Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #91
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,699
Base on Nikon Pro Services, you will not qualifyto be parts of their services. You need two professional body and the equivalent to K5 is D7xxx and is not part of the pro line-up.
This mean if your where with Nikon , you will have to wait for repair like everybody else, no looner and else.

06-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #92
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I wish you would have actually read my posts rather than cherrypick what you were looking for. I HAVE a backup - a k5iis (which I made clear in my first post).
Could you please point to where in this thread you said you have a backup? It still escapes me. However, I think I was wrong to make that assumption. I should have asked. So, I apologize. But, I still don't understand the intensity of your agitation. Expecting a new camera instead of having yours fixed seems unrealistic. You were very fortunate that Ricoh resolved your issue the way you wanted it to. You want special consideration because you are a pro. People are always trying to make Ricoh/Pentax into something it is not. First they wanted FF, then mirror-less FF's, and now they want Ricoh to be a professional brand, with all the services, lenses, accessories, service networks, etc, it takes to cater to professional photographers. As far as I can discern, this has never been Pentax's intention. So by all means shoot with Pentax cameras, but understand that depending on them as a professional exposes you to some risks and disadvantages not associated with the professional brands.
06-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #93
Ari
Veteran Member
Ari's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Freehold, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 772
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
Could you please point to where in this thread you said you have a backup? It still escapes me. However, I think I was wrong to make that assumption. I should have asked. So, I apologize. But, I still don't understand the intensity of your agitation. Expecting a new camera instead of having yours fixed seems unrealistic. You were very fortunate that Ricoh resolved your issue the way you wanted it to. You want special consideration because you are a pro. People are always trying to make Ricoh/Pentax into something it is not. First they wanted FF, then mirror-less FF's, and now they want Ricoh to be a professional brand, with all the services, lenses, accessories, service networks, etc, it takes to cater to professional photographers. As far as I can discern, this has never been Pentax's intention. So by all means shoot with Pentax cameras, but understand that depending on them as a professional exposes you to some risks and disadvantages not associated with the professional brands.
What I use cameras for (or whatever anybody uses cameras for) isn't the relevant issue. What agitated me about the experience was that I was facing having a camera in repair longer than I actually owned it. It didn't feel like Ricoh was prepared for releasing the k1. I would have been fine if it would've been in the shop for a day or so (which was the experience of everyone else that had the failure); I had already rented a body for the wedding (to go along with my two backups). What irked me was facing spending almost as much on a rental for three weeks as it would have cost me to buy a new one. Which I would have if there were any to buy. And Pentax (under Hoya) offered a Pro program. And Ricoh does now (but only for 645 users). That seems to be a gap in how they service all of their customers, not just pros. My point of this post was not anything more than addressing what originally was poor customer service that turned into above and beyond fantastic customer service (which I thought Ricoh deserved a nod for) and to alert fellow Pentaxians that the mode dial failure may be something to watch out for. Why you (or anyone else) felt the need to bring my professional career into the conversation still baffles me. Pentax has survived these long years late to the digital game because of us and ONLY because of us. They don't advertise and do not have a sales force to speak of. I thought I was doing my fellow users a favor to keep them informed of what they may be getting into when buying the k1, both positively and negatively.
06-29-2016, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #94
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,719
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Why you (or anyone else) felt the need to bring my professional career into the conversation still baffles me.
I think you brought it into the conversation in your original post....but I do agree it has little or nothing to do with poor or inadequate service.

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
But, I still don't understand the intensity of your agitation.
The man uses his camera to make a living......is there something you missed about that?

I shoot birds and a lot of mangy squirrels, and spend money..... not make it......but I am lost without my main camera. Losing your camera is not like the family dog dying....but it isn't far behind for some of us.

Looking back for 10 years.....here and at DPR and other sites.....poor service for Pentax users is almost as common as the pentaprism. I have my doubts that it will change for the better, knowing how corporations work and what really matters to them, (profit!) I don't see them spending any cash to solve the problem when it is easier to just put out a few "brush fires" once in a while.

So....we come here, we vent our frustrations and then move on....that's how it has always been, and that is why it is likely how it will always be.

Regards!

06-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #95
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by rupert Quote
i think you brought it into the conversation in your original post....but i do agree it has little or nothing to do with poor or inadequate service.



The man uses his camera to make a living......is there something you missed about that?

I shoot birds and a lot of mangy squirrels, and spend money..... Not make it......but i am lost without my main camera. Losing your camera is not like the family dog dying....but it isn't far behind for some of us.

looking back for 10 years.....here and at dpr and other sites.....poor service for pentax users is almost as common as the pentaprism. I have my doubts that it will change for the better, knowing how corporations work and what really matters to them, (profit!) i don't see them spending any cash to solve the problem when it is easier to just put out a few "brush fires" once in a while.

