Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Used K-3 II with 3200 counts vs New K-70

I know there already are some discussions going on in the internet about K-70s vs other stuff, but I'm a newbie to Pentax and hoped get some advises from experienced Pentax users. My question is pretty straightforward as the title suggests. Would you prefer to have K-3 II with 3200 shutter counts for $650? or get a new body of K-70 releasing next month in same price? Value-wise, which on do you think is better? Besides the K-70's advantages over K-3 II, the AF functionality, Wi-fi, and articulated LCD, the price point they offered on the bundle that comes with a pretty good kit lens (18-135mm WR) makes me more than happy to purchase this camera. The seller on ebay, however, says he mainly used the camera in the studio and offered shipping and return fee in case I'm not satisfied. I like the build quality, electronic monitor on the top of the camera, battery life and the GPS of the K-3 II as well, but mostly the build quality. Flash....? well...taking pictures in the darker situations is not my purpose of buying a camera at this point. I'm more into nature, landscapes and casual pictures in bright daylight and maybe some Astro shots. At this moment I'm more in to the new K-70, to be honest. And there is a poll indicating K-70 is slightly more preferred over K-3s as well. But this thread, I did not just created to see who want which camera more, but I also wanted to learn from different perspectives of experienced people. I hope to see some great responses. Thanks!

06-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

K-3II for me for sure.
06-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So which comes with the 18-135? At the price point I'd choose that if both were the same price, but one came with the lens.
06-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
So which comes with the 18-135? At the price point I'd choose that if both were the same price, but one came with the lens.
The new K-70 comes with the lens, but with $900 tag which is a $250 saving from a new lens. The body onlys are both $650 for K-3 II and K-70

06-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
The new K-70 comes with the lens, but with $900 tag which is a $250 saving from a new lens. The body onlys are both $650 for K-3 II and K-70
K3II and find a used 18-135.
06-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
But, could you elaborate why you would prefer K-3 II over the new feature packed K-70?

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
K-3II for me for sure.
Why though?
06-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 II has better AF, GPS, 200k shutter, (probably) quieter shutter, top ergonomics & composition adjustment. The K-70 has OBF, wifi, tilty screen, less weight and a warranty (since it's new). One big advantage of the K-3 II is that you can have it right now - new or used. You won't have the K-70 for probably at least one month. Tough call, but you know what they say about a bird in the hand...

06-21-2016, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

But, could you elaborate why you would prefer K-3 II over the new feature packed K-70?
The K3 can use a grip, is rated for more shutter life most likely, and will have a more pro/solid feel to it. Plus, you can get it now and it should hold better value. Dual card slots is awesome.
06-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
K-3 II has better AF, GPS, 200k shutter, (probably) quieter shutter, top ergonomics & composition adjustment. The K-70 has OBF, wifi, tilty screen, less weight and a warranty (since it's new). One big advantage of the K-3 II is that you can have it right now - new or used. You won't have the K-70 for probably at least one month. Tough call, but you know what they say about a bird in the hand...
I thought AF is better with K-70 according to the demonstration video[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqrMbU7q94"] and
[/URL]

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 07:40 PM ----------

I thought AF is better with K-70 according to the demonstration video and [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJXdMJMchdY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJXdMJMchdY[/URL]
and
06-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would go with the K3-II myself but only just barely. The K-70 appears to have the important features that have been left out of the K-50/30 in the past. 14 bit raw, better AF, etc. The addition of Pixel shift is a major step up on par with the flagship apsc body. The K3-ii does offer a few features that the K-70 lacks, dual slots for SD cards is one of those, battery grip is another, top LCD is a third. WiFi and tilting screen are really nice features the K-70 has over the K-3ii.

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 10:43 PM ----------

I think in Live View there may be advantages to the K-70 but not in normal optical viewfinder mode.
06-21-2016, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

+1
No question. 3200 counts is nothing, like new.
06-21-2016, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I know there already are some discussions going on in the internet about K-70s vs other stuff, but I'm a newbie to Pentax and hoped get some advises from experienced Pentax users. My question is pretty straightforward as the title suggests. Would you prefer to have K-3 II with 3200 shutter counts for $650? or get a new body of K-70 releasing next month in same price? Value-wise, which on do you think is better? Besides the K-70's advantages over K-3 II, the AF functionality, Wi-fi, and articulated LCD, the price point they offered on the bundle that comes with a pretty good kit lens (18-135mm WR) makes me more than happy to purchase this camera. The seller on ebay, however, says he mainly used the camera in the studio and offered shipping and return fee in case I'm not satisfied. I like the build quality, electronic monitor on the top of the camera, battery life and the GPS of the K-3 II as well, but mostly the build quality. Flash....? well...taking pictures in the darker situations is not my purpose of buying a camera at this point. I'm more into nature, landscapes and casual pictures in bright daylight and maybe some Astro shots. At this moment I'm more in to the new K-70, to be honest. And there is a poll indicating K-70 is slightly more preferred over K-3s as well. But this thread, I did not just created to see who want which camera more, but I also wanted to learn from different perspectives of experienced people. I hope to see some great responses. Thanks!
In a nutshell: the K-70 has some of the latest technology, but as a flagship series model the K-3 II has a better build quality and much more durable design. It also has a better viewfinder autofocus system and white balance system. Value-wise I'd say they're neck-and-neck, so go for what's more important to you: durability/longevity, or modern features.

Also note that the K-70 won't be available for at least another month.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have a K-3II. It is the most advanced Pentax aps-c dslr. During nice weather, it would take me approximately 3-4 days to get 3000-4000 shots. I almost always use "Single Shot" mode, so I do not see my shutter release as being harmed or easily being damaged if I do not abuse it. That way shutter count is not a negative issue for me. I have always bought new cameras, but if the used one you mentioned is still covered by some sort of warranty it may be a deal for you unless you decide on a new one altogether. Good luck.
06-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In a nutshell: the K-70 has some of the latest technology, but as a flagship series model the K-3 II has a better build quality and much more durable design. It also has a better viewfinder autofocus system and white balance system. Value-wise I'd say they're neck-and-neck, so go for what's more important to you: durability/longevity, or modern features.

Also note that the K-70 won't be available for at least another month.

How is the white balance on the K-3 II better?

Lee
06-21-2016, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
How is the white balance on the K-3 II better?

Lee
More specifically, it's the metering system. The K-3 has the more advanced 86k-pixel sensor, rather than the 77-segment meter in older/lower-end models.

The biggest difference that I've observed is in out-of-camera colors at night. Here's an example taken with AWB:

K-3:

K-S1:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: