Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AdirondackMike Quote
I don't mean to be impertinant, but at garage sale prices, isn't that a foolish question???

Sadly, the camera shelf is full right now and I'm in an active reduction mode. Although I did try to buy two lenses on the marketplace last night and failed, fortunately. Brief flare up of LBA.
Garage sale treasures are great fun and I have gotten some really nice deals, but unless it comes in a big silver metal box marked "FA*" for not very much money I'm mostly going to have to pass.

06-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #17

Original Poster
Saw some of your pics Jatrax, beautiful.
I think I've seen it said here in the forums that D FA lenses, while not * quality,
are also very good. As someone just starting out, and hunting garage sales,
what do you all think?
I may not live long enough to be comfortable with lenses that are fully manual,
I'm retired not ill, but I have an old m 50mm f/2 than came with a K1000 given
to me by a friend that I'm going to play around with.
I'm afraid that while cheap in spirit, I don't want cheap lenses hanging on
my new K-5 ll.
Here's a newbie question as well, 'though it's probably in the wrong forum:

Not being experienced enough to recognize a k mount when I see one is
there a way to tell the mount on a Tamron, Sigma, etc.?
I'll bring the old k1000 to check fit but it would be nice not to look like
an idiot by trying to fit a Canikon mount lens to it.

Thanks for any responses.
Adkmike
06-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I've seen it said here in the forums that D FA lenses, while not * quality, are also very good.
The '*' designation has meant 'best we can make' for a long time. But '*' and DFA are not talking about the same things. There is in fact already one DFA*, the DFA*70-200 f/2.8. K, M, F, FA, DA and DFA are just the lens series.
So there can be DA and DA*, FA and FA* and DFA and DFA*. The puzzling thing is why the DFA 24-70 is not a * lens but the DFA*70-200 is. One might speculate that there will be in the future a DFA*24-??
I have an old m 50mm f/2 than came with a K1000 given to me by a friend that I'm going to play around with. I'm afraid that while cheap in spirit, I don't want cheap lenses hanging on my new K-5 ll.
Manual lenses do not always equate to cheap, or poor quality. The 50mm f/2 is not an expensive lens by any means but should be nice to play around with. I agree completely that having a few really good lenses is better than a closet full of ones you do not use. I can say that from experience But with all the modern glass I have there are a few manual lenses that are still in my bag most of the time. When manual focus is useful a lens designed for that is almost always better than a lens designed for auto-focus. Many of the old prime lenses are still very good. Basically if it was a premium lens back in the day, it is still a premium lens.
is there a way to tell the mount on a Tamron, Sigma, etc.?
Usually they will have 'K', 'KA' or 'KR' on them. One thing I do is take an old extension tube or teleconverter along in my pocket. Simple to just test fit, and you don't have to look silly.

Here is a link to an article by an old forum friend who was a master of garage sale lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-le...ers-guide.html
06-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #19

Original Poster
thanks Jatrax. I had already read "Pawnshop Lenses..." several times. That's what got me interested in garage sales.

No pawnshops here in the north country, but there are some Salvation Army type thrift stores to try.

Adkmike