Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not normally an early adopter - but I couldn't resist. So far (fingers crossed) I haven't had any issues with my K-1, but if I encounter the Mode Dial Failure I will attribute it to the early adopter penalty.
Got the sensor stain on my launch K-5 too, I could have been more cautious this time, but I like to be on the bleeding edge.

Sent off my K-1 so the K-5 is temporarily out of retirement, and I'm missing my GPS, flippy-screen, and good AF. The coming weeks will be painful.

06-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Got the sensor stain on my launch K-5 too, I could have been more cautious this time, but I like to be on the bleeding edge.

Sent off my K-1 so the K-5 is temporarily out of retirement, and I'm missing my GPS, flippy-screen, and good AF. The coming weeks will be painful.
I just used the WiFi. I have a K-3, so this is a first. I would miss the convenience.

First time ever I got dust on a sensor. I guess that means I'm outside using it.
06-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Like said earlier getting accepted in to the professional services of the other brands is not easy not guaranteed that being said if you were not able to get you would get the same service from any warranty of other brands they will repair but not replace
06-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #49
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fry Quote
Hm.

@all of you complaining: you have bought K-1 instead of, say, a Nikon D810. You got one of the first bodies, there is still a shortage. You have saved, how much? $600? $800? Buying in the US, you saved another, what, $200, compared to the EU (where I live).

Yet you are complaining that Ricoh is not quick in replacing your body (an understandable policy given the shortage of supply) but instead asks you to send in the product for repair, which will surely be free under warranty. And you are complaining about $10 for shipping.

Seriously?
No; I believe they are complaining after buying the top of the line camera, it failed, and some must wait month(s) for parts for repair. The shipping cost is nothing compared to being without your brand new camera.

06-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Gettting accepted with Nikon Pro service is not easy
Here the form to fill
http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/nps/NPS%20App%20Eng.pdf

Here some minimum requirement(d7000 do not count)
Can you provide proof of ownership of a minimum of 2 qualifying Nikon digital bodies and 3 Nikkor lenses?

Are you a full-time business owner or hold an employee position at an organization** where you use Nikon products to earn 100% of your income within the United States?
Can another active NPS member validate your full-time imaging business or position as a sponsor?

Can you provide your professional work information and/or credentials?

If you can answer yes to all the questions above, please request an application
06-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Gettting accepted with Nikon Pro service is not easy
Here the form to fill
http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/nps/NPS%20App%20Eng.pdf

Here some minimum requirement(d7000 do not count)
Can you provide proof of ownership of a minimum of 2 qualifying Nikon digital bodies and 3 Nikkor lenses?

Are you a full-time business owner or hold an employee position at an organization** where you use Nikon products to earn 100% of your income within the United States?
Can another active NPS member validate your full-time imaging business or position as a sponsor?

Can you provide your professional work information and/or credentials?

If you can answer yes to all the questions above, please request an application
I guess they all have their problems, I am just surprised at how many right off the bat for these new K-1 cameras. Seems to me they need better quality control. Just saying. It doesnt make me want to run out and get one. Never heard of these kinds of problems when the 10 d came out.
06-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I thing the other brand are not better and honestly , I read Pentax Forum a lot and I do not see a lot of issues with the new K-1

06-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
I guess they all have their problems, I am just surprised at how many right off the bat for these new K-1 cameras.
Out of curiosity, what is the current count and where is the threshold of "surprise"? I have to admit to being surprised at a couple of the reported issues, but not surprised at all by most of the others. What remains are those that are most certainly traceable to user unfamiliarity.

Steve
06-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I thing the other brand are not better and honestly , I read Pentax Forum a lot and I do not see a lot of issues with the new K-1
Really????

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Out of curiosity, what is the current count and where is the threshold of "surprise"? I have to admit to being surprised at a couple of the reported issues, but not surprised at all by most of the others. What remains are those that are most certainly traceable to user unfamiliarity.

Steve
So you are saying their lack of experience caused the dial failure. hmmmmm
06-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Really????

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 08:14 PM ----------

So you are saying their lack of experience caused the dial failure. hmmmmm
No. I don't believe I wrote that.

I did ask you to clarify what you meant by the number that makes you surprised. Its OK if you don't know.

This many? https://www.google.com/search?q=nikon+d810+recall

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-26-2016 at 05:45 PM.
06-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess they all have their problems, I am just surprised at how many right off the bat for these new K-1 cameras. Seems to me they need better quality control. Just saying. It doesnt make me want to run out and get one. Never heard of these kinds of problems when the 10 d came out.
You claim to be surprised there are "so many" failures. Precisely how many failures have there been? What percentage is the failure rate?

Cite your sources. *

* Edit: I see others have had similar thoughts.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-26-2016 at 05:43 PM.
06-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No. I don't believe I wrote that.

I did ask you to clarify what you meant by the number that makes you surprised. Its OK if you don't know.

Steve
Steve I see a decent amount of dial mode failure problems on the forum, that linked together with the normal 3 to 6 week wait to get it back from precision for a 2000 dollar camera is a little bit of a nuisance wouldn't you agree.AS all that is probable needed is to re seat the ribbon cable I really dont know why such the long turn around time.
06-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #58

there are more than 7 k1 users experienced this failure in China, i'm the 5th. but fortunately, it will be repaired in 3days later
06-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

These are always troubling reports...and they never seem to end. We can expect electronics to have some problems, in particular new models, but we should also expect the Mfg to be prepared to make the repairs promptly. A month for a part is totally unacceptable.

As long as we continue to accept this kind of service don't expect it to get better, because we have been accepting it for ages and it appears no better now than with a DS years ago. What is a repair center worth that is not stocked with parts? Would you wait a month or more for an ignition switch for your new auto?

I love my K1......really love it...but if this was my situation and I got the same runaround I would get a refund and get it fast. When a retailer has to start refunding and ends up with a stack of used broken cameras you can bet your hiney the retailer will put some real pressure on the Mfg to provide decent service. As long as you guys are willing to whine instead of act you will be here posting your stories of sorrow.

As for user error....give me a break! The mode dial is pure simplicity, you turn it and that's it. Is anyone suggesting that using it is user error??

Regards!
06-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A member from Europe posted his Mode Dial was repaired in less than 24 hours. The issue isn't Pentax or the K-1. The issue is Pentax's woefully bad operation in the USA, the continuing turnover of executives in Denver and the unwillingness or inability to force Precision Camera Service to provide the service part. I think it inexcusable that a run away success product is gradually losing its luster because a small number of people have a ridiculous problem, make a website post that becomes an erroneous assumption of mass failure and Ricoh USA doesn't even try to respond. They continue to live up to their terrible reputation. We know more about their products than they do (really - at trade shows our members correct senior Ricoh people).

Ultimately Ricoh Japan will need to address the problems in North America. I hear they are aware, and are concerned about dSLR sales here.