Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Used K-3 II with 3200 counts vs New K-70

I know there already are some discussions going on in the internet about K-70s vs other stuff, but I'm a newbie to Pentax and hoped get some advises from experienced Pentax users. My question is pretty straightforward as the title suggests. Would you prefer to have K-3 II with 3200 shutter counts for $650? or get a new body of K-70 releasing next month in same price? Value-wise, which on do you think is better? Besides the K-70's advantages over K-3 II, the AF functionality, Wi-fi, and articulated LCD, the price point they offered on the bundle that comes with a pretty good kit lens (18-135mm WR) makes me more than happy to purchase this camera. The seller on ebay, however, says he mainly used the camera in the studio and offered shipping and return fee in case I'm not satisfied. I like the build quality, electronic monitor on the top of the camera, battery life and the GPS of the K-3 II as well, but mostly the build quality. Flash....? well...taking pictures in the darker situations is not my purpose of buying a camera at this point. I'm more into nature, landscapes and casual pictures in bright daylight and maybe some Astro shots. At this moment I'm more in to the new K-70, to be honest. And there is a poll indicating K-70 is slightly more preferred over K-3s as well. But this thread, I did not just created to see who want which camera more, but I also wanted to learn from different perspectives of experienced people. I hope to see some great responses. Thanks!

06-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,481
K-3II for me for sure.
06-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,418
So which comes with the 18-135? At the price point I'd choose that if both were the same price, but one came with the lens.
06-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
So which comes with the 18-135? At the price point I'd choose that if both were the same price, but one came with the lens.
The new K-70 comes with the lens, but with $900 tag which is a $250 saving from a new lens. The body onlys are both $650 for K-3 II and K-70

06-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,418
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
The new K-70 comes with the lens, but with $900 tag which is a $250 saving from a new lens. The body onlys are both $650 for K-3 II and K-70
K3II and find a used 18-135.
06-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
K3II and find a used 18-135.
But, could you elaborate why you would prefer K-3 II over the new feature packed K-70?

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
K-3II for me for sure.
Why though?
06-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,827
K-3 II has better AF, GPS, 200k shutter, (probably) quieter shutter, top ergonomics & composition adjustment. The K-70 has OBF, wifi, tilty screen, less weight and a warranty (since it's new). One big advantage of the K-3 II is that you can have it right now - new or used. You won't have the K-70 for probably at least one month. Tough call, but you know what they say about a bird in the hand...
06-21-2016, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,418
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
But, could you elaborate why you would prefer K-3 II over the new feature packed K-70?
The K3 can use a grip, is rated for more shutter life most likely, and will have a more pro/solid feel to it. Plus, you can get it now and it should hold better value. Dual card slots is awesome.

06-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
K-3 II has better AF, GPS, 200k shutter, (probably) quieter shutter, top ergonomics & composition adjustment. The K-70 has OBF, wifi, tilty screen, less weight and a warranty (since it's new). One big advantage of the K-3 II is that you can have it right now - new or used. You won't have the K-70 for probably at least one month. Tough call, but you know what they say about a bird in the hand...
I thought AF is better with K-70 according to the demonstration video[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqrMbU7q94"] and
[/URL]

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 07:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
I thought AF is better with K-70 according to the demonstration video and [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJXdMJMchdY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJXdMJMchdY[/URL]
and
06-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,843
I would go with the K3-II myself but only just barely. The K-70 appears to have the important features that have been left out of the K-50/30 in the past. 14 bit raw, better AF, etc. The addition of Pixel shift is a major step up on par with the flagship apsc body. The K3-ii does offer a few features that the K-70 lacks, dual slots for SD cards is one of those, battery grip is another, top LCD is a third. WiFi and tilting screen are really nice features the K-70 has over the K-3ii.

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 10:43 PM ----------

I think in Live View there may be advantages to the K-70 but not in normal optical viewfinder mode.
06-21-2016, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,531
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
K3II and find a used 18-135.
+1
No question. 3200 counts is nothing, like new.
06-21-2016, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,144
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
I know there already are some discussions going on in the internet about K-70s vs other stuff, but I'm a newbie to Pentax and hoped get some advises from experienced Pentax users. My question is pretty straightforward as the title suggests. Would you prefer to have K-3 II with 3200 shutter counts for $650? or get a new body of K-70 releasing next month in same price? Value-wise, which on do you think is better? Besides the K-70's advantages over K-3 II, the AF functionality, Wi-fi, and articulated LCD, the price point they offered on the bundle that comes with a pretty good kit lens (18-135mm WR) makes me more than happy to purchase this camera. The seller on ebay, however, says he mainly used the camera in the studio and offered shipping and return fee in case I'm not satisfied. I like the build quality, electronic monitor on the top of the camera, battery life and the GPS of the K-3 II as well, but mostly the build quality. Flash....? well...taking pictures in the darker situations is not my purpose of buying a camera at this point. I'm more into nature, landscapes and casual pictures in bright daylight and maybe some Astro shots. At this moment I'm more in to the new K-70, to be honest. And there is a poll indicating K-70 is slightly more preferred over K-3s as well. But this thread, I did not just created to see who want which camera more, but I also wanted to learn from different perspectives of experienced people. I hope to see some great responses. Thanks!
In a nutshell: the K-70 has some of the latest technology, but as a flagship series model the K-3 II has a better build quality and much more durable design. It also has a better viewfinder autofocus system and white balance system. Value-wise I'd say they're neck-and-neck, so go for what's more important to you: durability/longevity, or modern features.

Also note that the K-70 won't be available for at least another month.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,392
I have a K-3II. It is the most advanced Pentax aps-c dslr. During nice weather, it would take me approximately 3-4 days to get 3000-4000 shots. I almost always use "Single Shot" mode, so I do not see my shutter release as being harmed or easily being damaged if I do not abuse it. That way shutter count is not a negative issue for me. I have always bought new cameras, but if the used one you mentioned is still covered by some sort of warranty it may be a deal for you unless you decide on a new one altogether. Good luck.
06-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 624
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In a nutshell: the K-70 has some of the latest technology, but as a flagship series model the K-3 II has a better build quality and much more durable design. It also has a better viewfinder autofocus system and white balance system. Value-wise I'd say they're neck-and-neck, so go for what's more important to you: durability/longevity, or modern features.

Also note that the K-70 won't be available for at least another month.

How is the white balance on the K-3 II better?

Lee
06-21-2016, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,144
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
How is the white balance on the K-3 II better?

Lee
More specifically, it's the metering system. The K-3 has the more advanced 86k-pixel sensor, rather than the 77-segment meter in older/lower-end models.

The biggest difference that I've observed is in out-of-camera colors at night. Here's an example taken with AWB:

K-3:


K-S1:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, auto, camera, card, counts, counts vs, demonstration, dslr, features, flash, ii, k-3, k-3 ii, k-70, k3, k3-ii, lens, pentax help, pentax k-3, photography, pictures, price, quality, shutter, troubleshooting, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-70 or used k-3/k-3 II? gelokrol Pentax K-70 83 03-14-2017 09:00 PM
Wanted - Acquired: KatzEye Focus Screen for K-3 (K-3, K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50, K-500), New or LN fwcetus Sold Items 15 05-07-2016 08:01 PM
K-3 vs K-3 II Shake Reduction mee Pentax K-3 11 12-02-2015 04:53 PM
K-3 vs K-5 II write speed mee Pentax K-3 15 09-27-2015 11:36 PM
AF.C on K-5 II vs K-3 StigVidar Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 06-22-2015 09:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top