Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

TWO K-50s giving me the same error !!! Pentax is no help. HELP!!

Short version:
Pentax bought and I discovered that pics thru Viewfinder are much darker than thru Live View. Ran this by Pentax, and they said send for repairs.

Off it went to Precision Camera who replaced a DIAPHRAMG CONTROL BLOCK, their spelling.

Back it came, and it is no better.

Complained to Amazon and they overnighted me a new k-50, that is doing the exact same thing. SEE PICTURES BELOW.

Ran this again by Pentax, and they are sending it on for further review.

Either I have in my hands two defective K-50s---unlikely---, or they are not defective at all, and this is just something/some quirk about DSLR K-50s.

HELP!! I need to send one or both of these K-50s back, soon.

A gentleman said this, and it seems to make sense.
If the parameters change when switching to live view that suggests that it's not the diaphragm block at fault but just a discrepancy between metering through the viewfinder and in live view. This seems to be normal behaviour as certainly my K-r produces brighter images in live view -- I believe it's due to the camera metering off the sensor rather than the prism. The posted pictures don't look typical for aperture block failure either. When my wife's K-x had the aperture problem it would produce vitually completely black frames outdoors unless the sensitivity was cranked way up.

Anyway, what I'm saying is it's good to hear that you're getting a replacement camera but don't be surprised if the new body also exposes a little darker through the vf compared to liveview

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No pictures. Also if you already have a thread open on this you should not start another. On the other hand if the other thread isn't yours this is smart.

I had an aperture block failure on a K-50 and mine was weirder than most. Sometimes I would get vastly OVER exposed shots and but blurry as heck like the shutter was too slow.

I also saw failures where the frames were dark. It was really frustrating. Nothing like a small delta like what I saw with yours. I too have seen LiveView differ from viewfinder results. This is not always brighter but again it seems to boil down to different methods of exposure. Don't sweat that level of difference. If you shoot in RAW you can correct much greater differences than that. The easy way to see if you have the failure is to set the aperture in M mode, set the aperture wide OPEN and then shoot some shots both ways. If the aperture doesn't open all the way on both methods something is weird. You may see the LV stop down during viewing but when you shoot it should open all the way.
06-09-2016, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Each photo has a different shutter speed, ISO, and aperture.
06-09-2016, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The first one was taken using the Landscape setting. It will typically be a slightly darker picture to preserve the highlights, because landscape shooters typically boost the exposure of the darker areas in post processing. Landscape also picks a much smaller aperture for greater depth of field so the pictures will have a bit of a different look and sometimes not look quite as sharp in the center (my K-r likes to pick f11 for landscape mode whenever possible).

The 2nd picture - doesn't contain the setting, but I looked through an online exif viewer and it said "Auto Exposure" which probably means that the camera set the exposure without a preset setting.

To really make a valid comparison you really need to use the same exposure mode on both pictures, without using the Green auto picture setting - because the camera will pick a setting based on whatever you are pointing it at, and if you turn your camera on pointing at two different things in two different times, it will pick two different settings. Why not just pick one - say, landscape for a scene like this - or P (Program mode)? Then based on that, take two pictures.

But to make matters even more complicated, the metering for liveview and for viewfinder viewing *is* different. When you are using the viewfinder, the mirror is blocking the sensor, and there's a metering system in place. When using liveview, the metering is done by reading the sensor data. Two different systems and that means that depending on the scene, the result *could* be different as I honestly don't think the liveview metering system is as evolved as the mirror-based one. I could be wrong, but in the case of my K-r, I know the camera will overexpose in liveview so I just plan accordingly, if I ever want to use liveview.

I will say this though: you now have FIVE threads on this same issue, and that is not the best use of a forum. Why didn't you just update your original thread? Also, you created two new threads basically "shouting" in internet terms, that is very poor internet etiquette.

Finally - you come from point and shoot cameras - perhaps you are expecting to treat a DSLR like just a point and shoot? That might work well in some cases but not in others. Take some time to watch videos on exposure and other DSLR basics, and you will see that once you take control of the camera instead of letting it control your pictures, you will get much more dependable results.

06-09-2016, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RedSky Quote
Pentax bought and I discovered that pics thru Viewfinder are much darker than thru Live View.
This is normal. The difference between live view and viewfinder metering shouldn't be big, but it will almost always be there because of the way that live view meters compared to the viewfinder. It's entirely different hardware. Think along the lines of a third to a half of a stop.

In this case, you also used different shooting modes for the two photos (or the camera picked a different scene mode, same thing) hence an even bigger variation.

TL;DR: it appears that nothing is wrong with your camera Go out there, shoot, and you'll get accustomed to how it behaves and when you need to step in to adjust the exposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Are ALL Pentax DSLR cameras doing this?

Auto setting, shooting a sunlit yard with shade under trees, and bright green sunny grass------this is where it appears most evident-----------shoot one picture with VIEWFINDER then as soon as the camera gives you the next shot, switch to LIVE VIEW and the viewfinder will be noticeably darker than the live view. I think the live view is the most accurate shot.
Does the same with scene mode or manual, viewfinder is noticeably darker than live view.

I have two K-50s doing this and another person has a 3rd. Pentax does not know much, as they instructed me to send my first one back for repairs, which I did, and it did not help.

1. What is defective about these three cameras, OR

2. That there is actually no defect at all, just a characteristics of Pentax DSLRs, or maybe just DSLRs, which is weird. .

I need to send one or both of the K-50s back.

Thanks.

See my post in troubleshooting, and a post in k-30/50 forum. I have two new K-50s and his K-50 are all three giving us different exposures on the exact same picture taken thru viewfinder [dark picture] and then a fraction of a second later thru the viewfinder---which will be fine.
06-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Stop carpet bombing the forum with repeated threads please. You're becoming a nuisance.
06-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I merged the two threads.

06-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
Sorry I have offended so many with my multiple posts and shouting ............ thanks for some info. I'll just go it on my own from here.
06-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

No, I think it's fine to keep working on your issues here. This community is all about helping each other. Just keep it all in the same thread. For example, just a few posts ago you asked us to go to two other threads where you already posted some info on your problems (and you don't have the link to them). Wouldn't it have been much easier to just keep updating the same thread? No one is going to do a search to find your other posts, unless they are really, really bored...
06-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RedSky Quote
Sorry I have offended so many with my multiple posts and shouting ............ thanks for some info. I'll just go it on my own from here.
No need to go it on your own. You need to have patience. There are many people here with great knowledge. All these people probably have lives away from the forum. It may take them hours or days to respond with the information you need.

Just chill. Relax and everything will be fine. We know its frustrating. Good luck.
06-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Option2. No issue.
06-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's normal , liveview give you the best exposure and AE meter give you an exposure with 0.5ev of high light protection. All my cameras do this. No camera is perfect regarding exposure, and that's precisely why all cameras (canon, nikon, sony, fuji, olympus) have what's called exposure compensation to help expose correctly with human judgement. In your case, you can add +0.5ev of exposure compensation.
Closed Thread