Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post-processing software

For several years I have been happily processing my photos using iPhoto software on my Mac computer. I find this software simple to use in make prints, and DVD slide shows with music. I recently upgraded my Mac operating system to el Capitan which comes with a new (to me) post-processing system call "Photos".

I was surprised to find that my options for PP on Photos are are very limited compared to iPhoto. I cannot tweak my pics to the same extent any more, unless I am missing some something in the Photos menu. Admittedly, I am still a novice with Photos and need to fiddle with it a little more.

I had gotten used to iPhoto but believe that it is not supported on el Capitan. Therefore I don't think I can download it onto my new operating system.

Should I purchase new PP software such as Lightroom so that I can tweet my pics to my heart's content, or is Photos just as versatile as iPhoto?

06-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photos kinda sucks...

But iPhoto does work on El Capitan. If it was installed before you updated it should still be there. It should even still be listed in the Purchased tab in the App Store app.

I have been using Lightroom for the last year after years of using Aperture. If you can get over the learning curve it is and improvement over anything Apple had.
06-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mac user here, for many years... I've never used iPhoto, Photos, or Lightroom for post...

I use LightZone for basic, and Macphun's Creative Kit for anything else...
06-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
For several years I have been happily processing my photos using iPhoto software on my Mac computer. I find this software simple to use in make prints, and DVD slide shows with music. I recently upgraded my Mac operating system to el Capitan which comes with a new (to me) post-processing system call "Photos".
hmmm... have you tried Apple Photos' levels command? Very cool. Better than Photoshop's. Most people don't know where it is however...

Michael

P.S. go to Edit/Adjust and expand all the controls

06-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is with Lightroom and I would strongly recommend it. However, there is a learning curve and it may (or may not) be more than you need for your purposes. I believe there is still a 30 trial, why not give it a try? If it is overkill for your purpose there are other options.
06-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Do Macs run Raw Therapee?
06-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Do Macs run Raw Therapee?
Yes..

06-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
hmmm... have you tried Apple Photos' levels command? Very cool. Better than Photoshop's. Most people don't know where it is however...

Michael

P.S. go to Edit/Adjust and expand all the controls
Thanks for the advice, Michael. I did use Edit/Adjust to expand the controls for Photos. I also spoke to an Apple person who told me that iPhoto had been simplified and Photos was the result. It was done to be more compatible with iPhones that are used to take pics. He told me, though, that Photos could do just about everything that iPhoto does, except you have to seek out the extra controls to do this. So I'll have to get used to a new system.

He also led me though a complicated route to transfer all my iPhoto pics, about 37,000 of them, to Photos. It should have done this automatically when I upgraded my Mac operating system to El Capitan, but there was a glitch that he had to overcome. Now I have access to all my pics on Photos but will have to tweak them a bit since all my slide shows have lost the music that I selected for them. I expect that with a bit of effort I can get adept at using Photos.
06-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My experience is with Lightroom and I would strongly recommend it. However, there is a learning curve and it may (or may not) be more than you need for your purposes. I believe there is still a 30 trial, why not give it a try? If it is overkill for your purpose there are other options.
Thanks, Jatrax. I think I will eventually upgrade to Lightroom. Many people seem to think highly of it. In the meantime, I'll se how far I can push Photos to meet my needs.

It seems that there are different versions of Lightroom at greatly different prices. Are the cheaper versions less comprehensive and simpler to use?
06-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
It seems that there are different versions of Lightroom at greatly different prices. Are the cheaper versions less comprehensive and simpler to use?
There are only older versions and the latest version.

The latest is Lightroom Creative Cloud / Lightroom 6. CC is licensed on a monthly/yearly basis and the basic plan includes Photoshop. 6 is a stand alone license. Cc gets regular updates and new features, 6 gets minimal updates and no new features.

As for Photos, look into third party extensions, they may make it more usefull..,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205245
06-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Use the trial see if this works for you....

https://www.on1.com/
06-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there's also the Nik suite, which is now free:

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
06-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

These are my thoughts on what my PP flow should be

Open the RAW's in DxO OpticsPro (11) and do the initial corrections there and save in linear DNG's.
Use Lightroom for organizing and corrective/enhancement work (currently Bridge and Photoshop and Nik)
Nik for any black and white work

But I've got a question you guys can help with. I'm not seeing the benefit of going with the Lightroom Photography CC bundle for $120 a year over a one-time buy of Lightroom 6 for approx. $120. With the third party programs I plan to use am I right that CC won't add much if anything over the older standalone LR?

I'll be a first-timer with Lightroom.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-15-2016 at 04:35 PM.
06-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Use the trial see if this works for you....

https://www.on1.com/
Thanks. I'll be sure to try it.
06-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
These are my thoughts on what my PP flow should be

Open the RAW's in DxO OpticsPro (11) and do the initial corrections there and save in linear DNG's.
Use Lightroom for organizing and corrective/enhancement work (currently Bridge and Photoshop and Nik)
Nik for any black and white work

But I've got a question you guys can help with. I'm not seeing the benefit of going with the Lightroom Photography CC bundle for $120 a year over a one-time buy of Lightroom 6 for approx. $120. With the third party programs I plan to use am I right that CC won't add much if anything over the older standalone LR?

I'll be a first-timer with Lightroom.
The CC bundle essentially gets updates with new features while LR 6's feature set was frozen at the same level as the LR CC was at the time LR 6 was first released (April 2015). Since then, the updates that CC have seen include a new dehaze function and some enhanced straightening tools. LR 6 has only seen bug fixes.

Whether that difference is enough to justify the fees is up to you. I personally only got the LR 6 (as an upgrade from LR 5). I don't miss the new functions, so if there is a LR 7 (which would supposedly have the LR CC features missing in 6), then I might buy it and at the current fee structures have saved a bit of money.

However, that savings depends also on whether one is to make use of Photoshop CC (also included in that $120/year bundle). That is probably where the value lies. I am not a photoshop user to any large extent and CS6 will likely hold me over indefinitely. As it is, I'm finding LR 6 to be so bloated that I will likely move to a different software in the future anyway. I've tried out a few recent RAW PP software, and they are all getting comparable once you get past the UI differences.