Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 280
Post-processing software

For several years I have been happily processing my photos using iPhoto software on my Mac computer. I find this software simple to use in make prints, and DVD slide shows with music. I recently upgraded my Mac operating system to el Capitan which comes with a new (to me) post-processing system call "Photos".

I was surprised to find that my options for PP on Photos are are very limited compared to iPhoto. I cannot tweak my pics to the same extent any more, unless I am missing some something in the Photos menu. Admittedly, I am still a novice with Photos and need to fiddle with it a little more.

I had gotten used to iPhoto but believe that it is not supported on el Capitan. Therefore I don't think I can download it onto my new operating system.

Should I purchase new PP software such as Lightroom so that I can tweet my pics to my heart's content, or is Photos just as versatile as iPhoto?

06-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,898
Photos kinda sucks...

But iPhoto does work on El Capitan. If it was installed before you updated it should still be there. It should even still be listed in the Purchased tab in the App Store app.

I have been using Lightroom for the last year after years of using Aperture. If you can get over the learning curve it is and improvement over anything Apple had.
06-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,107
Mac user here, for many years... I've never used iPhoto, Photos, or Lightroom for post...

I use LightZone for basic, and Macphun's Creative Kit for anything else...
06-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member
MJSfoto1956's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,287
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
For several years I have been happily processing my photos using iPhoto software on my Mac computer. I find this software simple to use in make prints, and DVD slide shows with music. I recently upgraded my Mac operating system to el Capitan which comes with a new (to me) post-processing system call "Photos".
hmmm... have you tried Apple Photos' levels command? Very cool. Better than Photoshop's. Most people don't know where it is however...

Michael

P.S. go to Edit/Adjust and expand all the controls

06-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,829
My experience is with Lightroom and I would strongly recommend it. However, there is a learning curve and it may (or may not) be more than you need for your purposes. I believe there is still a 30 trial, why not give it a try? If it is overkill for your purpose there are other options.
06-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,954
Do Macs run Raw Therapee?
06-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RollsUp's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: AK USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,458
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Do Macs run Raw Therapee?
Yes..
06-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
hmmm... have you tried Apple Photos' levels command? Very cool. Better than Photoshop's. Most people don't know where it is however...

Michael

P.S. go to Edit/Adjust and expand all the controls
Thanks for the advice, Michael. I did use Edit/Adjust to expand the controls for Photos. I also spoke to an Apple person who told me that iPhoto had been simplified and Photos was the result. It was done to be more compatible with iPhones that are used to take pics. He told me, though, that Photos could do just about everything that iPhoto does, except you have to seek out the extra controls to do this. So I'll have to get used to a new system.

He also led me though a complicated route to transfer all my iPhoto pics, about 37,000 of them, to Photos. It should have done this automatically when I upgraded my Mac operating system to El Capitan, but there was a glitch that he had to overcome. Now I have access to all my pics on Photos but will have to tweak them a bit since all my slide shows have lost the music that I selected for them. I expect that with a bit of effort I can get adept at using Photos.

06-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My experience is with Lightroom and I would strongly recommend it. However, there is a learning curve and it may (or may not) be more than you need for your purposes. I believe there is still a 30 trial, why not give it a try? If it is overkill for your purpose there are other options.
Thanks, Jatrax. I think I will eventually upgrade to Lightroom. Many people seem to think highly of it. In the meantime, I'll se how far I can push Photos to meet my needs.

It seems that there are different versions of Lightroom at greatly different prices. Are the cheaper versions less comprehensive and simpler to use?
06-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,898
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
It seems that there are different versions of Lightroom at greatly different prices. Are the cheaper versions less comprehensive and simpler to use?
There are only older versions and the latest version.

The latest is Lightroom Creative Cloud / Lightroom 6. CC is licensed on a monthly/yearly basis and the basic plan includes Photoshop. 6 is a stand alone license. Cc gets regular updates and new features, 6 gets minimal updates and no new features.

As for Photos, look into third party extensions, they may make it more usefull..,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205245
06-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
Use the trial see if this works for you....

https://www.on1.com/
06-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,107
there's also the Nik suite, which is now free:

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
06-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 684
These are my thoughts on what my PP flow should be

Open the RAW's in DxO OpticsPro (11) and do the initial corrections there and save in linear DNG's.
Use Lightroom for organizing and corrective/enhancement work (currently Bridge and Photoshop and Nik)
Nik for any black and white work

But I've got a question you guys can help with. I'm not seeing the benefit of going with the Lightroom Photography CC bundle for $120 a year over a one-time buy of Lightroom 6 for approx. $120. With the third party programs I plan to use am I right that CC won't add much if anything over the older standalone LR?

I'll be a first-timer with Lightroom.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-15-2016 at 04:35 PM.
06-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Use the trial see if this works for you....

https://www.on1.com/
Thanks. I'll be sure to try it.
06-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,479
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
These are my thoughts on what my PP flow should be

Open the RAW's in DxO OpticsPro (11) and do the initial corrections there and save in linear DNG's.
Use Lightroom for organizing and corrective/enhancement work (currently Bridge and Photoshop and Nik)
Nik for any black and white work

But I've got a question you guys can help with. I'm not seeing the benefit of going with the Lightroom Photography CC bundle for $120 a year over a one-time buy of Lightroom 6 for approx. $120. With the third party programs I plan to use am I right that CC won't add much if anything over the older standalone LR?

I'll be a first-timer with Lightroom.
The CC bundle essentially gets updates with new features while LR 6's feature set was frozen at the same level as the LR CC was at the time LR 6 was first released (April 2015). Since then, the updates that CC have seen include a new dehaze function and some enhanced straightening tools. LR 6 has only seen bug fixes.

Whether that difference is enough to justify the fees is up to you. I personally only got the LR 6 (as an upgrade from LR 5). I don't miss the new functions, so if there is a LR 7 (which would supposedly have the LR CC features missing in 6), then I might buy it and at the current fee structures have saved a bit of money.

However, that savings depends also on whether one is to make use of Photoshop CC (also included in that $120/year bundle). That is probably where the value lies. I am not a photoshop user to any large extent and CS6 will likely hold me over indefinitely. As it is, I'm finding LR 6 to be so bloated that I will likely move to a different software in the future anyway. I've tried out a few recent RAW PP software, and they are all getting comparable once you get past the UI differences.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, capitan, el, iphoto, mac, pentax help, photography, photos, post processing software, post-processing, pp, software, system, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on post processing software 35wailin Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 12 02-04-2015 12:01 AM
Topaz: Save $180 on the Complete Collection of post-processing software Adam Pentax Price Watch 7 12-04-2013 02:08 PM
Announcing the ArcSoft Post-Processing Software Contest! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 32 10-07-2013 03:03 AM
Post Processing software? mariopato2010 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 06-20-2010 04:54 PM
Which post processing software? montezuma Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 9 07-17-2008 03:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top