Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I didn't want to overwhelm you with choices and technical talk.

If your camera is set to 'auto' then something very well could be wrong with the camera. It's supposed to adjust those things for you but there is an off chance that the settings on the camera are not correct.

The green writing on that knob that says 'auto' should be lined up with that white dash on the camera body.

In that image there they have their camera set to the "AV" mode.

Make sure that dial is lined up with the green 'AUTO' and try again. Something could have gotten bumped out of place.

I don't have a K30 but I think maybe you bumped it to 'scene' mode by accident.
Yes, it is definitely in auto mode. See attached photo, taken with my cell phone.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I930  Photo 
06-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From your data:

ExposureTime - 1/50 seconds
FNumber - 2.80
ExposureProgram - Creative program

Something got messed up on the settings I think.
Unless she was shooting with the lens cap on 1/5 at f2.8 is not going to produce a black image. (well maybe some times, my K50 sometimes decides to return a black image, but it is only one and not one after the other).
06-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
so what happens when you put it in P (program) mode?
06-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I would try this:

Go to the menu button on the back and go to the wrench and do a camera reset. It should be on set up menu 2.

This will reset everything in the camera back to factory settings.

Then try again.

Sure fire way to know if it's the settings or not.

06-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would try this:

Go to the menu button on the back and go to the wrench and do a camera reset. It should be on set up menu 2.

Then try again.

Don't know how this works in Ireland, but when the K30 tanked I called Pentax and customer support ran me through a whole series of things to look at. Perhaps Pentax Ireland (or whoever) will walk Irishgirl through this?
06-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Don't know how this works in Ireland, but when the K30 tanked I called Pentax and customer support ran me through a whole series of things to look at. Perhaps Pentax Ireland (or whoever) will walk Irishgirl through this?
Thanks for your suggestion but I should say that my user name IrishGirl is because I'm from Irish descent but I live in Virginia USA!

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 04:47 PM ----------

I would try this:

Then try again.

That is a great idea, I will try that! I probably won't post any more this evening though because I have to power down the laptop as a storm is approaching. Thank you!
06-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #22

when i look at you exif data it shows :
ExposureProgram - Creative program
"Problem" may come from this.
Maybe somewhere you chose effects involving contrasts or colors or light, the "creative" stuff !
go check this !

06-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IrishGirl Quote
Thanks for your suggestion but I should say that my user name IrishGirl is because I'm from Irish descent but I live in Virginia USA!

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 04:47 PM ----------

That is a great idea, I will try that! I probably won't post any more this evening though because I have to power down the laptop as a storm is approaching. Thank you!
Go to this address:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...ilable-10.html
youŽll find important info about your problem
06-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315725-dark-exposure...-me-first.html
06-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is an odd thing that can sometimes fix intermittent problems:
- backup any photos on your SD card, as it might get wiped (deleted, emptied)
- fully charge battery, leave it outside of camera for some hours after it is charged
- make sure the lens and camera mount are clean, free of grime and dust particles
- insert battery
- mount the lens fully (it has to click into place, if camera LCD says F--- then it is not mounted correctly, or it is a manual lens. There should be a number following the F )
- Go to Menu and find the Reset settings buttons. There might be two. These buttons might also reset things like date and time