Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #196

Mode dial - hardware failure

It is a hardware failure. Exerting a slight lateral pressure on the dial knob would change the settings sporadically. I had to send my K-1 for repairs after having used it for about one year.

08-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This appears to have happened to my K-3, now just over 2 years old. Not sure what to do with it. Ugh.
09-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have the same problem, the serial of my K-1 - 6361763. So, it appears right in there for this problem.
09-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Have the same problem, the serial of my K-1 - 6361763. So, it appears right in there for this problem.
Ugh! Sorry man. And... you guys are making me nervous, you are creeping up dangerously close into my 6369xxx range. Starting to make me wonder where the cutoff point is?

Hope I don't find out personally, especially after my warranty expires. I got the LEAF 3Yr extended from Adorama, hope I don't have to test it out, but if it's going to fail, I hope it does before that one runs out too...

Eric

09-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #200

Mine, which still is in repair, has a serial number starting with 63544...
I got it near the end of April 2016.
10-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the mode dial problem. Got it this past weekend during a workshop. Have shutter priority, manual, and bulb. A reset didn’t address issue. Will be contacting Precision Camera tomorrow. SN is 6359274.
10-24-2017, 11:14 PM   #202
Pentaxian

There is no reason to worry, since the repair is very simple (it takes a few minutes to replace the whole mode dial selector with a new slightly redesigned one) and it works flawlessly ever after. I haven't heard of anyone having problems after the repair, it seems that Pentax has addressed the issue (a batch of problematic mode dial selectors probably).

10-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #203

This is the first I heard of this. My serial number is 63952XX should I call Precision Camera? I keep rotating the dial but I don't have any problems.
10-29-2017, 04:33 AM   #204

Maybe les chance ?

QuoteOriginally posted by scottyb70 Quote
This is the first I heard of this. My serial number is 63952XX should I call Precision Camera? I keep rotating the dial but I don't have any problems.

I had the problem. Was repaired under guarantee earlier this year. Serial number 6362088. Made in Philippines.
Yours may be more recent, so less chance of having a defective camera.
11-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
There is no reason to worry, since the repair is very simple (it takes a few minutes to replace the whole mode dial selector with a new slightly redesigned one) and it works flawlessly ever after. I haven't heard of anyone having problems after the repair, it seems that Pentax has addressed the issue (a batch of problematic mode dial selectors probably).
Good to know. Thanks.
11-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sent my K-1 in on Tuesday, 10/31/17, UPS 2 day air for delivery on Thursday, 11/2/17. They accepted my extended warranty, repair was completed on Friday, 11/3/17 and was ready to ship same day, but didn’t ship until today via UPS air overnight, Monday, 11/6/17. Delivery ETA is tomorrow, Tuesday, 11/7/17. Will update tomorrow if fixed.

Last edited by agkchang; 11-07-2017 at 05:12 AM.
11-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Ricoh/Pentax should also identify the source of this problem and correct it. This is apparently a serious shortcoming in the K-1. When Pentax was still Pentax USA (out in Colorado I believe) they had their own very good repair service at their location. I had a problem fixed under warranty in no time flat. But that was when they were still a complete company, including their excellent medical optics, which were stripped off after being bought out by Hoya. Hopefully, in time, now under Ricoh, their service will again improve.
11-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Ricoh/Pentax should also identify the source of this problem and correct it. This is apparently a serious shortcoming in the K-1. When Pentax was still Pentax USA (out in Colorado I believe) they had their own very good repair service at their location. I had a problem fixed under warranty in no time flat. But that was when they were still a complete company, including their excellent medical optics, which were stripped off after being bought out by Hoya. Hopefully, in time, now under Ricoh, their service will again improve.
Hi Mike -

Not sure if you have been following the whole thread or just read the latest post, but so far as we know, Ricoh service identified this problem a long time ago. It has only been experienced in a small batch of the early serial number K-1's, and the problem is resolved with later serial numbers, or after service installs the replacement part.

So far I have yet to see anyone report a problem outside the serial number range as reported so far, and no one has posted about a single repeat failure with the replacement mode dial after service. (Shhhhhush! Don't jynx it! heh heh ).

Eric
11-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
When did you have a repair done in Golden?
11-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Received my repaired K-1. Repair document that came back with my K-1 says they repaired the mode dial and associated items which I am translated as replaced. Works as expected. Documents also says they did a complete cleaning, internal and external; auto focus test, check, recalibration and realignment.