QuoteOriginally posted by scottyb70 Quote
Where did you send yours in?
Precision Camera in Enfield, CT.
11-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #213
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
They did my repair, too. They do a great job (if not being super great at staying in touch with you. But hey - at least they got it done).
11-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #214

Well I checked their rating on Google and the reviews. Doesn't look like too many people are happy with their work?

11-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #215
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I checked their rating on Google and the reviews. Doesn't look like too many people are happy with their work?
Well, so far all is working as should. Went out this weekend and shot for a couple of hours with no problem. I would have to say that I am in the very satisfied customer camp especially with the quick turn around of getting my camera back in a week from when I shipped it.
11-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #216
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello everyone, I have just experienced this failure, I bought my K1 18 months ago ... my2cents

11-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #217

Just for the record, I also had this failure. It was during a foreign trip, but luckily the K-1 has such a wide choice of modes that, even though the dial no longer bore any relation to the mode actually being used, I could still find a dial setting (U5 as it happened) which gave me enough control to keep shooting. My repair experience was good (I live in the UK). I just took it back to the shop where I bought it (Castle Cameras in Cardiff, in case that's of interest to any Pentax-lovers in Wales), they sent it to Ricoh and after a week it came back working. No charge (this was 11 and a half months after purchase).

Now, however, a different problem has surfaced, it switches itself off immediately after being switched on. I'm still looking to see whether there's a thread about this; if not, I'll start one.

11-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #218

I was asked on another thread what the approximate date of manufacture was. It was purchased on 13 September 2016, serial no. 6356267. There are lots of mysterious codes on the bottom of the camera, if anyone knows how to interpret them.

Read more at: K-1 won't turn on - PentaxForums.com
12-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I finally got off my rear and sent my K-1 in to Precision Repair. Very quick turn around by them (about a week) with their usual cryptic note "complete repair and return all functions to factory specs." Bottom line is that their quote of $312.50 when I sent it to them was the final cost - no surprise on this either.

The camera works again and that meets my real need. They did forget to include the camera battery even though they inventoried it. That will get resolved tomorrow.

Did I try to get Pentax to pay for it? No, given that I bought it second hand and had no warranty, I just bit the bullet and got it fixed. I kinda feel mixed on that. Pentax should have acknowledged it as a defect but they didn't. So, I'm just moving on and going back to shooting pictures with my excellent camera.

Read more at: K-1 mode dial failure - PentaxForums.com
12-05-2017, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, I finally got off my rear and sent my K-1 in to Precision Repair. Very quick turn around by them (about a week) with their usual cryptic note "complete repair and return all functions to factory specs." Bottom line is that their quote of $312.50 when I sent it to them was the final cost - no surprise on this either.

The camera works again and that meets my real need. They did forget to include the camera battery even though they inventoried it. That will get resolved tomorrow.

Did I try to get Pentax to pay for it? No, given that I bought it second hand and had no warranty, I just bit the bullet and got it fixed. I kinda feel mixed on that. Pentax should have acknowledged it as a defect but they didn't. So, I'm just moving on and going back to shooting pictures with my excellent camera.

Read more at: K-1 mode dial failure - PentaxForums.com
Rare pragmatic, realistic attitude.
12-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Rare pragmatic, realistic attitude.
LOL, thanks for your support on that.
12-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #222
Pentaxian

I'm old enough to remember the times where TV sets were made of discrete components and could be repaired for a few dollars. Then came the TV sets where there is a huge single chip in the middle of a PCB and usually repair meant changing the entire motherboard, not much cheaper than buying a new tv set. Before I become an industry professional, as a student I was repairing TV sets for pocket money, sometimes I spent 10 hours or more to figure out what went wrong, in-spite of that I charged a fixed price otherwise it wouldn't have been nice for the customer. Some of the repairs are easy, some of the repairs are a pain in the neck and customers don't really know it, they only see the final result. The trouble is, repair is manual (slow), camera manufacturing is more or less automated and in batches (lower cost per unit), that is why the repair cost may look expensive to the user even if it is actually cheap for the time spent on the camera repair case.
12-06-2017, 01:37 AM   #223
Forum Member

K-1 mode dial failure... waiting for recall by Ricoh

Last edited by amodali; 12-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.
12-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #224

I have my camera at Precision for repair trying to say not covered by one year warranty . This is BS I shouldn't have to pay for their Screw Up. I am the original owner, but I do have a 4 year camera accident protection plan through Amazon, Don't know if that will help.
12-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #225
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have my camera at Precision for repair trying to say not covered by one year warranty . This is BS I shouldn't have to pay for their Screw Up. I am the original owner, but I do have a 4 year camera accident protection plan through Amazon, Don't know if that will help.
How long have you owned it?