Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fry Quote
Hey guys, if something is bad for Pentax' reputation then the mayhem you make out of an issue that can happen to any company.

The K-1 just came out, you knew you were buying a bleeding-edge (yes!) camera that just came into the country and there is more demand than supply, you knowingly bought this camera because you like the FA31, or DFA24-70, or whatever (I love them too), you have a repair case, and the manufacturer helps you out.

Yet you complain about... stuff.
what do you mean help you out?II f you by a product is it supposed to work end of story, ie especially when you pay $2000 dollars. stop trying to say it is the consumers fault cause you are wrong.

07-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #107
fry

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
what do you mean help you out?II f you by a product is it supposed to work end of story, ie especially when you pay $2000 dollars. stop trying to say it is the consumers fault cause you are wrong.
@niceshot: I haven't said anything like that. It's just that the issue discussed here is a non-issue. Of course, a breaking mode dial is a warranty case, and it is being handled as such, and things like that on a product that just appeared on the market are common. I do not understand what people expect from a manufacturer, and I do not see how this is a case for which to get agitated like "I'm pulling the trigger on the K-1". Jeez, cool down everyone.

---------- Post added 07-04-2016 at 05:50 PM ----------

Put another way: If you expect a product with ZERO issues, and one for which replacement units are readily available, then don't buy a newly arrived products just days after it appeared in your country. Instead, buy the second version of that product about 1-2 years later.

Isn't that common sense?
07-13-2016, 06:24 AM   #108

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately my K-1 also encounters mode dial failure. I sent it to dealer in Taiwan and they said it could be fixed in a week. I'll wait and see if the fix can be on time.
I own K1000, Z1-p, and K-5 and never experience any failure, so this would be my first bad luck on Pentax cameras.

updated on July 18, 2016:
My K-1 was fixed within 2 days, much faster than expected.
They said a part was changed but I didn't ask specifically which one
because I needed to rush to somewhere else.

Last edited by rafaelt; 07-17-2016 at 08:13 PM. Reason: info update
07-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had problems with all of my Pentax bodies, k110d, k-x (several times) and k-30. All of them more or less simple and resolved by some soldering fun or reattaching connectors or similar.

I do not own a K1 yet, and will not be owning one this year for sure, but I have a question for all of you that got your mode dial issue resolved by repair. Did any of the service centers issue a repair log, parts replaced and problem description? If yes, would you care to share it here, or by PM? Also, did the camera switch to M mode when mode dial failed?

Thanks,

Marko

07-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

We waited patiently, loyally for so long, through months of resetting and delaying the release date only to get a product pockmarked with glitches and a manufacturer who is insufficiently responsive. Not fair.
07-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

To be fair the K-1 is on backorder per the Ricoh web site. It would take longer to ship a replacement than to repair in this case. I'm certainly disappointed to hear of so many failures - but it is a new design. Expect a few glitches.
07-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #112
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Sometimes they don't.

The affairs of man are imperfect. That's why we have Warranties.

NikonForums

Last edited by monochrome; 07-14-2016 at 04:42 AM.
07-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Evidently this is becoming a common failure on the K1. I have found at least three other people with the same issue . . .
I've read through this thread but didn't see exactly how the mode dial fails. Do you mean it simply fails to change modes as it should (or at all)?

07-13-2016, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #114
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I've read through this thread but didn't see exactly how the mode dial fails. Do you mean it simply fails to change modes as it should (or at all)?
My understanding is that when it has failed it has failed into Manual mode no matter what the setting was prior to that.
07-13-2016, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
The mode dial turns but the program won't change from Manual. I've sent my K-1 to have it repaired for this very same issue.
07-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #116
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My understanding is that when it has failed it has failed into Manual mode no matter what the setting was prior to that.
You are correct manual mode is the default.
07-21-2016, 08:12 AM - 2 Likes   #117
fry

3 months and 2000 shutter releases into my K-1. No problem whatsoever. Just wanted to note.
08-01-2016, 04:42 AM   #118
Site Supporter

10000 clicks and my mode dial has just failed. Just manual mode regardless of the mode dial position.
08-01-2016, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

To all those complaining about the complainers...Complaining is human nature at its base level. Got a wife or girlfriend? You know the routine and it is never ending. It is who we are and expecting anything else is absurdly ridiculous.

The old adage of the "squeaking wheel gets the grease" is as true today as ever. If there are no complaints there is no improvement in service, it really is that simple. The problem has not been too many complainers, it has been that too few have made waves and loudly voiced their poor treatment. That seems to be changing...and it should. Even Ricoh can only take that squeaking wheel sound for so long before they act to make real improvements in the service of their products.

Regards!
08-01-2016, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #120
Forum Member

I'd be unhappy if the mode dial failed (this is not a cutting edge part of the camera), but am glad to hear that it fails gracefully in a way that leaves the camera usable. Manual mode would be perfect for me and the prospect of being able to complete a shoot with an electronic failure is quite appealing.