Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #181
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
Got an update from Precision Camera about my K-1 mode dial failure repair.
Repair is on hold, waiting for parts. Guess I probably won't have my K-1 back until Jan or Feb 2017...Christ Lord
They said they couldn't fix mine and Ricoh shipped me a new one. Make sure you stay on top of them!

02-20-2017, 04:51 AM   #182

My mode dial has gone wonky. Not stuck in M yet but some modes just don’t work and stay in adjacent mode instead. Holding my breath and not touching the dial at all until I have finished a commercial job next week. I’m in the Netherlands so my dealer will probably send it to France for repairs. I trust my dealer to do right by me but have heard negative reports about turnaround times for repairs in France.

And yes, the serial is in the 6356xxx range.

Edit/update: a month later and it is M-mode all the way. I have returned the camera for repair under warranty.

Last edited by joostdh; 04-04-2017 at 03:01 AM.
02-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #183

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
They said they couldn't fix mine and Ricoh shipped me a new one. Make sure you stay on top of them!
They eventually fixed mine and sent it back to me last month. My K-1 is still under warranty, so the service is free.
According to the repair ticket, they also did recalibration, realignment, and test to the camera's AF unit. On top of
that, the interior and exterior of the camera have also be cleaned. It took some time, but the camera came back in
good shape. Overall, I'm happy with their service.
04-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mine just died on me the day before yesterday and warranty is a couple of weeks to expiry. I bought from Vietnam but stay in Singapore. I can get it fixed in Singapore for a fee but if I send it to Vietnam for warranty repair, the body will go to Japan for repair and then goes back to Vietnam and then to me. I chose to pay a small fee in Singapore to get it fixed.

05-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #185

Follow-up: my camera was away for two weeks before coming back repaired.

The sensor had had a sloppy clean with the small specs that were on the sensor before wiped to the sides but not removed. More annoyingly (and not something I could clean myself) the viewfinder came back with tons of dust specs in it! I was shocked the Nikken France (who do the warranty repairs for Pentax sold in the Netherlands) could introduce dust into my camera. I would have though that any repairs would be in a dust free environment and checked thoroughly before returning to customer, apparently not. So it went back a second time for another two weeks. The shop I bought from, Cameranu, were very apologetic and understanding throughout. Can’t fault them at all. Thumbs down for Nikken though.

QuoteOriginally posted by joostdh Quote
My mode dial has gone wonky. Not stuck in M yet but some modes just don’t work and stay in adjacent mode instead. Holding my breath and not touching the dial at all until I have finished a commercial job next week. I’m in the Netherlands so my dealer will probably send it to France for repairs. I trust my dealer to do right by me but have heard negative reports about turnaround times for repairs in France.

And yes, the serial is in the 6356xxx range.

Edit/update: a month later and it is M-mode all the way. I have returned the camera for repair under warranty.
05-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #186

Evidently this is becoming a common failure on the K1. I have found at least three other people with the same issue, all about a month into owning the body. I have contacte Ricoh and their only option is to send it in for repair (at your expense). I was able to get them to at least foot the bill for a shipping label, but this is quite ridiculous that they are not just replacing the bodies. I have contacted as many people as I can about this issue within Ricoh Imaging USA - I will continue to contact everyone I can. Please let me know if you have this issue, too. I am a pro shooter so I already have about 3000 actuations on my K1 - the failure may be tied to use, so if you are a casual shooter it may take longer.

Mode deal failure
My K-1 failed yesterday, one week after that my 12 months quarantine period ended. I can turn my mode deal but it only shows M settings on screen, Is there any setting in the menu systems that can cause this problem?
I have tried luck and unlock but that is not the reason.
What will a repair cost?
05-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anmark Quote
Mode deal failure
My K-1 failed yesterday, one week after that my 12 months quarantine period ended. I can turn my mode deal but it only shows M settings on screen, Is there any setting in the menu systems that can cause this problem?
What will a repair cost?
Can you give us your rough serial number range, just to affirm yours is in the 6356xxx effected range and then it (hopefully) makes it more likely an incorrect setting we can help find? Did you try pulling battery, turning dial and putting battery back in?
Eric

