose cable.

I don't know whether mine exhibited this behaviour or not.
08-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter

The story going around earlier (from EU) was that a poorly-trained assembler didn't properly attach the cable (lock it into the connector?), so it would come loose or detach completely. Perhaps a new connector assembly was quickly designed, or perhaps the story going around was wrong.
08-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #142
Site Supporter

Mine has taken 10000 pics, up mountain, down dale, been dropped a couple of times and no problems.
I switch to manual on a stroll around a castle grounds and no more modes?
It doesn't seem to fit with a loose connection.
Or the description of what was done as a repair, i.e.

"Replaced the Mode Dial,
Repaired Mechanical Assembly"
08-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* NPS membership is ... is not free ...
Actually as an NPS member I can attest that yes it is free. However, things like "free loaners" require you to use insured Fedex. So there is an indirect (shipping) cost to use the service but not to join.

Michael

08-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #144
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Actually as an NPS member I can attest that yes it is free. However, things like "free loaners" require you to use insured Fedex. So there is an indirect (shipping) cost to use the service but not to join.

Michael
There is nothing more enlightening that being shown to be wrong

It is my practice to check these things before posting, but it appears I was not reading a current resource or perhaps one for other than the USA (fees vary by country). For those that are interested, current membership in the U.S.:

Become an NPS Member

Steve
08-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #145

Well! Back from off-the-grid vacation (the K-5 performed admirably, as usual) and there is no happy voicemail from the dealer saying my K-1 has returned from it's American adventure. I drove over 4000km, probably could have made it to Connecticut or Denver to pick it up myself!

Tuesday makes 2 months without it, gotta give them a call tomorrow...
08-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Well! Back from off-the-grid vacation (the K-5 performed admirably, as usual) and there is no happy voicemail from the dealer saying my camera has returned from it's American adventure.

Tuesday makes 2 months without it, gotta give them a call tomorrow...
That is nuts. I would at least demand Pentax extend the warranty
To reflect the loss of use.
08-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #147

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is nuts. I would at least demand Pentax extend the warranty
To reflect the loss of use.
Good idea.
08-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #148
Site Supporter

It doesn't seem to fit with a loose connection.
Or the description of what was done as a repair, i.e.

"Replaced the Mode Dial,
Repaired Mechanical Assembly"
Mine has just come back from SRS, two week turnaround, it says "Replaced mode dial assembly, repaired electronic circuit board, check and test" looking forward to using it this weekend at the Steampunk gathering in Lincoln
08-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #149

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Several members have been reporting good service from Precision of late. Granted, in the past, they seemed to provide less than sterling service to some users. But, lately, reports are good.
Sent my drop-damaged K-3 and 18-135 lens to Precision in July. Received the repaired camera back in 2 weeks, the lens in 4 weeks. Repairs look good so far.
09-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter

My mode dial has just failed this afternoon.

Anyone else in Australia had the problem, and if so, what was CRK's response/turnaround time?