Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

Firmware update problems - K-3ii

My first post here...
Just got my first 'real' camera, a Pentax K-3ii, and I love it. Now I'm having trouble updating the firmware.

I've downloaded the v1.21 firmware (I'm on 1.0), extracted the .bin file and copied it to formatted SD1. When I get to step 4 of the instructions "Turn camera On while holding the Menu button.", the camera just comes on normally rather than begin the update.

Any help??

06-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt if there is any update for the K-3II. Maybe for the K-3, but not the K-3II. I would leave it alone for now.
06-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I believe 1.21 is for the original K-3.....and the K-3II is still on ver 1.0

they are not interchangeable
06-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There is no update for the K3II.

I too have just bought one and checked the Pentax site.

06-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Just check to see if the version 1.0 is still active on your camera. If you do not know how, hold the Menu button down while you turn on your camera. If it still reads version 1.0 most likely you are alright.
06-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tobold Quote
My first post here...
Just got my first 'real' camera, a Pentax K-3ii, and I love it. Now I'm having trouble updating the firmware.

I've downloaded the v1.21 firmware (I'm on 1.0), extracted the .bin file and copied it to formatted SD1. When I get to step 4 of the instructions "Turn camera On while holding the Menu button.", the camera just comes on normally rather than begin the update.

Any help??
Thank you all for your replies - that probably explains it. I was sure I was getting K-3ii stuff - I'll go back and check the site again.
Anyhow - camera is working great on 1.0 firmware.
06-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tobold Quote
Thank you all for your replies - that probably explains it. I was sure I was getting K-3ii stuff - I'll go back and check the site again.
Anyhow - camera is working great on 1.0 firmware.
There are currently no updates for the K-3 II. However, expect one in the very near future. This update will add support for the latest KAF4 lens mount type, which uses an electromagnetic aperture actuator. This will add support for the new DA 55-300mm PLM RE lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are currently no updates for the K-3 II. However, expect one in the very near future. This update will add support for the latest KAF4 lens mount type, which uses an electromagnetic aperture actuator. This will add support for the new DA 55-300mm PLM RE lens.
And maybe fix the battery drain when the camera is off . Now always i remove it
06-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Michi Joel Quote
The problem with that is the backup battery for the clock only has a limited full discharge/recharge cycle. After that the backup battery won't hold a charge and you have to set the time and date every time you remove and install the main battery.
06-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wonder if the K-1 firmware already has this support, or whether there will be an update for that soon too?

(I also wonder if any of the lenses on the latest roadmaps will be KAF4 lenses? I suspect answers are not available at the moment!)
06-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem with that is the backup battery for the clock only has a limited full discharge/recharge cycle. After that the backup battery won't hold a charge and you have to set the time and date every time you remove and install the main battery.
Tnx so much for the answer but i don't understand it yet sorry

06-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tnx so much for the answer but i don't understand it yet sorry
Short version: continually removing the battery is going to degrade your built in battery more rapidly.

Have you tried turning off the GPS logging?
06-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I wonder if the K-1 firmware already has this support, or whether there will be an update for that soon too?

(I also wonder if any of the lenses on the latest roadmaps will be KAF4 lenses? I suspect answers are not available at the moment!)
There will be an update.

Shouldn't it only drain when the GPS track logging is enabled? If it does otherwise your camera might be affected by the service advisory that impacted the earliest production units (in this case the repair is free).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The GPS is always ON! (GPS track logging is disabled) Oh i'll go to disable the GPS immediatly and prove it.
I will write here the result

TNX guys!
06-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The GPS is always ON! (GPS track logging is disabled) Oh i'll go to disable the GPS immediatly and prove it.
I will write here the result

TNX guys!
Hmmm...just checked my K-3ii and the battery is unexpectedly depleted. Hmmm...
GPS logging is off, and serial number is out of range of the recall/service advisory.
Hmmm...could the problem be more extensive than previously thought?