05-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #188

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Can you give us your rough serial number range, just to affirm yours is in the 6356xxx effected range and then it (hopefully) makes it more likely an incorrect setting we can help find? Did you try pulling battery, turning dial and putting battery back in?
Eric
my serial number starts with 63544xx and I have another issue as well. Can't adjust focus enough so my 150-450 don't work with K1 but it's OK with my K3
BR anmark
05-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my serial number starts with 63544xx and I have another issue as well. Can't adjust focus enough so my 150-450 don't work with K1 but it's OK with my K3
BR anmark
Ugh! Sorry, that is terrible news! I don't know Sweden, but maybe one of the other forum members hopefully can direct you to someplace local for service. Might as well get both issues fixed at once. No idea on your original question, for cost.
If you bought your K1 on CC, some credit cards double your warranty period. Might be worth checking out.
Eric
05-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #190

Mode deal failure
What will a repair cost?
I was under the impression that under EU law 2 year of guarentee is standard. Is that not the case in Sweden? The consumer law could also be formulated that you as a buyer should have the expectation that the camera should work properly during a reasonable amount of time as that should be expected of such item, I mean to say that here in the Netherlands I could even make a case that a €2000 camera should not fail within even three or four years. Besides that: the mode dial problem must be a known problem to Ricoh, even if they do not say that out loud. You could request your dealer to contact Ricoh and ask for coulance regarding this specific and known problem.
05-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #191

QuoteOriginally posted by joostdh Quote
I was under the impression that under EU law 2 year of guarentee is standard. Is that not the case in Sweden? The consumer law could also be formulated that you as a buyer should have the expectation that the camera should work properly during a reasonable amount of time as that should be expected of such item, I mean to say that here in the Netherlands I could even make a case that a €2000 camera should not fail within even three or four years. Besides that: the mode dial problem must be a known problem to Ricoh, even if they do not say that out loud. You could request your dealer to contact Ricoh and ask for coulance regarding this specific and known problem.
Many thanks, joostdh
I received my K1 from Kameraservice two day after they got it.
Mode deal changed and AF fixed.
Went out with my 150-450 and the shots was crystal clear, a new world for me.
Many thanks for excellent service, Pentax and Cyberphoto
PS bought a Pentax 15-30 today as I'm so happy
06-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #192

Glad to hear it worked out well! Now you can get back to enjoying your (new) gear.
06-04-2017, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #193

K-1 Mode Dial failure - repair service in Switzerland

QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
They eventually fixed mine and sent it back to me last month. My K-1 is still under warranty, so the service is free.
According to the repair ticket, they also did recalibration, realignment, and test to the camera's AF unit. On top of
that, the interior and exterior of the camera have also be cleaned. It took some time, but the camera came back in
good shape. Overall, I'm happy with their service.

I had been using Av systematically these last 2 months with my K-1, when the mode setting suddenly went over to Tv or P, M and B sporadically without any way of getting the other settings... A slight sidewise pressure on the knob would also change the setting... The camera was always used in good conditions this last year, without any shocks or having being dropped. Camera serial #6362xxx.
So, I sent my camera for repairs to the Pentax repair service in Switzerland (K.A. Jäger AG, Oberebenestasse 67A, CH-5620 Bremgarten) who repaired the mode setting defect, checked the camera functions and did other necessary adjustments. The camera was returned within the same week. Repairs free of charge, under guarantee.
I can fully recommend their service.
06-04-2017, 12:36 AM   #194
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
just to affirm yours is in the 6356xxx effected range
For folk like me who live under a rock and are obviously not so well informed due to living in the Highlands of Scotland.

Mine are in this range, so what does this mean... I can expect issues?
08-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #195

Evidently this is becoming a common failure on the K1. I have found at least three other people with the same issue, all about a month into owning the body. I have contacte Ricoh and their only option is to send it in for repair (at your expense). I was able to get them to at least foot the bill for a shipping label, but this is quite ridiculous that they are not just replacing the bodies. I have contacted as many people as I can about this issue within Ricoh Imaging USA - I will continue to contact everyone I can. Please let me know if you have this issue, too. I am a pro shooter so I already have about 3000 actuations on my K1 - the failure may be tied to use, so if you are a casual shooter it may take longer.
I have recently experienced the mode dial failure with my K1. I've had my K1 for just over 1 yr and the mode is now stuck in manual. I've sent it off to get fixed (I hope). I'm not sure if it' a problem with the dial or if it is a software problem. It may not be related, I was going to try the astrotracer feature and performed the calibration about a week before the failure of the mode dial.