So....we come here, we vent our frustrations and then move on....that's how it has always been, and that is why it is likely how it will always be.

regards!
shame on the mess
06-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #96
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
What I use cameras for (or whatever anybody uses cameras for) isn't the relevant issue. What agitated me about the experience was that I was facing having a camera in repair longer than I actually owned it. It didn't feel like Ricoh was prepared for releasing the k1. I would have been fine if it would've been in the shop for a day or so (which was the experience of everyone else that had the failure); I had already rented a body for the wedding (to go along with my two backups). What irked me was facing spending almost as much on a rental for three weeks as it would have cost me to buy a new one. Which I would have if there were any to buy. And Pentax (under Hoya) offered a Pro program. And Ricoh does now (but only for 645 users). That seems to be a gap in how they service all of their customers, not just pros. My point of this post was not anything more than addressing what originally was poor customer service that turned into above and beyond fantastic customer service (which I thought Ricoh deserved a nod for) and to alert fellow Pentaxians that the mode dial failure may be something to watch out for. Why you (or anyone else) felt the need to bring my professional career into the conversation still baffles me. Pentax has survived these long years late to the digital game because of us and ONLY because of us. They don't advertise and do not have a sales force to speak of. I thought I was doing my fellow users a favor to keep them informed of what they may be getting into when buying the k1, both positively and negatively.
Here is where we differ: "but this is quite ridiculous that they are not just replacing the bodies" From your opening comments.
That is a ridiculous expectation for a warranty repair issue. Your whole thread has been overly emotional, dare I say shrill? Such intense agitation, based on a faulty premise, is really not helpful. Yes, Ricoh needs to up its game when it comes to repair service. Yes, we need to continue to apply pressure on them in hopes that this will come about. But, please do so in a rational way so your complaints will seem credible. Initially, they were not.
06-30-2016, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter
phat_bog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Paris
Posts: 80
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
Here is where we differ: "but this is quite ridiculous that they are not just replacing the bodies" From your opening comments.
That is a ridiculous expectation for a warranty repair issue. Your whole thread has been overly emotional, dare I say shrill? Such intense agitation, based on a faulty premise, is really not helpful. Yes, Ricoh needs to up its game when it comes to repair service. Yes, we need to continue to apply pressure on them in hopes that this will come about. But, please do so in a rational way so your complaints will seem credible. Initially, they were not.
Some pentax guys, like you, should show a bit more solidarity with guys like Ari (or myself) that get "emotional" like you say, when Pentax spoils customer service.
Because :
- maybe you're not empathetic, but that's not a big deal. Just think the same thing could happen to you. And the more you let pass a constructor's liabilites on the market, the more it'll probably happen.
- If the constructor doesn't show enough respect for it's customer, he may leave the brand. And the entourage and so on will be aware, especially as a pro shooter. That's bad for Pentax. If other customers don't show solidarity in these cases, chances are even grater he will dump Pentax. And that's bad business.
- If you don't use Pentax professionally, there's a big change that you're on Pentax because of subjective reasons. Objectively, for hobby photography, all brands do the same job. Chances are you chose Pentax subjectively. So you're not entitled to judge other's subjectiveness.

Learn to care.
06-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #98
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
shame on the mess
Shame on you for calling out Pentax weak areas in every possible thread.

These guys don't.

We've known about it for years. That's why Pentax cameras are priced where they're priced.

For an overpriced, average camera, go to NikonForums.


Last edited by monochrome; 06-30-2016 at 10:38 AM.
06-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #99
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
Some pentax guys, like you, should show a bit more solidarity with guys like Ari (or myself) that get "emotional" like you say, when Pentax spoils customer service.
Because :
- maybe you're not empathetic, but that's not a big deal. Just think the same thing could happen to you. And the more you let pass a constructor's liabilites on the market, the more it'll probably happen.
- If the constructor doesn't show enough respect for it's customer, he may leave the brand. And the entourage and so on will be aware, especially as a pro shooter. That's bad for Pentax. If other customers don't show solidarity in these cases, chances are even grater he will dump Pentax. And that's bad business.
- If you don't use Pentax professionally, there's a big change that you're on Pentax because of subjective reasons. Objectively, for hobby photography, all brands do the same job. Chances are you chose Pentax subjectively. So you're not entitled to judge other's subjectiveness.

Learn to care.
Well, as a matter of fact, I do use Pentax professionally (in the sense that I shoot weddings, real estate, & other stuff for money). And, I have had my go arounds with Ricoh's service, several times in fact. I bought a third camera when one of mine was in the shop. I learned from conversations with Ricoh representatives that they tend to see forum bashers as being sometimes hysterical, projecting the sky is falling scenarios that are statistically incorrect.

I submit that:
- Expressing emotional agitation for warranty/repair issues is not helpful.
- It is especially unseemly for a professional, who should have his butt covered in the event of equipment failure. It so happens he has adequate equipment to shoot both his real estate gigs and his weddings without the need to rent a K1. But, who would have known that based on his histronics? No wonder Ricoh suggested that maybe he should buy another camera. And, why I assumed he had no back up. He wasn't acting like a professional.
- My suggestion is that a more rational critique of Ricoh service will be far more effective, and is, in fact, an expression of solidarity with Pentax shooters. To quote another poster on this thread: "Relax, Ari."

