Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Photos too dark

I had just starting having success with photos using my vintage (manual lenses) thanks to help from this group!

Then I took off the manual lens and put on my new 50mm lens (1:1.8 50mm). Camera is in auto mode and my photos, as I said, are too dark. Here is my EXIF info (copied it all) to see where I am going wrong; would be grateful for input!

Filename - 084.JPG
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-30
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K-30 Ver 1.00
DateTime - 2013:12:13 04:14:06
Artist -
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Copyright -
ExifOffset - 2354
ExposureTime - 1/50 seconds
FNumber - 2.80
ExposureProgram - Creative program
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0230
DateTimeOriginal - 2013:12:13 04:14:06
DateTimeDigitized - 2013:12:13 04:14:06
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 50.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4928
ExifImageHeight - 3264
InteroperabilityOffset - 58124
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 75 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Macro

GPS information: -
GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 58610
JpegIFByteCount - 1315

06-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you also upload the photo itself? If you attach it straight out of camera our system will automatically scale it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IrishGirl Quote
I had just starting having success with photos using my vintage (manual lenses) thanks to help from this group!

Then I took off the manual lens and put on my new 50mm lens (1:1.8 50mm). Camera is in auto mode and my photos, as I said, are too dark. Here is my EXIF info (copied it all) to see where I am going wrong; would be grateful for input!

Filename - 084.JPG
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-30
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K-30 Ver 1.00
Artist -
Copyright -
ExifOffset - 2354
FNumber - 2.80
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0230
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
FocalLength - 50.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4928
ExifImageHeight - 3264
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0

Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 58610
JpegIFByteCount - 1315
maybe at 04:14:06 the 2013:12:13 the sky was too cloudy !

change the date in camera, they will get brighter in summer 2016
06-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Original Poster

Filename - 084.JPG
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-30
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K-30 Ver 1.00
Artist -
Copyright -
ExifOffset - 2354
FNumber - 2.80
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0230
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
FocalLength - 50.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4928
ExifImageHeight - 3264
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0

Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 58610
JpegIFByteCount - 1315
Here is the photo, if it worked (should be attached).

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 03:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
maybe at 04:14:06 the 2013:12:13 the sky was too cloudy !

change the date in camera, they will get brighter in summer 2016
Yeah one day I will change it. Still learning this thing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Camera is in auto mode and my photos, as I said, are too dark.
Are you sure it is set on the green Auto mode? If you press Info, do you have any other Scene options enabled?
Anyway, the problem in that photo is that the sensitivity is too low - only ISO 100. In Auto, the camera should automatically select a higher ISO value in such dark places. The other settings, 1/50 shutter and f2.8 aperture, are fine for dark places.
So on your camera LCD, look at the ISO panel. Is there a single number, or a range or some text? (like, 100 or 100-3200, or something else entirely)
06-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a basic primer by MOI, aka, your's truly.

You have three main things to worry about.

ISO which is the sensitivity that the sensor has to light. It might not be exactly true but think of it terms like this. ISO 100 can absorb X amount of light. ISO 200 can do twice as much as 100. ISO 400 can do twice as much as 200 and so on and so forth.

ISO basically makes your camera MORE or LESS sensitive to light.

Shutter speed.... if your shutter speed is 1/2000 of a second that is a very quick 'click' and it doesn't let much light in. Were as if you have 1/40 of a second it is substantially a lot longer of a time that the shutter is actually open. The faster the click the less motion blur you get. So if you are hand holding shots and you set your shutter to be open for 10 ful seconds odds are everything will be blurry.

Last thing is aperture. That is how big the hole in the lens is that lets in light.

Those three things have to be balanced out.

You basically shot your picture at 1/50 of one second at an aperture of f2.8 and your ISO was 100.

Are you following all that so far?
06-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When shooting manual lenses I usually correct exposure +0.7 to + 1 stop. Especially when shooting wide open
06-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you sure it is set on the green Auto mode? If you press Info, do you have any other Scene options enabled?
Anyway, the problem in that photo is that the sensitivity is too low - only ISO 100. In Auto, the camera should automatically select a higher ISO value in such dark places. The other settings, 1/50 shutter and f2.8 aperture, are fine for dark places.
So on your camera LCD, look at the ISO panel. Is there a single number, or a range or some text? (like, 100 or 100-3200, or something else entirely)
Yes, it is in green auto mode and when I pressed info, it appears that only auto and auto shake are enabled.

I put the ISO at 800 and still a dark photo--I took them outside on my front porch where it is overcast but not really that dark.

