Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Maybe I have a different definition of street photography than y'all, but I regularly shoot with my 43 (previously my 40) and 77 for the subject.
The right lens is the one that works for you Typically, though, a wider angle lens is more conducive to certain street photography methods such as shooting with the camera held at the waist or just above, which is more covert or at least less obvious. You can also get a lot more of the environment in with your subject, which may be crucial to context. And, of course, the wider the lens, the greater the depth of field, allowing for easier approximate pre-focusing... Not so easy with longer focal lengths.

06-22-2016, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Maybe I have a different definition of street photography than y'all, but I regularly shoot with my 43 (previously my 40) and 77 for the subject.
There are many styles of street photos. Henri Cartier-Bresson and Bruce Gilden are classic street photographers but their styles are very, very different from each other.
06-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
There are many styles of street photos. Henri Cartier-Bresson and Bruce Gilden are classic street photographers but their styles are very, very different from each other.
Woah, I hadn't heard of Bruce Gilden before so I fired up image search- the results were...striking. Some NSFW in there, if anyone is on their lunch break.
06-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Gilden acts like a jerk, unexpectedly snapping flashes in front of people's faces for the deer-in-headlights look.

06-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woah, I hadn't heard of Bruce Gilden before so I fired up image search- the results were...striking. Some NSFW in there, if anyone is on their lunch break.
Some of that stuff isn't even mindsafe, let alone worksafe. One thing it seems you cannot accuse Gilden of is only chasing the prettiest faces.
06-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone! Ended up taking my 18-55, 55-200 and 40mm prime, so everything is covered!
06-25-2016, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
Thought I'd share some of the shots here, for anyone who's interested?