Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Battery Charging.

Hi. Was out with my K5 this morning and it seemed a bit 'out of salts', not running right. Focusing seemed a bit off and the shutter locked open at one stage. The battery was indicating a 1/3 left and yellow segment showing. Fitted another fully charged battery and the camera was back to normal, as far as I could tell. Is it possible the low battery charge could cause focusing issues, and at what stage should the battery be recharged? I've usually run it to the empty red rectangle so could this cause problems with the battery? Thanks.

06-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No, it's a lithium battery so running it empty wont hurt it. The battery indicator isn't all that accurate so the battery can have a lower charge then it is showing. Usually I charge mine when it first turns yellow. I use a grip so if I am out in the field I have it set to the grip first then switch to the camera battery on low battery indication on the grip
06-19-2016, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

all batteries have an internal resistance that resist the flow of current. On a new battery, this resistance is low. On some batteries as they age, this resistance builds up and the available current is less than what the device needs to operate. Under normal conditions when the device is not drawing much power, the voltage can show that the battery is good. this is why you cannot use a voltmeter to check the condition of a battery. It needs to be under a load. Charge the battery, and make a note on how many shutter clicks you are able to get out of it. If it does not perform as expected, replace it. It's not worth the aggravation.
06-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
all batteries have an internal resistance that resist the flow of current. On a new battery, this resistance is low. On some batteries as they age, this resistance builds up and the available current is less than what the device needs to operate. Under normal conditions when the device is not drawing much power, the voltage can show that the battery is good. this is why you cannot use a voltmeter to check the condition of a battery. It needs to be under a load. Charge the battery, and make a note on how many shutter clicks you are able to get out of it. If it does not perform as expected, replace it. It's not worth the aggravation.
Agreed. Also, under heavy loads (i.e. when focusing in AF-C), I have experienced unexpected freezes when the battery was close to being empty. Best to start out fresh for every shoot!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Agreed. Also, under heavy loads (i.e. when focusing in AF-C), I have experienced unexpected freezes when the battery was close to being empty. Best to start out fresh for every shoot!
Funny you write that Adam. That's exactly what happened. AF-C then shutter froze. Thanks. Still can't understand the poor focusing though. That was AF-S and well before the shutter problem. As already mentioned, will monitor the performance, or better still, just get a new battery.

Last edited by geoffw; 06-19-2016 at 11:45 PM.
06-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

had the camera freak out n quit on a low battery today on med burst on a k-3ii.....need to monitor if its a bad battery.....drained very quickly today....