Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LinnBJ Quote
I have just experienced this failure, 1 month 10 days after I got the camera.
Talk to your dealer to negotiate an exchange.

Steve

06-13-2016, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Ari
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got the call from Precision camera - the part is on back order for at least a month! I am through with this lousy customer service. I now have to rent a k1 for at least a month!!! You know what Ricoh said when I called to see if they can do about it? They suggested a buy a new camera. I will. But it won't be a Pentax.
06-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I just got the call from Precision camera - the part is on back order for at least a month! I am through with this lousy customer service. I now have to rent a k1 for at least a month!!! You know what Ricoh said when I called to see if they can do about it? They suggested a buy a new camera. I will. But it won't be a Pentax.
Did you contact your dealer when you first started having problems? Most will cover for defects for at least 30 days and many for 60.

Steve
06-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #19
Ari
Veteran Member

Original Poster
B&H has none. Nobody has any for exchange.

06-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Talk to your dealer to negotiate an exchange.

Steve
Thank you, I already have sent a message ..
06-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

B&H has none. Nobody has any for exchange.
I would suggest that waiting for a replacement might be a better solution than waiting for parts and having to pay shipping and having to wait for the repair and return time. OTOH, you might just return the defective camera for credit on a Nikon product that might apply towards qualifying you for their pro program. (Hint: It ain't gonna be cheap or easy to get in: NPS Member Application)

Steve
06-14-2016, 12:37 PM - 8 Likes   #22
Ari
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After many phone calls and emails, Ricoh has decided to replace my camera instead of having to wait for the repair. Hats off to them! They have restored my love and faith in the brand!!!!!

06-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

After many phone calls and emails, Ricoh has decided to replace my camera instead of having to wait for the repair. Hats off to them! They have restored my love and faith in the brand!!!!!
Good to hear!
06-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear but bad to hear it was such an ordeal. Hopefully the replacement will be solid for you.
06-15-2016, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #25

Most happy to tell you my K1 was repaired in less than 1 hour after I delivered it for service! I delivered it at 1:30 today, and got the message that it was fixed and ready to be picked up at 2:24 . I am most grateful for the kind and quick service I got from Norwegian FOVI Her finner du Nordens største Pentax-utvalg - Fovi AS - Pentax Pro Shop and Camera & Videoteknikk Camera.no - Norges beste service team
06-22-2016, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #26
fry

No offense to anyone, but Ricoh does not have a Professionals program, no loaner offer, nothing to offer professional photographers. I am a Real Estate photographer that does about 15 shoots a week. Everyone I know that shoots with the other main systems belongs to their manufacturer's pro program and gets loaners for repairs. I am stuck paying almost $20 a day to borrowlenses for a K1 body that they can't even ship to me till the 15th. And in the grand scheme of things, it would be a nice thing to do to replace the body rather than wait the 3-6 weeks it will take to repair it. I haven't even had the camera for 6 weeks. And, while they were nice enough to cover shipping for me, I had to call them three times within two days to remind them to actually send me the label. If they want to be in the FF game and want everyday pros to use their gear, they need to start acting like big boys and step up to the plate. And yes - I usually keep the lock button off to quickly switch between modes. But I have tried it locked, unlocked, firmware update, battery pull, reset. This is a hardware problem.
Hm.

@all of you complaining: you have bought K-1 instead of, say, a Nikon D810. You got one of the first bodies, there is still a shortage. You have saved, how much? $600? $800? Buying in the US, you saved another, what, $200, compared to the EU (where I live).

Yet you are complaining that Ricoh is not quick in replacing your body (an understandable policy given the shortage of supply) but instead asks you to send in the product for repair, which will surely be free under warranty. And you are complaining about $10 for shipping.

Seriously?
06-22-2016, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Evidently this is becoming a common failure on the K1. I have found at least three other people with the same issue, all about a month into owning the body. I have contacte Ricoh and their only option is to send it in for repair (at your expense). I was able to get them to at least foot the bill for a shipping label, but this is quite ridiculous that they are not just replacing the bodies. I have contacted as many people as I can about this issue within Ricoh Imaging USA - I will continue to contact everyone I can. Please let me know if you have this issue, too. I am a pro shooter so I already have about 3000 actuations on my K1 - the failure may be tied to use, so if you are a casual shooter it may take longer.
Guess I wont be buying a K1, or maybe nothing of Pentax till they change their policy
06-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Guess I wont be buying a K1, or maybe nothing of Pentax till they change their policy
Yet, they have replaced Ari's camera.

I'd call that pretty good service.
06-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No offense to anyone, but Ricoh does not have a Professionals program, no loaner offer, nothing to offer professional photographers. I am a Real Estate photographer that does about 15 shoots a week. Everyone I know that shoots with the other main systems belongs to their manufacturer's pro program and gets loaners for repairs. I am stuck paying almost $20 a day to borrowlenses for a K1 body that they can't even ship to me till the 15th. And in the grand scheme of things, it would be a nice thing to do to replace the body rather than wait the 3-6 weeks it will take to repair it. I haven't even had the camera for 6 weeks. And, while they were nice enough to cover shipping for me, I had to call them three times within two days to remind them to actually send me the label. If they want to be in the FF game and want everyday pros to use their gear, they need to start acting like big boys and step up to the plate. And yes - I usually keep the lock button off to quickly switch between modes. But I have tried it locked, unlocked, firmware update, battery pull, reset. This is a hardware problem.
This kind of shenanigan s is no good for Pentax and their reputation.Wonder what in the world they are thinking?

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 05:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Guess ARI should teach us all how to deal with Ricoh

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 05:39 AM ----------

nice out come,
06-22-2016, 02:48 AM   #30
fry

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

I think in Ari's case, since he is a pro and apparently relies on his gear for a living, it's good that Ricoh made that move.

However, thinking a little bit further, with the current shortage in supply (which I'm sure Ricoh is working hard to mitigate), this "good service" to one implies that somebody else will get his body a little bit later. Suppose that guy would know it, I'm positive he/she would show up here and complain about the Ricoh policy of handling things in his case.