Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

55-300 Zoom lense is locked unable to move it at all have it mounted on K-50.

55-300 F4-5.8 lense working fine yesterday but went to use today and it is locked it is on my K-50 and doesn't seem to be making contact, switched to another lense and it is working fine, any suggestions.

06-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try cleaning the lens mount contacts on the camera and lens
06-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaryLouise Quote
55-300 F4-5.8 lense working fine yesterday but went to use today and it is locked it is on my K-50 and doesn't seem to be making contact, switched to another lense and it is working fine, any suggestions.
I'm not sure what you mean by locked, but if it's not making contact I second bertwert's advice.
06-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Marketplace Reseller

Can you manually turn the focus and zoom rings when the lens is not attached to the camera? If one or the other is physically stuck, you probably have a broken bushing inside the lens

06-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you mean by locked, @MaryLouise ? I gather you can mount and unmount it from the camera?

The first thing is to try to work out whether it's a mechanical problem in the lens itself, or a problem with the way the camera talks to the lens.

When the lens is off the camera, does the zoom ring turn? Does the focus ring turn?

With the lens off the camera, have a look at the base of the lens, where it mounts to the camera. There is a spring-loaded lever there. It controls the aperture blades in the lens. Move the lever and watch whether the aperture blades open and close.

If any of those things are not working, there's your problem. Unless you are particularly handy, best to take it to a camera repair shop.

If all those things are working, chances are the problem is with the contacts in the lens mount. As Bertwert says, clean them first (try a lens wipe or something like that and wipe with a clean microfibre cloth). Clean the mount on the camera while you are at it.

Then mount the camera on the lens. Does it autofocus when you half-press the shutter button? Switch the camera to manual focus and see whether you can focus the lens manually? Try zooming in and out?

Now try to take a picture. Try aperture priority mode. The idea is to see whether the lens responds to the camera's instruction to set a particular aperture.

Let us know how you get on.

Try again with some other lenses too. (Just a lingering concern that the problem might be the aperture control mechanism in the camera, but let's not jump to conclusions.)
06-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks so much for prompt reply I have cleaned contacts but still nothing, what I mean by locked is when I hold the lens in my hand I am unable to move it at all its like its locked or frozen. Could I have touched something that would prevent it from moving? really baffled this lens was purchased new at the end of November so pretty new, still under warranty so guess that would be my next move. I have a number 1-800-461-6203. it is for service related questions , would you suggest I call? I would return to place of purchase but it was bought in Alberta when I was on holidays and I am in Ontario. Thanks in advance for advice.

---------- Post added 06-12-16 at 04:49 PM ----------

Des the answers to your questions... when lens is off camera zoom ring does not turn nor the focus ring
I moved the spring loaded lever and the aperture blades open and close
Cleaned the contacts, camera and lens
Takes a picture in MF but not in aperture priority
Tried other lens and working fine

dcshooter to answer your question cannot manually turn focus and zoom ring when lens is not attached to the camera.
06-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaryLouise Quote
when lens is off camera zoom ring does not turn nor the focus ring
Seems strange that they should both be stuck.

Unless one of the gurus here has a simple solution, I'd take it back under warranty. You don't need to send it back to the retailer in Alberta. Contact your nearest Pentax authorised service centre in Ontario. They will probably require proof of purchase of course.
06-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the help, appreciate it and will get it in to service centre..

06-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is the lens fine when dismounted?

If not, definitely send it in. If so, then try wiggling the focusing ring a bit after mounting it. Sometimes it needs a little bit of help to engage.

Also, do you have the DA or DA L version?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is the lens fine when dismounted?

If not, definitely send it in. If so, then try wiggling the focusing ring a bit after mounting it. Sometimes it needs a little bit of help to engage.

Also, do you have the DA or DA L version?

No the lens is not fine when dismounted. Tried wiggling the focus ring but nothing moves. I have the DA version.
06-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
mee
Site Supporter

It really just needs to go to repair.. there is nothing you can do to fix it.

That said, depending on the issue, it might be cheaper to just buy another copy.. but def check with service and see what they say.
06-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It really just needs to go to repair.. there is nothing you can do to fix it.

That said, depending on the issue, it might be cheaper to just buy another copy.. but def check with service and see what they say.
She said the lens is still under warranty, so should be a no cost fix.