Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A member from Europe posted his Mode Dial was repaired in less than 24 hours. The issue isn't Pentax or the K-1. The issue is Pentax's woefully bad operation in the USA, the continuing turnover of executives in Denver and the unwillingness or inability to force Precision Camera Service to provide the service part. I think it inexcusable that a run away success product is gradually losing its luster because a small number of people have a ridiculous problem, make a website post that becomes an erroneous assumption of mass failure and Ricoh USA doesn't even try to respond. They continue to live up to their terrible reputation. We know more about their products than they do (really - at trade shows our members correct senior Ricoh people).

Ultimately Ricoh Japan will need to address the problems in North America. I hear they are aware, and are concerned about dSLR sales here.
Well now you have said something. I have been saying all along ,They need to address the turn around time for warranty work . Maybe giving Precision some competition would wake them up.

06-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Steve I see a decent amount of dial mode failure problems on the forum
Your original statement talked about failures in general. Are you narrowing your shock and horror to the mode dial failure (i.e. returning to topic)?

BTW, Ricehigh agrees with you that the problem is common...based solely on the content this thread.

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-1 Mode Dial Failure

Two of his blog followers weighed in, one who may have the same problem and one whose dial physically broke. Whether they have also shared their experience here is unknown.

Steve

(...RH is not good company...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-26-2016 at 07:01 PM.
06-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Well now you have said something. I have been saying all along
...and the part about "the erroneous assumption of mass failure"?

Steve
06-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Is anyone suggesting that using it is user error??
Nope.

Steve

06-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
erroneous wow is that true,

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 10:07 PM ----------

Steve
I wasnt refering to your statements!!!!1. I was refering to the other poster whom understands waiting 3 to six weeks to get your camera back is un acceptable
06-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #66

Talk to your dealer to negotiate an exchange.

Steve
According to the relevant laws of China,I can't exchange it, unless i have to repair it in 4-month later.
06-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #67

erroneous wow is that true,

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 10:07 PM ----------

I wasnt refering to your statements!!!!1. I was refering to the other poster whom understands waiting 3 to six weeks to get your camera back is un acceptable
i think wait a week to get my camera back is unacceptable
06-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #68
Site Supporter

We know more about their products than they do (really - at trade shows our members correct senior Ricoh people).

Ultimately Ricoh Japan will need to address the problems in North America.
Perhaps they should hire me. I am available to consult

Steve

06-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps they should hire me. I am available to consult

Steve
PM me if you are serious
06-27-2016, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a question, in regard to some recent reports of great service from Precision. Is our frustration really a Precision problem or a Ricoh problem?

It is pretty hard to repair your camera if you need parts and don't have them. How could it possible take a month to get a K1....or any other part? It appears that Ricoh is not stocking Precision with the parts needed for repairs. You do not ship parts for repairs on a slow boat from China...or do you.
If I can be in Japan before midnight tonight...or China...or anywhere else...why can't my part do the same?

I think a collective letter to Ricoh, signed by as many members as we can gather demanding better service might have an effect. Maybe not, but it sure won't hurt. If we get no response and there is no improvement in service...then we will at least know that we are purchasing from a company with the only interest of making a profit at the expense of consumer satisfaction.

Anyone want to compose a letter?

Regards!
06-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #71
Site Supporter

I have a question, in regard to some recent reports of great service from Precision. Is our frustration really a Precision problem or a Ricoh problem?
I had a nice long comment started detailing my impressions of the process deficiencies, but decided that posting it would be promoting a thread hijack. The OP had no beef or problem with Precision. A new thread in the repairs section or some other part of the site* might be more appropriate. Just my opinion.

Steve

* Photo industry? Repair problems are not just a Ricoh/Pentax issue.
06-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

* Photo industry? Repair problems are not just a Ricoh/Pentax issue.
I agree that is is not only a Pentax problem...it crosses all brand borders. However, we do know that it can be excellent when it is in the benefit of the Mfg.
Recall the "blob" problem on the Fuji X10. Fuji replaced many hundreds of sensors in record time. It saved them many customers and brought many new ones. This is not impossible, it just takes willingness on the part of the Mfg to accept responsibility and respond accordingly.

If we don't hold them accountable....who will?

Regards!

---------- Post added 06-27-16 at 12:10 PM ----------

I just received a PM from a poster/friend here and I think he should post it in its entirety so we can all see the nature of the problems, and the complexity involved. That's his call, but I think it would be informative and useful to all.

Meanwhile...when I get some time, which is not currently the case, I will compose my own letter to Ricoh and post it somewhere where others can add or subtract and maybe we can come up with something to jointly send to Ricoh....via Certified Mail?

The only reason we continue year after year to have these problems is our refusal to jointly get involved. Maybe we can change that, for the good of us all and for the good of Pentax.

Regards!
06-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #73
Site Supporter

I agree that is is not only a Pentax problem...it crosses all brand borders. However, we do know that it can be excellent when it is in the benefit of the Mfg.
Recall the "blob" problem on the Fuji X10. Fuji replaced many hundreds of sensors in record time. It saved them many customers and brought many new ones. This is not impossible, it just takes willingness on the part of the Mfg to accept responsibility and respond accordingly.

If we don't hold them accountable....who will?

Regards!

---------- Post added 06-27-16 at 12:10 PM ----------

I just received a PM from a poster/friend here and I think he should post it in its entirety so we can all see the nature of the problems, and the complexity involved. That's his call, but I think it would be informative and useful to all.

Meanwhile...when I get some time, which is not currently the case, I will compose my own letter to Ricoh and post it somewhere where others can add or subtract and maybe we can come up with something to jointly send to Ricoh....via Certified Mail?

The only reason we continue year after year to have these problems is our refusal to jointly get involved. Maybe we can change that, for the good of us all and for the good of Pentax.

Regards!
Exactly , you understand the dilemma.
06-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

A major problem is lack of business continuity in Denver. I just recently heard (and probably still is the case) the senior executive out there is the newly-hired Marketing Vice President. The President, Vice President Sales and everyone else more senior by structure and seniority have recently left. 9 months is the corporate leadership seniority if that's true.

They can't follow through on any effort to change things because the change agents have left. This is an ongoing issue. It borders on criminal neglect given the recent efforts to design and release excellent products.

There would be no one to read your letter and act on it in any consistent fashion.
06-27-2016, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

There would be no one to read your letter and act on it in any consistent fashion.
If the letter goes to Japan, someone will read it. If it is delivered by squirrel carrier, I guarantee thy will read it!

Regards!