Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Custom image settings for Pentax K5

Hi,
Just got used Pentax k5 and wonder if anyone knows the factory settings for the Custom Image Finishing Tones. The previous owner has moved every slider for every parameter into the middle so every image looks the same.I guess he thought this feature was one best avoided???

06-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can reset the camera to the default settings in the menu. Press menu, look for the spanner, go to page 3, it is simply called 'Reset'.

Welcome to the forums too BTW.
06-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
TAS beat me to it, on both scores.

Did a reference manual come with the camera? If not, you can download a PDF version from the Ricoh website.
06-19-2016, 06:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
You can reset the camera to the default settings in the menu. Press menu, look for the spanner, go to page 3, it is simply called 'Reset'.

Welcome to the forums too BTW.
Thanks for quick response...unfortunately that doesn't work...it seems to reset to what you have tweeked and in my case nil parameters.

06-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
TAS beat me to it, on both scores.

Did a reference manual come with the camera? If not, you can download a PDF version from the Ricoh website.
Cheers I did get a 375 page Operating Manual but that is just a list of instructions. Its fine, tells you all the camera is capable of but not why or in what conditions. I will look for a book that actually tells you how to use the camera.
06-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I believe the Custom Image presets are all distinct from each other, even though the sliders are in the same centre positions. The sliders are fine tuning controls for you to adapt from the default for each preset. However, like the white balance presets. (dalight/tungsten tc) each one has a different look even with the fine tuning sliders centred ...so for example 'saturation' level 0 is different for the landscape preset than the 0 setting for the portrait preset .... At least that's my understanding of how it works.
06-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I believe the Custom Image presets are all distinct from each other, even though the sliders are in the same centre positions. The sliders are fine tuning controls for you to adapt from the default for each preset. However, like the white balance presets. (dalight/tungsten tc) each one has a different look even with the fine tuning sliders centred ...so for example 'saturation' level 0 is different for the landscape preset than the 0 setting for the portrait preset .... At least that's my understanding of how it works.
Hi,
Yes i humbly apologise...the reset does reset. What caught me out was the parameters for Portrait,Natural and Vibrant are all the same now but the radar type diagram is different for each one and that was something I didn't spot.
I sort of do / don't understand but at least I now know the camera is operating correctly.
06-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I suppose this could be checked by taking a shot with, say, the landscape preset, then the exact same scene again with the Natural one. .... Even though the sliders might be centred for both, is there a difference in the processing between them ?

06-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes the vibrant does stand out but Portrait and Natural very similar.
I wonder why Pentax only put the sliders in the neutral position on Portrait,Natural and Vibrant?
I am guessing that the schematic radar type thing is a universal way of showing tone and can be found on all top end DSLR's. Somebody somewhere will actually understand the schematic and use it!!
06-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's to give you the full range of adjustment .... If the landscape saturation slider started at the plus 3 position then you'd only have 1 more position available to boost saturation. Starting at 0 I think we've got 8 positions in total. I think each preset gives a different amount of effect for each 0 setting, and then you have the full range of the slider to make your fine tunings. I believe these personal adjustments are saved independently for each preset.

The 'radar" thing is really a grid type control ... Settings along the bottom and up the side as well. This is for colour adjustments that have 2 components ...eg White Balance with cool and warm along one side and magenta/ green along the other. In the Custom image settings I think this one is used for the Hue adjustment.
06-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
I understand the reasoning for putting the slider in the neutral position but its a bit baffling when they don't use the same logic for all the tones. You are right it does save your preferences until you use "reset"
After starting this thread I have been looking at other peoples ideas for tweaking the tone parameters and there seems to be an unlimited number of combinations that people use (and swear by ) I guess its just a matter of taste