Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dumb-noob questions: Kx -- live view

I've been shooting with my beloved K1000 for a little over 20 years and love it to pieces, but recently broke down and got a K-x because I'm currently not able to get film developed. So I'm just gonna put my dumb questions here.
I've started reading through a PDF manual, & a paper one is on the way. Maybe somewhere in those 324 pages are the answers, but this might be quicker...
(I've only used it a few times & still don't have all the settings 'set', I guess; it was second-hand too.)

So first of all, I noticed that the pictures I shot with the camera set to Live View were lighter than the ones I shot using the viewfinder. For instance a whole stop difference; the camera changed the ISO from 200 (viewfinder) to 400 (LV). It was either P or macro mode at the time. I read the pages on Live View but haven't seen anything that helped.
Am I missing something in the settings?

06-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The metering method is different. Just note the differences and compensate with exposure compensation. Later models are closer but some difference can still be found.
06-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, congrats on the K-x. Its a great wee camera. I had one before I got the K-5

I found mine did this when dealing with a bright sky in the background - depending on what exposure mode you are in. Its quite a common problem because really the camera is taking a guess as to what sort of exposure you want (e.g. do you want the sky exposed correctly or another part of the image).
In LV it calculates the exposure from sensor data, I believe, and it does a pretty good job of guessing the right exposure in these sorts of situations. For this situation you might be better off with exposure mode set to centre weighted or maybe spot. Otherwise as already suggested use exposure compensation.

While I loved my K-x (especially its size!), I did find that the K-5 does a better job with guessing exposure in most conditions.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 06-23-2016 at 10:54 PM.
06-24-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really?! I guess that would have to be the case since in live view the mirror is up and the TTL metering is no longer used.

06-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...there are 2 different metering systems?
If I set exposure compensation does that apply only to the live view or will it affect the viewfinder shots as well? When I got it, the little +/- thing at the bottom of the screen was set a bit below the 0 point. But it appears to show the same in either mode. So do you mean I have to change this for every shot I take with live view?
Obviously, I need to read the rest of the manual. A little short of time at the moment, so kinda winging it. Actually, the viewfinder shots seemed a bit underexposed in comparison. No blue skies, sun/shade woodland, trees, forest floor.
06-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the beauties of DSLR is seeing the image through the lens (TTL) so I never use Live View but with live view, the mirror is up and I think the metering is done by analyzing the image itself - from the sensor. When using TTL, not live view, the image is analyzed from the light going through the prism at the top.

There's 3 TTL (Through The Lens) metering settings, "spot" "centre-weighted" and multi-segment. If you use full auto or green mode, it will use the multi-segment metering. If you want more control you can use centre-weighted or spot. For example, spot will let you meter on the face of someone in your picture, wheres multi-segment will analyze the whole frame.

Because metering is so dependent on the scene, it can be wrong by quite a bit.Thats why they have the exposure compensation +/- setting. In advanced cameras, this is usually a dial that is readily available for every shot. With DSLR, you can check your shot are reshoot after compensating or if you're experienced you might know how much compensation is needed. With your K1000 film camera, you couldn't check the shot so you had to get it right - but film is quite tolerant of incorrect exposure.

You should have the +/- set to 0 initially or if you plan to take pictures in full auto (green) mode - the camera may just ignore +/- if it is in green mode.

But the main thing is that metering is so dependent on the scene that the camera makers give many ways to do the metering and non of them have the same result.