Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Macro Opinion Please. Is haze affecting quality?

Hi. I am not after critique on the photo, I know it's not spot in focus, but this was taken with an SMC 100mm Maco on my K3, and the lens has some haze and very small fungus, but to my eye it doesn't seem to be affecting image quality, but I would like some more expert opiion if possible please.
Many thanks in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Since it is not in focus it is difficult to tell. Do you have pictures of the haze? If may affect the contrast a little bit.
06-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
and the lens has some haze and very small fungus, but to my eye it doesn't seem to be affecting image quality, but I would like some more expert opiion if possible please.
Sounds like it would be good to get that lens serviced anyway, clean out the fungus, maybe realign the elements, clean them.. this might already raise the optical quality. Depending where you live, you can get this done at a decent price and keep the lens in good health
From the sample photo I can't say there is an obvious problem
06-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Since it is not in focus it is difficult to tell. Do you have pictures of the haze? If may affect the contrast a little bit.
I will take some tomorrow (it's dark here now)

Last edited by photolady95; 06-11-2016 at 03:46 PM.
06-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Also, I hope you are using the lens hood. With older lenses the lens coatings are not as good as on modern lenses. And they are definitely not optimized for digital. This can cause some types of flare that are otherwise almost never seen with modern lenses. Just general information
06-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Also, I hope you are using the lens hood. With older lenses the lens coatings are not as good as on modern lenses. And they are definitely not optimized for digital. This can cause some types of flare that are otherwise almost never seen with modern lenses. Just general information
It doesn't have one, nor anywhere for one. It's an SMC 100mm F4. The front glass is recessed. Pics to come.
06-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Samples

Sadly light has been dreadful here, but here are a couple of samples taken tonight. F32, ISO 800, 1/250th sec
Hopefully these give a better idea.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It doesn't have one, nor anywhere for one. It's an SMC 100mm F4. The front glass is recessed. Pics to come.
Is it this one? SMC Pentax 100mm F4 Macro Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
It has 52mm filter threads, so you can get a cheap hood online, if you want. I don't know just how recessed the front element is, but you can see how much it is shielded from light. Just tilt it with a light source nearby.
Sadly light has been dreadful here, but here are a couple of samples taken tonight. F32, ISO 800, 1/250th sec
Note that above appx. f11 there will be diffraction. At f32, the whole photo will be much softer than at f8. But of course at f32 you have wider DoF. Still, there will be a softness over all the edges, so you will have to add a lot of sharpening in post. I think most macro shooters try to keep it under f16, at least with modern APSC sensors (high pixel density, diffraction sets in quicker than with old film).
That said, the sample photos you posted have a nice look to them. I don't see a problem. Try shooting them at f8. F8 is the aperture that commonly gives the best overall sharpness across the frame with a decent DoF.
Fungus doesn't always degrade image quality, but it can get worse and it can cause other problems. It is still a good idea to have the lens serviced, if you suspect it has problems. Servicing it will also raise its resale value

06-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I actually didn't realise I was on f32! Stupid manual lenses. Anyway, the lens is quite recessed, and I don't like using filters on lenses with this kind of design, I think it gives more chance of refraction issues.
06-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the photos you posted, I don't see a hood being a problem.

I do echo the suggestions to take the lens somewhere for servicing just to get rid of the fungus. Fungus can spread to other lenses, which is something you should try to avoid. The fact that it got in there in the first place means it can get out and into your other equipment.
06-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
From the photos you posted, I don't see a hood being a problem.

I do echo the suggestions to take the lens somewhere for servicing just to get rid of the fungus. Fungus can spread to other lenses, which is something you should try to avoid. The fact that it got in there in the first place means it can get out and into your other equipment.

Thanks.I have made enquiries and need to send it to get an estimate. I could buy another lens the same for 100, so it needs to be cheap!
06-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Understood. It's too bad servicing costs so much. I've run into similar problems before. We (unfortunately) live in a disposable society.
06-15-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Considering that from the super tak through M series 100/4 macro they only differ by the evolution of coatings, and there are a lot about, it might be simpler just to get another copy. Especially SMC-M which are quite common