Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2017, 05:40 AM   #226

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How long have you owned it?
Camera arrived at my house May 5th 2016.

12-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #227
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scottyb70 Quote
Camera arrived at my house May 5th 2016.
I don't know how it works in your jurisdiction, but here, one would be able to argue that there would be a reasonable expectation that an item like a (upmarket) camera should not break down so soon after the warrantee period ends. It may be worth exploring how that would work in your small claims court or similar.
10-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #228

To resurrect this old post, just had the same thing happen to my K1mkII. I can get to user modes, bulb, manual, AV and x only.. Auto, P, Sv, and (weirdly, since it lies between M and AV) Tav won't work - it stays on AV. The locking switch doesn't lock, and moves with the dial which only clicks between the working modes, then gets resistant and while it will move further, won't click or change mode past that point.
10-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awww crap... that is not going to be welcome news to anyone. Sorry man, that really stinks.
Eric

10-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #230

I still have my K3 and the K1 is under warranty so I’ll be fine, just annoying. I’d have thought they’d have identified and resolved this issue before releasing the mkII.
10-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darrell Raw Quote
To resurrect this old post, just had the same thing happen to my K1mkII. I can get to user modes, bulb, manual, AV and x only.. Auto, P, Sv, and (weirdly, since it lies between M and AV) Tav won't work - it stays on AV. The locking switch doesn't lock, and moves with the dial which only clicks between the working modes, then gets resistant and while it will move further, won't click or change mode past that point.
Sounds like a physical issue with the dial (resistance felt). Have you tried with other lenses to see if that might be an issue regarding the modes?
10-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #232
Veteran Member

That is crazy, such a defect still present in the MK II version! And with such a high-end camera! It was bad enough seeing the aperture block failure go on with lower-end designs model after model, year after year. It seems to be a simple replacement of a part that is weak with a more dependable one.

10-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
That is crazy, such a defect still present in the MK II version! And with such a high-end camera! It was bad enough seeing the aperture block failure go on with lower-end designs model after model, year after year. It seems to be a simple replacement of a part that is weak with a more dependable one.
That issue is completely different to the problem initially reported for some K-1s from a specific batch. It has nothing to do with it (read details if you like at users reports in this thread). If you had mounted an old K-mount lens the behavior would be normal, but the not working locking switch and the friction/resistance make me feel that something is broken. If you haven't dropped your K-1mkII (easy to check at the service) then it might be an isolated problem to your camera or a "new issue" on K-1IIs, if more users find same issues in the future.

PS: Read this for descritption of the problem with the K-1s...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/323037-k1-stuck-manual-mo...ml#post3705267

Last edited by redpit; 10-21-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: more info
10-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #234

Should have been corrected long ago.

The mode dial failure was a well known defect of the K-1. I experienced it with my own K-1 after a few months of use. It was fixed and everything has been OK up to now. It is very surprising that it should recur with the new Mk II which should reasonably have been upgraded by correcting earlier defects.
10-22-2018, 03:08 AM   #235

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Sounds like a physical issue with the dial (resistance felt). Have you tried with other lenses to see if that might be an issue regarding the modes?
Yes, tried several other lenses - there's a mechanical failure in the dial mechanism and I think it might be related to the locking switch.

---------- Post added 10-22-18 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
If you haven't dropped your K-1mkII (easy to check at the service)
I've never dropped the camera. It was working the day before when I used both D FA 100mm macro and Pentax A 50mm macro, so was switching between Av and M with no issues at all. Overnight it was securely placed in the middle of a low table, and unless some sprightly fairies threw it around at night then placed it carefully back in the same position, it hasn't fallen off... The following morning, it simply didn't work. I was shooting in a forest, dry warm conditions, using a tripod so it didn't even have a chance to get dirt on it. Whatever happened must have happened when I turned the dial that morning, and must have happened on first touch. I guess from the sound of it it's not exactly the same as the K1 issue, since I can access the modes still (after much fiddling it will now go into the missing modes, but the resistance is almost enough to make the dial un-turnable). I'm sending it in this week, hopefully they will give a report on repair.
10-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #236
Pentaxian

I've never dropped the camera. It was working the day before when I used both D FA 100mm macro and Pentax A 50mm macro, so was switching between Av and M with no issues at all. Overnight it was securely placed in the middle of a low table, and unless some sprightly fairies threw it around at night then placed it carefully back in the same position, it hasn't fallen off... The following morning, it simply didn't work. I was shooting in a forest, dry warm conditions, using a tripod so it didn't even have a chance to get dirt on it. Whatever happened must have happened when I turned the dial that morning, and must have happened on first touch. I guess from the sound of it it's not exactly the same as the K1 issue, since I can access the modes still (after much fiddling it will now go into the missing modes, but the resistance is almost enough to make the dial un-turnable). I'm sending it in this week, hopefully they will give a report on repair.
I didn't imply that you dropped the camera, I just said this would explain that something is broken. The K-1 issue was (as they seem to have taken care of it and all users who faced this problem - including me - found out that our bodies were from the same batch) that the camera was "stuck" at the M mode no matter what mode you had put the selector. The selector it self worked without any signs of uneven friction or strange behaviour both at the locked and unlocked modes. The repair was to change the mode dial selector with a new one. They told me at the service that it was an easy fix that took 1-2 hours and since I got my camera back I had no issue at all. Worst case scenario for your K-1II would be to require a new mode selector too, which is not so awful as I told you.
10-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #237

After three years, I got the same problem 2 months ago.
At the beginning my U1 mode stopped to work, then U2 , then U3 U4 U5, and then stucked in M mode.
10-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ben.p Quote
At the beginning my U1 mode stopped to work, then U2 , then U3 U4 U5, and then stucked in M mode.
Ouch that is bad news. I would start by speaking to your retailer where you purchased.
10-02-2019, 12:55 AM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ben.p Quote
Bad luck but fortunately it is an easy and quick fix.
10-02-2019, 01:21 AM   #240
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
That is crazy, such a defect still present in the MK II version!
It's not crazy at all, the K1 II is a K1, Ricoh didn't change anything adding the accelerator chip on same motherboard PCB, with a firmware upgrade.
IMO it's a dial design issue on both K1 and K1 II. The mode dial is potentially exposed to stress in the corner of the body. When my K1 is in camera bag on its edge, any small hit on the bag will hit the dial and exert stress on the PCB contacts at the bottom of the mode dial wheel. I have one of the first K1 batch affected by the mode dial issue and I know it can fail at any time if some stress would occur on the dial.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-02-2019 at 01:33 AM.