Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
2. Watch out for the Ricoh pin on that lens, but otherwise it is probably a good lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
As already suggested the "Ricoh Pin" could be a problem.
This is a common misconception, but there is no Ricoh pin on any of the XR-series Rikenons. To the best of my knowledge, the pin is limited to the Rikenon-P series lenses and third-party lenses made to support Ricoh's program exposure line of cameras. For Rikenons, the key is the presence of a green "P" on the aperture ring. The aperture rings on third-party lenses having the pin is variously labeled, "P", "A", or "AE".

Steve

06-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to assert the same thing earlier, but wasn't near any of my Rikenons and could not be absolutely sure. Now that I am, I see that my Rikenon P is positively identified by a P on the ring around the front element; the XR is not.

I was of the opinion that the authentic Rikenon P lenses were never the problem as their pin was round-ended and could slip out of the AF screwdrive "pit".; it was the third-party ones which were the problem as their pin was square and couldn't ride up and out. Of course if anyone has actually had an authentic Rikenon P stuck on their Pentax AF camera, please feel free to contradict me. (As for me, I used my 55mm/1.2 Rikenon-P for a solid month and never had a hitch. But the XR is no threat.)
06-22-2016, 01:17 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I kind of disagree with Adam I'm afraid, I think that a K7 and 40mm lens for $300 is a much better deal than just a body for $400. Sure, K7 isn't the latest and greatest but for 95% of photography situations it's still perfectly ok. With the $300 deal you can actually take shots but with the $400 deal you can't, you still need to buy a lens. Have a look at this link, it'll show you what you can do with a K7.
Thanks for your suggestion...

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 01:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
1. Don't try using that flash, you may fry your camera.
2. Watch out for the Ricoh pin on that lens, but otherwise it is probably a good lens.
The K-5II is a better camera than the K-7, although you're basically paying 200% more for it. Not sure if it's worth it, can you try and get a lens into that deal?

PS Did you ask this on the on the FB group by any chance?
Thanks for cautioning me regarding Flash, I wont use it.
Yes I also asked the same question on FB page also

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 01:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I have a K-7 and the 400mm lens as well, a great combination. The K-5ii would be a better camera body no doubt. I also have a K-5iis which is a far better camera body then the K-7. The K-7 would be an excellent camera to begin with provided it is in good condition and not too many shutter actuations. Mine has over 55,000 and still going strong.

I also use a number of Ricoh lenses, not that particular model though. As already suggested the "Ricoh Pin" could be a problem. There is plenty of information on this site about the Ricoh Pin. I understand there are two types of pin. One has a rounded end and the other a flat end. A lens with the flat pin can become stuck on the camera as the pin locks into the focus screw drive on the camera body. The round pin does not lock in, at least not in my experience. If you are interested in that lens examine it carefully and do a search for Ricoh Pin on this site. It should be a fairly simple matter to identify the type of pin this lens has. If it has a flat end beware. There are also extensive guides on how to remove this pin from the lens if it is a problem.

Best wishes.
Thanks Bruce for cautioning me of possible problem while using Rcoh lenses but fortunately my lens didn't had any Pin!
06-24-2016, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a K7 owner, I will let you decide if high ISO noise is acceptable or not. DA50mm at ISO 5000, band in a bar.

Frankly, I think you would enjoy the K7.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-30-2016, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #20

I would always start with cheap body and quality lens. It's both economically and optically wise, no matter whether you invest more later or ditch the hobby.
07-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Guys I bargained and got an lens free (Sigma 28-105mm) with K-5ii. The manual was not included though I downloaded the PDF from the Ricoh website, Can you guys suggest additional videos/ tutorials, coming from a different brand its little difficult understanding the dials and Menu.

Searched on the Pentax forum, got some idea from this link Pentax DSLR Shooting Modes Explained - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

can you please suggest some other link for a beginner.