Last edited by skyoftexas; 06-30-2016 at 11:03 AM.
06-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #100
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 723
monochrome are you serious???? that is your reasoning? they make a defective product for a cheap price so that is why we should deal with the defects? I seen a guy on dpreview that had the 645 d take a dump on him. I think he had like 600 clicks on it,and it is 4 yrs old. and they would honor some kind of a courtesy replacement or fix it .they want 3000 dollars to fix it . that camera was $10000 brand new . guess that is a cheap camera hey?? plz show some respect to others here who are less fortunate than you sir.
06-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #101
Site Supporter
phat_bog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Paris
Posts: 80
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
Well, as a matter of fact, I do use Pentax professionally (in the sense that I shoot weddings, real estate, & other stuff for money). And, I have had my go arounds with Ricoh's service, several times in fact. I bought a third camera when one of mine was in the shop. I learned from conversations with Ricoh representatives that they tend to see forum bashers as being sometimes hysterical, projecting the sky is falling scenarios that are statistically incorrect.

I submit that:
- Expressing emotional agitation for warranty/repair issues is not helpful.
- It is especially unseemly for a professional, who should have his butt covered in the event of equipment failure. It so happens he has adequate equipment to shoot both his real estate gigs and his weddings without the need to rent a K1. But, who would have known that based on his histronics? No wonder Ricoh suggested that maybe he should buy another camera. And, why I assumed he had no back up. He wasn't acting like a professional.
- My suggestion is that a more rational critique of Ricoh service will be far more effective, and is, in fact, an expression of solidarity with Pentax shooters. To quote another poster on this thread: "Relax, Ari."
allright, i am sorry for my wrong assumption on your subjectivity.

You point out perfect arguments.

But truth is none of us can know which type of critique will be more effective. As we don't know the future. If some go crazy about it, it simply means they're pushed too much and overdeceived. Rational arguments, shouted loud or not are still rational arguments. If some are more sober, silent and patient, i'm happy about it, congratulations.

So I insist on the fact that both type of pentaxians are to be supported by fellow pentaxians, when Pentax support is failing to properly respond to their legitimate demands.
06-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #102
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
allright, i am sorry for my wrong assumption on your subjectivity.

You point out perfect arguments.

But truth is none of us can know which type of critique will be more effective. As we don't know the future. If some go crazy about it, it simply means they're pushed too much and overdeceived. Rational arguments, shouted loud or not are still rational arguments. If some are more sober, silent and patient, i'm happy about it, congratulations.

So I insist on the fact that both type of pentaxians are to be supported by fellow pentaxians, when Pentax support is failing to properly respond to their legitimate demands.
Point noted.
07-02-2016, 01:31 AM   #103
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
4days my K1 has repaired and came back from Beijing to Shanghai.2:30pm yesterday, ricoh imagine(China) has received my K1 body and 30 minutes later ,a woman who works in ricoh call me for confirm if my address information is correct. 10 minutes ago I received my k1 , so fast !
07-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #104
Ari
Veteran Member
Ari's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Freehold, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 772
Original Poster
......And once again, I would have had NO issue if they were able to repair my camera in a reasonable amount of time. One month turnaround for a camera I owned for a little more than a month is unacceptable on every level, especially since the five other people I knew (all in Europe) had theirs turned around in 24 hours. Whether this is histrionics on my part or not, one of the reasons I shoot with Pentax (and one of their big marketing points) is the rugged build. Mine wasn't as rugged as it should have been. But they did right by me (for whatever reason, even if it was because I called and emailed a lot). So I stick with a brand all of us were told to abandon years ago. I have no intention of doing that. But I do have every intention of expecting the same customer service I received this time if I need it again.
07-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #105
fry
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fulda, Germany
Posts: 8
Hey guys, if something is bad for Pentax' reputation then the mayhem you make out of an issue that can happen to any company.

The K-1 just came out, you knew you were buying a bleeding-edge (yes!) camera that just came into the country and there is more demand than supply, you knowingly bought this camera because you like the FA31, or DFA24-70, or whatever (I love them too), you have a repair case, and the manufacturer helps you out.

Yet you complain about... stuff.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, failure, fuji, involved, issue, issues, k1, k1 mode, lot, mass, offer, pentax, pentax forum, pentax help, people, photography, pm, post, program, repair, ricoh, shooter, time, troubleshooting, weeks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K1 stuck in manual mode ukspeedtraps Pentax K-1 50 10-05-2016 12:41 AM
purchase mode dial? pixelvandal Pentax K-01 20 06-25-2016 06:48 AM
Mode dial not working properly? wralyn Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 11-21-2015 02:32 AM
Mode dial right vs. left hjoseph7 Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 02-17-2015 08:35 PM
Mode Dial Problem nrh771 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 11-03-2014 02:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top