Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-7 with 40 limited

Hi All!

I am Puneet from India, I need a suggestion from you guys, I am getting 2 deals in second hand Pentax cameras:-

1. K7d bundled with Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited for about US$300. The lens has great review my only question is isn't K7 quite dated or would be ok to start with?
2. K-5ii body only for US$400

Which one is a better deal? I have been using MFT Olympus EM5 for the last 3 years, I am not happy with its EVF so thinking to buy another system with OVF.
I am totally new to Pentax your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

06-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by puneet.gaur Quote
Hi All!

I am Puneet from India, I need a suggestion from you guys, I am getting 2 deals in second hand Pentax cameras:-

1. K7d bundled with Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited for about US$300. The lens has great review my only question is isn't K7 quite dated or would be ok to start with?

Which one is a better deal? I have been using MFT Olympus EM5 for the last 3 years, I am not happy with its EVF so thinking to buy another system with OVF.
The sensor in the K-7 isn't the best (sorry K-7 owners), that said getting the camera plus the lens at that price is an absolute bargain. Is there heavy mileage on the camera perhaps? The lens alone is worth around $300.

Overall I'd still recommend that you grab a K-5 / K-5 II if you can afford it, as the difference in image quality is well worth it. You can expect 1.5-2 stops better noise performance, not to mention better dynamic range, improved AF, faster burst, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2016, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Thanks...

Thanks for your valuable input.

Even I was not interested in dated equipment, I will go for k-5ii than which 1 lens should I add initially?

I have my fathers Old Ricoh 1.4/50 lens will I be able to use that lens?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
06-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for your valuable input.

Even I was not interested in dated equipment, I will go for k-5ii than which 1 lens should I add initially?

I have my fathers Old Ricoh 1.4/50 lens will I be able to use that lens?
Probably not much of a reason to use that over the on-board flash, since it would be manual only.

As for lenses, the DA 18-135mm is a good starter / walkaround zoom. On the prime front, the DA 50mm and 35mm are affordable yet excellent optically.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You will be able to use that lens. There are instructions on the Forum for how to do so.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Your father's Ricoh lens functions the same as a Pentax K or M, and will let you get started if you buy the K5ii body only, while you save up for other lenses. You will still have to focus the lens yourself, but the camera will tell you when you are in focus.

---------- Post added 21-06-16 at 06:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Probably not much of a reason to use that over the on-board flash, since it would be manual only.
It looks like it has a thyristor regulator, so it might actually be a useful and somewhat more powerful addition within its limits. OP should read the manual if they've still got it, or Mike Butkus's site might have it.
06-21-2016, 02:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the link, it would be very helpful!

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You will be able to use that lens. There are instructions on the Forum for how to do so.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Your father's Ricoh lens functions the same as a Pentax K or M, and will let you get started if you buy the K5ii body only, while you save up for other lenses. You will still have to focus the lens yourself,
QuoteQuote:
but the camera will tell you when you are in focus.
Just like focus peaking?

---------- Post added 21-06-16 at 06:16 ----------

It looks like it has a thyristor regulator, so it might actually be a useful and somewhat more powerful addition within its limits. OP should read the manual if they've still got it, or Mike Butkus's site might have it.
06-21-2016, 02:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The sensor in the K-7 isn't the best (sorry K-7 owners), that said getting the camera plus the lens at that price is an absolute bargain. Is there heavy mileage on the camera perhaps? The lens alone is worth around $300.

Overall I'd still recommend that you grab a K-5 / K-5 II if you can afford it, as the difference in image quality is well worth it. You can expect 1.5-2 stops better noise performance, not to mention better dynamic range, improved AF, faster burst, etc.
DA 40 is closer to $200 these days, less on ebay.
https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-smc-p-da-40mm-f2-8-limited-lens.html

06-21-2016, 03:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Just like focus peaking?
I can't remember if the K-5ii has focus peaking - I know my original-model K-5 does not - but it does light up a little green hexagon inside the viewfinder, and depending on how you have the options set up it will also beep.
06-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #9
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-5IIs was excellent camera! I still regret having sold it. But ...
As we see things are progressing too fast. Now I would rather wait for
a time and pile up some money for something new.
06-21-2016, 04:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi All!

I kind of disagree with Adam I'm afraid, I think that a K7 and 40mm lens for $300 is a much better deal than just a body for $400. Sure, K7 isn't the latest and greatest but for 95% of photography situations it's still perfectly ok. With the $300 deal you can actually take shots but with the $400 deal you can't, you still need to buy a lens. Have a look at this link, it'll show you what you can do with a K7.
06-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

1. Don't try using that flash, you may fry your camera.
2. Watch out for the Ricoh pin on that lens, but otherwise it is probably a good lens.
The K-5II is a better camera than the K-7, although you're basically paying 200% more for it. Not sure if it's worth it, can you try and get a lens into that deal?

PS Did you ask this on the on the FB group by any chance?
06-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-7 and the 400mm lens as well, a great combination. The K-5ii would be a better camera body no doubt. I also have a K-5iis which is a far better camera body then the K-7. The K-7 would be an excellent camera to begin with provided it is in good condition and not too many shutter actuations. Mine has over 55,000 and still going strong.

I also use a number of Ricoh lenses, not that particular model though. As already suggested the "Ricoh Pin" could be a problem. There is plenty of information on this site about the Ricoh Pin. I understand there are two types of pin. One has a rounded end and the other a flat end. A lens with the flat pin can become stuck on the camera as the pin locks into the focus screw drive on the camera body. The round pin does not lock in, at least not in my experience. If you are interested in that lens examine it carefully and do a search for Ricoh Pin on this site. It should be a fairly simple matter to identify the type of pin this lens has. If it has a flat end beware. There are also extensive guides on how to remove this pin from the lens if it is a problem.

Best wishes.
06-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's a tricky one, this 'is it worth it' question. The quick answer is to say that if you shoot in reasonable light when handholding, and in that reasonable light you don't need more than ISO 800, the K7 provides very fine image quality and resolution.

In low light situations on a tripod at ISO 100, again, very good IQ, with the proviso that some shadow NR would be needed.

For low light situations where ISO 800 is needed then the results can be acceptable but with the need for general noise reduction over the whole image. In low light situations then ISO1600 is likely to produce results that disappoint or need too much NR work. Work within these limits and you've got a great camera to meet many needs.

---------- Post added 21-06-16 at 14:37 ----------

---------- Post added 21-06-16 at 14:40 ----------

Last edited by mcgregni; 06-21-2016 at 07:43 AM.
06-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can't remember if the K-5ii has focus peaking - I know my original-model K-5 does not - but it does light up a little green hexagon inside the viewfinder, and depending on how you have the options set up it will also beep.
It does not. Focus peaking was launched on prime M bodies and then joined the flagship lineup starting with the K-3.

Adam

06-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
1. Don't try using that flash, you may fry your camera.
Yeah, good point. Get someone who knows how to measure the flash trigger voltage.