Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #1

K50 and Second Curtain

I've been shooting for a while and decided to get out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to shoot some second curtain photos. I've seen a discussion on this, but not with the K50.

Problem: No trailing light images and no solid ending image.

Setting: TV (1 to 2 seconds), F8, ISO 100

06-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Can you clarify ... Are you asking about 2nd Curtain Sync flash photography?
06-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes. I don't know of any other second or rear curtain, but I'm certainly willing to learn. What other one is there?
06-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

well I wasn't sure either, so I was just checking that you weren't talking about something I'd never heard about!

If its working correctly, then the shutter should open first, and the flash should fire later, just before the curtain closing again ....

What flash are you using, and have you set 2nd curtain sync on the flash or camera? On the camera it's in the flash mode screen, and with an accessory flash it will be set on the flash control panel, if supported.

06-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
On the camera it's in the flash mode screen
...and will apply to the built-in flash only...

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
with an accessory flash it will be set on the flash control panel
^^^^ ...on the flash...P-TTL...

P-TTL preflash will still occur for both cases.

Steve
06-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
I noticed that there is a 'pre' flash. The flash on the camera comes at the end of the 1 or 2 second shots. Oddly enough, that doesn't happen with an external flash (Bolt VS-150P) which I bought specifically because it was compatible with the Pentax and had second curtain.

What I want to see is a light trail and then a solid image. What I'm getting is no solid image and no light trail.
06-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think we'll need more specific settings information and an image to be able to suggest any more ....
06-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry62712 Quote
Oddly enough, that doesn't happen with an external flash (Bolt VS-150P) which I bought specifically because it was compatible with the Pentax and had second curtain.
If you have no pre-flash, then the there is a problem. If there is no pre-flash, the mode is other than P-TTL mode and second curtain sync will not work.
  • Make sure your flash is in P-TTL mode ("TTL" in flash LCD)
  • Set slave/sync switch on flash back to far right position
  • Confirm shutter speed less than 1/80s (the camera should enforce this rule)

Steve

07-29-2016, 12:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you have no pre-flash, then the there is a problem. If there is no pre-flash, the mode is other than P-TTL mode and second curtain sync will not work.
  • Make sure your flash is in P-TTL mode ("TTL" in flash LCD)
  • Set slave/sync switch on flash back to far right position
  • Confirm shutter speed less than 1/80s (the camera should enforce this rule)

Steve
Yes, there is a pre-flash. If I set the mode to "Slave", then I can't set the second curtain as they are the same as they are on the same slider (S, 2nd, 1st). When it is in "Slave" there is no TTL. When it is in 2nd, there is TTL, but there is no slave mode ignore the first flash.

I sent it in and after a few weeks they sent it back saying it was working. But they haven't explained how you get both slave and 2nd at the same time.

I see they have a 570P for just a few dollars more. I wonder if it will work. Anyone ever use either?
07-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry62712 Quote
Yes, there is a pre-flash. If I set the mode to "Slave", then I can't set the second curtain as they are the same as they are on the same slider (S, 2nd, 1st). When it is in "Slave" there is no TTL. When it is in 2nd, there is TTL, but there is no slave mode ignore the first flash.

I sent it in and after a few weeks they sent it back saying it was working. But they haven't explained how you get both slave and 2nd at the same time.

I see they have a 570P for just a few dollars more. I wonder if it will work. Anyone ever use either?
So, 2nd curtain sync works. Glad you got that part worked out. As for the matter of using 2nd curtain sync in slave mode, it is clear from the control layout that your flash does support that combination. That sucks.

Steve
07-29-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
OK, confession time. I was wrong. While I was right in talking about second curtain (at least I'm not that bad a newbie), the problem was not getting the flash to go off on the second flash from the camera. About 3 in the morning I realized that the problem was with the slave mode on the flash. The second curtain wasn't the issue from the flash's point of view.

I got that to work twice out of 35-40 test last night. Obviously it should have worked by flashing on the slave mode (1) when the camera's second flash went off. I would have the flash in my hand with the front sensor facing the camera holding it a foot in front and above the camera. Later, I tried setting it on a counter and standing a few feet away, again with the sensor on the front in view of the camera flash. In both cases it was inside so the unit wasn't overpowered by outside light.

I called Bolt (Gradus Group) today and said they should pay for the return this time as I paid for it the last time and it's still broken. They said B&H will call about it next week. I'll tell them the same thing and that I don't want my money back, I just want a flash that does what it says it will do.