Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
By chance was the camera pointing up in the sky - with an elevation angle greater than about 45 degrees? If so, there appears to be a design problem where you are pointing high up in the sky that others have found.

The images I posted were of Deneb, and at the time it was around 40 degrees above the horizon, definitely less than 45 deg.. I did get a pretty decent 30 sec. image of Altair a few days later which was lower in the sky and also a lower declination. Unfortunately I have a limited view of the sky with trees and a hillside blocking in some directions. Next time I'll try to get some samples in different directions, altitudes, and declinations.

07-14-2016, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Thanks for the response!

I have avoided using longer lenses because I wanted to get the 28mm working first, thinking it would be the easiest. I'll give some longer lens a try too.

I was using the timer for these but I have a remote to use if I ever get the astrotracer sorted out. Looking at my sample images I don't see any signs of vibrartion problems, only poor tracking. At 28mm I don't think this is a big issue but I'll be extra careful if I'm using 200 or 300mm.

Yes the astrotracer symbol and the green GPS symbol show in the rear LCD.

@Grippy What camera are you using?
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away camping.
I'm using a K-50 with mine and have never had a problem with it, once I've done the precise calibration it performs very well, sometimes the calibration takes a while though.
07-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away camping.
I'm using a K-50 with mine and have never had a problem with it, once I've done the precise calibration it performs very well, sometimes the calibration takes a while though.
I appreciate your input. Except for the two sample pictures I posted in the OP all my testing has been with the K3 II and not the K50 + OGPS1. Looking back I seemed to get better results with the OGPS than I did with the K3 II's built in one, which is disappointing since that's the camera I would prefer using. Next chance I get I'll do more testing with the K-50 and see if I get better results.