Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi folks the OP is talking about the mirror, not the sensor.

06-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You really do not want any kind of solvent that will leave a residue, and methanol is the preferred cleaner over alcohol. The problem with methanol is that it is highly flammable and if you need to have if you buy it online or need to travel with it, the airlines have obvious objections. So a company that's been making sensor cleaning (which works well on mirrors too) Eclipse has come out with a non-flammable solution called Aero-Clipse.

Photographic Solutions Aeroclipse Digital Sensor Cleaning AERO

I wouldn't recommend Q-Tip swabs unless you're desperate; cotton fibers/lint can come off on the mirror or mirror box and eventually onto the shutter or sensor. Ideally you'd use one-time-use lintless sealed swabs intended for cleaning without leaving fibers or lint like the ones included in this Eclipse kit.

Photographic Solutions Sensor Swab ULTRA Kit (Type 2) UK2 B&H

They come in various sizes. The smaller ones are more versatile for use on not just APS-C sensors, but if you're shooting FF, you can find larger swabs.

Keep us posted and tell us what worked or didn't. Good luck.

BTW: I have found that no camera is IR (insect resistant) if the lenses and cameras are not always capped. You just gave me a great idea for an art project. Put a whole colony of ants in a camera and dub the camera Antax.
06-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"My hovercraft is full of eels.........."
Whilst sympathising with the OP with his insect-related obfuscation, am I alone in detecting something slightly Pythonesque in his posting???
06-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Better an ant than a spider, I guess.

I would suggest pointing the camera downwards, lens off, and fire a prolonged burst of shots, like 20 shots. All that mirror flapping might simply shake the ant off.

06-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi folks the OP is talking about the mirror, not the sensor.

True. Still, I've found the sensor cleaner I use works well for cleaning he mirror, too.
06-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

they used to have small ended vacuums that cleaned out the keys in a computer keyboard. they are cheap if you can find one

Randy
06-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ant was not dislodged by rocket blower. Ant was not dislodged by several hundred more shutter actuations. Any bets on whether the dead ant will still be stuck to the mirror when I get back in a week?

06-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

tweezers?
06-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #24

First surface mirrors are very delicate. Since ants have a lot of formic acid in them most likely some sort of spot or pit will be left on the mirror. If it will not dislodge with an air blower you can try to dislodge it with a small water color brush - #0 or #1 - camel hair or sable should not scratch the mirror unless you really grind it in there. I would probably not attempt to do any wet cleaning once the ant is dislodged.

Make sure there is no sizing on the brush before using. Press in a bending motion gently against a regular hand mirror and the whack the handle of the brush on your palm and repeat until no more bits of sizing come out. Or just rinse and dry the brush thoroughly before using.

One of the sticky sticks for picking dust or larger debris off the sensor should work too.
06-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Make sure there is no sizing on the brush before using.
If you're not sure, wash the brush with a little bit of dishwashing liquid and dry well before use.
06-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Ant was not dislodged by rocket blower. Ant was not dislodged by several hundred more shutter actuations. Any bets on whether the dead ant will still be stuck to the mirror when I get back in a week?
Honestly, I'd just use a damp q-tip and very gently work at it until it's gone. These cameras aren't made of cotton candy.