Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
Aaah, but you're not a glass tube!
I've been called the last word there on occasion.

06-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not so with the 300... it does stick when I press it down off the camera- is there any chance that this can be fixed with a little oil or something?
I would hold off on the oil. It is probable that something inside is bent and jamming. It is probably fixable, but some disassembly would be required.

Steve
06-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would hold off on the oil. It is probable that something inside is bent and jamming. It is probably fixable, but some disassembly would be required.

Steve
^^^^ What he said.

In your adventures into amateur lens repairs, you get to ruin* one lens by oiling the blades. It's the price of experience. Choose this lens wisely.

*okay, it's not permanently ruined, but it takes a lot of cleaning to recover. There's a reason "no oil on the blades" is often included in descriptions of used lenses.
---
Contact Eric Hendrickson http://www.pentaxs.com/ if you are interested in having it serviced.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 06-12-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added info
06-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
^^^^ What he said.

In your adventures into amateur lens repairs, you get to ruin* one lens by oiling the blades. It's the price of experience. Choose this lens wisely.

*okay, it's not permanently ruined, but it takes a lot of cleaning to recover. There's a reason "no oil on the blades" is often included in descriptions of used lenses.
---
Contact Eric Hendrickson Home if you are interested in having it serviced.
Haha yes, lens DIY can be risky! I declicked an old lens once completely by accident.... Lucky it only cost me $5! 😂😂

06-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Analogy: You are trying to merry an 90 year old man to a 20 something woman. Nice, but...

Isn't it time to lower this old man, err lens into the grave ? RIP
06-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Analogy: You are trying to merry an 90 year old man to a 20 something woman. Nice, but...

I don't know about that. My M42 300mm f4 works just fine, and it's got to be older.
06-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #22

Original Poster

Perhaps, but it's the only one I could afford! Works fine when the sun is low, on an overcast day and the planet's are aligned! What is the new Pentax equivalent?

06-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps, but it's the only one I could afford! Works fine when the sun is low, on an overcast day and the planet's are aligned! What is the new Pentax equivalent?
SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #24

Original Poster
Seems like a great lens for the money! Is there a third party equivalent like sigma or tamron?
06-13-2016, 12:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I don't know about that. My M42 300mm f4 works just fine, and it's got to be older.
It was said in jest
06-13-2016, 04:45 AM   #26

Original Poster
It was said in jest
It a all good! 😊😄
06-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #27

Hi Elvinhaak, this lens has no A setting on the ring at all
Of course not, but the body might just 'think' that your lens is in the 'A'-setting because the lens is powdered or making a bad contact with the 'A'-contact on the body.

The system the body notices is simple: if there is a contact present between the 'A'-contact on the body and 'earth' there is a non-'A'-lens on the body or the lens is set to another aperture then 'A'.
If there is no contact on the 'A'-contact, the body knows that the lens is set to an 'A' so that the body controls the aperture.

So: if you don't have a good contact between the lens and the body, the body calculates that your lens is an older 'A'-lens and thus would try to set the aperture itself .Since it cannot connect digitally to the lens, it stays open.

I have experience with this ... had to sand my lens to make contact on the 'A'-contact and the problem was solved.
06-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was said in jest
Ach! Sorry! Color me dull!

---------- Post added Jun 13th, 2016 at 06:26 AM ----------

Seems like a great lens for the money! Is there a third party equivalent like sigma or tamron?
If you're open to a zoom, give this a look: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elvinhaak Quote
The system the body notices is simple: if there is a contact present between the 'A'-contact on the body and 'earth' there is a non-'A'-lens on the body or the lens is set to another aperture then 'A'.
If there is no contact on the 'A'-contact, the body knows that the lens is set to an 'A' so that the body controls the aperture.
Other way around for the "A" contact. What you are describing is related to the "data" pin*. The camera will test for continuity between that pin on the body and the lens mount as a means of telling whether a lens is mounted and will gate some functions based on the result.

Steve

* The "A" pin is at position #3, while the "data" or "digital contact information" pin is at position #7 See article HERE

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-13-2016 at 08:36 AM.
06-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #30

Original Poster
Does the 300mm give a 400mm field of view on the Kx even though it's a DA digital lens?