Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 Mode Dial Failure

Evidently this is becoming a common failure on the K1. I have found at least three other people with the same issue, all about a month into owning the body. I have contacte Ricoh and their only option is to send it in for repair (at your expense). I was able to get them to at least foot the bill for a shipping label, but this is quite ridiculous that they are not just replacing the bodies. I have contacted as many people as I can about this issue within Ricoh Imaging USA - I will continue to contact everyone I can. Please let me know if you have this issue, too. I am a pro shooter so I already have about 3000 actuations on my K1 - the failure may be tied to use, so if you are a casual shooter it may take longer.

06-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's still under warranty (which it would be if purchased in your home country) it should be repaired free...
06-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Evidently this is becoming a common failure on the K1. I have found at least three other people with the same issue, all about a month into owning the body. I have contacte Ricoh and their only option is to send it in for repair (at your expense). I was able to get them to at least foot the bill for a shipping label, but this is quite ridiculous that they are not just replacing the bodies. I have contacted as many people as I can about this issue within Ricoh Imaging USA - I will continue to contact everyone I can. Please let me know if you have this issue, too. I am a pro shooter so I already have about 3000 actuations on my K1 - the failure may be tied to use, so if you are a casual shooter it may take longer.
To help identify the source of the issue, do you typically keep the lock button on or off?

Also, regarding the failure, Ricoh of course isn't obligated to replace the body. The repair should be covered under warranty, though. I believe all you have to pay is shipping one way, which is $6.95.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe all you have to pay is shipping one way, which is $6.95.
Will be more than that, unless you go 1st class mail or live very nearby. Last time I paid ~$12-14 (can't remember the extract $) for one way, and I added a little more for insurance. Pentax should cover the shipping for warranty service in Ari's case. Mine was a different story though.

06-08-2016, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I believe all you have to pay is shipping one way, which is $6.95.
I got free shipping just by bringing it into a camera store who shipped it off to Ricoh for me, though this was up here in Canada so might be different in the US.
06-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Ari
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To help identify the source of the issue, do you typically keep the lock button on or off?

Also, regarding the failure, Ricoh of course isn't obligated to replace the body. The repair should be covered under warranty, though. I believe all you have to pay is shipping one way, which is $6.95.
No offense to anyone, but Ricoh does not have a Professionals program, no loaner offer, nothing to offer professional photographers. I am a Real Estate photographer that does about 15 shoots a week. Everyone I know that shoots with the other main systems belongs to their manufacturer's pro program and gets loaners for repairs. I am stuck paying almost $20 a day to borrowlenses for a K1 body that they can't even ship to me till the 15th. And in the grand scheme of things, it would be a nice thing to do to replace the body rather than wait the 3-6 weeks it will take to repair it. I haven't even had the camera for 6 weeks. And, while they were nice enough to cover shipping for me, I had to call them three times within two days to remind them to actually send me the label. If they want to be in the FF game and want everyday pros to use their gear, they need to start acting like big boys and step up to the plate. And yes - I usually keep the lock button off to quickly switch between modes. But I have tried it locked, unlocked, firmware update, battery pull, reset. This is a hardware problem.
06-08-2016, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it would be a nice thing to do to replace the body rather than wait the 3-6 weeks it will take to repair it.
100% agree. Haven't thought about that. I can afford not having my K1 for months, only miss the good camera. But I can still play with other cameras. They don't make $ for me. But for pro, it is a different situation.
Car dealer provides a rental car if they have to keep my car for warranty service for more than a day.
Lacking support probably keeps many pros away from pentax.

06-08-2016, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No offense to anyone, but Ricoh does not have a Professionals program, no loaner offer, nothing to offer professional photographers. I am a Real Estate photographer that does about 15 shoots a week. Everyone I know that shoots with the other main systems belongs to their manufacturer's pro program and gets loaners for repairs. I am stuck paying almost $20 a day to borrowlenses for a K1 body that they can't even ship to me till the 15th. And in the grand scheme of things, it would be a nice thing to do to replace the body rather than wait the 3-6 weeks it will take to repair it. I haven't even had the camera for 6 weeks. And, while they were nice enough to cover shipping for me, I had to call them three times within two days to remind them to actually send me the label. If they want to be in the FF game and want everyday pros to use their gear, they need to start acting like big boys and step up to the plate. And yes - I usually keep the lock button off to quickly switch between modes. But I have tried it locked, unlocked, firmware update, battery pull, reset. This is a hardware problem.
They don't, unfortunately- only for the 645Z Hopefully pro services will become available once the K-1 takes off.

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Will be more than that, unless you go 1st class mail or live very nearby. Last time I paid ~$12-14 (can't remember the extract $) for one way, and I added a little more for insurance. Pentax should cover the shipping for warranty service in Ari's case. Mine was a different story though.
Precision offers a UPS label for a flat fee of $6.95, I believe.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Precision offers a UPS label for a flat fee of $6.95, I believe.
How to print the UPS label? I never know that and always pay at USPS for priority mail.
06-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
How to print the UPS label? I never know that and always pay at USPS for priority mail.
Once you get the label PDF, printing works just like with USPS labels.

I use half-page adhesive shipping labels, which I insert into my laser and fire away. Then I stick it on the box, no tape needed:

http://www.amazon.com/Propackagingsupply-Sheet-Shipping-Labels-Compare/dp/B0...roducts&sr=1-6

Adam

06-08-2016, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
mee
Veteran Member

You've just found the Achilles heel of Pentax.. repair services. Make sure you stay on them.. poking and prodding.. otherwise it can take a bit more time and the communication is really poor from them (Precision). I'm surprised they don't offer Pro services for the K-1 out of the gate though.. that's a big mistake imo not having that in place on day 1 of K-1 release.
06-08-2016, 10:23 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
that's a big mistake imo not having that in place on day 1 of K-1 release.
It's not so difficult to give a new camera, take the old one for being repaired, re-calibrated and selling it second hand, especially when some customers are queuing to get a K1. Ridiculous.
06-09-2016, 12:09 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Like most things, they could just add $150 to the price (optional?) and provide that level of service I guess (probably some decent profit in it for them if priced correctly). I can't imagine only having one camera (or one point of failure on any given thing that is mission critical) as a professional though.

I spent a lot of time, once upon a time, with clients exploring their need for insurance on their consignments...... either way they payed....

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-09-2016 at 12:15 AM.
06-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #14
Ari
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Once you get the label PDF, printing works just like with USPS labels.

I use half-page adhesive shipping labels, which I insert into my laser and fire away. Then I stick it on the box, no tape needed:

http://www.amazon.com/Propackagingsupply-Sheet-Shipping-Labels-Compare/dp/B0...roducts&sr=1-6
UPS and FedEx will just give clear adhesive envelopes to you for free. You can even order them and they'll ship them to you.
06-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #15

I have just experienced this failure, 1 month 10 days after I got the camera.