Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

problem with my PENTAX K3-ii

Hallo,
I have recently bought a K3-ii, I have been using it attached to a telescope for contrail spotting. I have recently been on vacation and eventually managed to use it with my 2 lenses (18-55mm and 55-300mm). I am using the continuous shooting and what happened to me twice was that the photos were being taken also when my finger wasn't pressing the shutter release button. A third time I had to switch off my camera in order to make it stop. Am I the first to witness such a problem? What do you reccomend? The camera is still on guarantee.
Another thing I would like to ask is that I noticed that the mirror has some stains on it, it seems its dried humidity. Is there a way I can clean the mirror myself or should I have it cleaned by a professional?
Thank you in advance!
Vas

06-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you say the camera was exposed to humidity enough to reach the mirror, does the shutter button feel sticky at all? If it's the button that is sticking, then bulb mode should also show some anomalies: depending on how you set the behavior in custom settings, by default you have to hold it, so it would stay open even when you release the shutter if it is sticking. Another idea: are you commonly using any cable release, or have gotten that socket dirty/wet?
06-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vas Quote
Hallo,
I am using the continuous shooting and what happened to me twice was that the photos were being taken also when my finger wasn't pressing the shutter release button. A third time I had to switch off my camera in order to make it stop. Am I the first to witness such a problem? What do you reccomend? The camera is still on guarantee.
Were the unwanted photos saved to the memory card? If not, this might be the runaway mirror flopping up and down bug, i.e., only the mirror is moving -- the shutter is not firing and photos are not being taken. However, I don't know if this bug has occurred on the K-3ii or if it was limited only to the K-3. Either way, send it in for warranty repair.
06-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Vas

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply.
#aaacb#: the shutter button doesn't feel sticky at all and I have never used the bulb mode, to be honest I don't know in which situations it should be used! As far as the cable release is concerned, I use it only when the camera is attached to the telescope for the contrail pictures. When I use it "normally" I don't use the cable.
#pete-tarmigan#: this problem happened 3 times and to be honest I didn't check whether the photos were saved! Should it happen again I will make sure I control.

There is something I would like to ask both of you. I bought the camera online from a shop that resides in Rome. I called to inform them about the problem and they told me that the assistance centre is located in the city of Turin, where I called and the first thing they asked me is to read them the code under the camera. They told me that this PENTAX is not "fowa" (Fowa professione immagine) and they cannot help me so I called back to the shop and they told me they will get informed where faulty cameras (not "fowa") are fixed! My question is are you acquainted with this distinction fowa-non fowa? To me personally this sounds absurd!
Thank you again for your help.

Sincerely
Vas

06-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Is this a warranty claim? Is the assistance centre run by Ricoh Imaging Europe or a retailer?

From what you have written I'm guessing that you are trying to say that the repair facility authorized by Ricoh Imaging Europe to repair Pentax cameras under warranty is refusing a warranty claim because the camera was purchased from a retailer that is not authorized by Ricoh Imaging Europe to sell Pentax products. If that is the case, then you should try to contact Ricoh Imaging Europe directly. In addition, laws in your province or country may require Ricoh Imaging Europe to honour the warranty regardless of which retailer you bought the camera from.