Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2
Firmware update problems - K-3ii

My first post here...
Just got my first 'real' camera, a Pentax K-3ii, and I love it. Now I'm having trouble updating the firmware.

I've downloaded the v1.21 firmware (I'm on 1.0), extracted the .bin file and copied it to formatted SD1. When I get to step 4 of the instructions "Turn camera On while holding the Menu button.", the camera just comes on normally rather than begin the update.

Any help??

06-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,390
I doubt if there is any update for the K-3II. Maybe for the K-3, but not the K-3II. I would leave it alone for now.
06-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
forensicscientist's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: DFW Texas and Maine - I commute :)
Posts: 889
I believe 1.21 is for the original K-3.....and the K-3II is still on ver 1.0

they are not interchangeable
06-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 889
There is no update for the K3II.

I too have just bought one and checked the Pentax site.

06-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,390
Just check to see if the version 1.0 is still active on your camera. If you do not know how, hold the Menu button down while you turn on your camera. If it still reads version 1.0 most likely you are alright.
06-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tobold Quote
My first post here...
Just got my first 'real' camera, a Pentax K-3ii, and I love it. Now I'm having trouble updating the firmware.

I've downloaded the v1.21 firmware (I'm on 1.0), extracted the .bin file and copied it to formatted SD1. When I get to step 4 of the instructions "Turn camera On while holding the Menu button.", the camera just comes on normally rather than begin the update.

Any help??
Thank you all for your replies - that probably explains it. I was sure I was getting K-3ii stuff - I'll go back and check the site again.
Anyhow - camera is working great on 1.0 firmware.
06-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,128
QuoteOriginally posted by Tobold Quote
Thank you all for your replies - that probably explains it. I was sure I was getting K-3ii stuff - I'll go back and check the site again.
Anyhow - camera is working great on 1.0 firmware.
There are currently no updates for the K-3 II. However, expect one in the very near future. This update will add support for the latest KAF4 lens mount type, which uses an electromagnetic aperture actuator. This will add support for the new DA 55-300mm PLM RE lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Michi Joel's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Catalonia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are currently no updates for the K-3 II. However, expect one in the very near future. This update will add support for the latest KAF4 lens mount type, which uses an electromagnetic aperture actuator. This will add support for the new DA 55-300mm PLM RE lens.
And maybe fix the battery drain when the camera is off . Now always i remove it

06-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,260
QuoteOriginally posted by Michi Joel Quote
And maybe fix the battery drain when the camera is off . Now always i remove it
The problem with that is the backup battery for the clock only has a limited full discharge/recharge cycle. After that the backup battery won't hold a charge and you have to set the time and date every time you remove and install the main battery.
06-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are currently no updates for the K-3 II. However, expect one in the very near future. This update will add support for the latest KAF4 lens mount type, which uses an electromagnetic aperture actuator. This will add support for the new DA 55-300mm PLM RE lens.
I wonder if the K-1 firmware already has this support, or whether there will be an update for that soon too?

(I also wonder if any of the lenses on the latest roadmaps will be KAF4 lenses? I suspect answers are not available at the moment!)
06-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Michi Joel's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Catalonia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem with that is the backup battery for the clock only has a limited full discharge/recharge cycle. After that the backup battery won't hold a charge and you have to set the time and date every time you remove and install the main battery.
Tnx so much for the answer but i don't understand it yet sorry

06-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Quartermaster James's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Michi Joel Quote
Tnx so much for the answer but i don't understand it yet sorry
Short version: continually removing the battery is going to degrade your built in battery more rapidly.

Have you tried turning off the GPS logging?
06-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,128
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I wonder if the K-1 firmware already has this support, or whether there will be an update for that soon too?

(I also wonder if any of the lenses on the latest roadmaps will be KAF4 lenses? I suspect answers are not available at the moment!)
There will be an update.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michi Joel Quote
And maybe fix the battery drain when the camera is off . Now always i remove it
Shouldn't it only drain when the GPS track logging is enabled? If it does otherwise your camera might be affected by the service advisory that impacted the earliest production units (in this case the repair is free).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Michi Joel's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Catalonia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
The GPS is always ON! (GPS track logging is disabled) Oh i'll go to disable the GPS immediatly and prove it.
I will write here the result

TNX guys!
06-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Quartermaster James's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Michi Joel Quote
The GPS is always ON! (GPS track logging is disabled) Oh i'll go to disable the GPS immediatly and prove it.
I will write here the result

TNX guys!
Hmmm...just checked my K-3ii and the battery is unexpectedly depleted. Hmmm...
GPS logging is off, and serial number is out of range of the recall/service advisory.
Hmmm...could the problem be more extensive than previously thought?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, firmware, firmware update k-3ii, k-3ii, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firmware the same for K-3 & K-3II? glee46 Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 07-05-2015 06:02 PM
K-50 Firmware Update Paul Katinas Pentax K-30 & K-50 2 07-04-2014 09:33 AM
K-500 Firmware Update mmarquardt Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 06-26-2014 08:36 PM
Firmware update problems smack1019 Pentax K-5 3 01-29-2012 04:50 PM
Firmware update problems contours Pentax Medium Format 10 07-12-2011 05:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top