06-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is another possibility. This is a K30 and there is a common enough problem with aperture control block failure. You will get the black screen of death when you use auto aperture lenses. If you can still use the manual aperture lenses and it's not a case of leaving the lens cap on (just a joke, don't take offense) then it is likely that issue. The K30's and K50's all had this as an issue. (and everyone is bored of me saying) I had two failures on a K30 and a K50 only one of which was fixed under warranty. On the bright side I've collected a whole flotilla of m42 lenses (using the kipon pin pushing adapter) and am having an amusing time with my lamed K30. Frankly, the 50mm f1.8 was always the least favorite of my lenses. Suggest if you are not under warranty to upgrade and keep the K30 as a manual spare (assuming my hunch is right).
06-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Here is a basic primer by MOI, aka, your's truly.

You have three main things to worry about.

ISO which is the sensitivity that the sensor has to light. It might not be exactly true but think of it terms like this. ISO 100 can absorb X amount of light. ISO 200 can do twice as much as 100. ISO 400 can do twice as much as 200 and so on and so forth.

ISO basically makes your camera MORE or LESS sensitive to light.

Shutter speed.... if your shutter speed is 1/2000 of a second that is a very quick 'click' and it doesn't let much light in. Were as if you have 1/40 of a second it is substantially a lot longer of a time that the shutter is actually open. The faster the click the less motion blur you get. So if you are hand holding shots and you set your shutter to be open for 10 ful seconds odds are everything will be blurry.

Last thing is aperture. That is how big the hole in the lens is that lets in light.

Those three things have to be balanced out.

You basically shot your picture at 1/50 of one second at an aperture of f2.8 and your ISO was 100.

Are you following all that so far?

I follow it pretty much.

I don't know how to change the shutter speed tho...any ideas how to do that on the K 30? Thanks for your advice!
06-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Can you switch to M mode and take a photo with the following settings (or some similar numbers):
ISO 1600
shutter 1/125
f5.6
Is it still super dark?
To select these you use the e-dials on your camera and possibly the +/- button to toggle between the sections (I don't have a K-30, I have some earlier model, but its probably similar)

You might want to check the threads on this forum about the aperture failure that was a problem with some K-30 cameras. If the symptoms on yours are similar, then you might know what the problem is.
06-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
There is another possibility. This is a K30 and there is a common enough problem with aperture control block failure. You will get the black screen of death when you use auto aperture lenses. If you can still use the manual aperture lenses and it's not a case of leaving the lens cap on (just a joke, don't take offense) then it is likely that issue. The K30's and K50's all had this as an issue. (and everyone is bored of me saying) I had two failures on a K30 and a K50 only one of which was fixed under warranty. On the bright side I've collected a whole flotilla of m42 lenses (using the kipon pin pushing adapter) and am having an amusing time with my lamed K30. Frankly, the 50mm f1.8 was always the least favorite of my lenses. Suggest if you are not under warranty to upgrade and keep the K30 as a manual spare (assuming my hunch is right).
Ugh, I hope it is not a K30 problem--I am still so new at figuring this thing out and how it works that I wouldn't know if it was a camera problem or not.

I can't afford another camera (husband had cancer twice), I was fortunate to get this one and a few lenses. I have to make this one work! Or it is back to point and shoots for me...

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Can you switch to M mode and take a photo with the following settings (or some similar numbers):
ISO 1600
shutter 1/125
f5.6
Is it still super dark?
To select these you use the e-dials on your camera and possibly the +/- button to toggle between the sections (I don't have a K-30, I have some earlier model, but its probably similar)

You might want to check the threads on this forum about the aperture failure that was a problem with some K-30 cameras. If the symptoms on yours are similar, then you might know what the problem is.
I changed the ISO TO 1600 on M but don't know how to set the shutter speed--how do I do that on the K30?

The resulting photos, without setting the shutter speed, were not dark but very blurry...
06-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In afternoon shade the settings should give proper exposure at iso 100. Given manual lens work it sounds like aperture block failure. Time to check out that dreaded trouble. Some one will probably link it but it's probably under k30/50 sub forum.
06-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I follow it pretty much.

I don't know how to change the shutter speed tho...any ideas how to do that on the K 30? Thanks for your advice!
I didn't want to overwhelm you with choices and technical talk.

If your camera is set to 'auto' then something very well could be wrong with the camera. It's supposed to adjust those things for you but there is an off chance that the settings on the camera are not correct.

The green writing on that knob that says 'auto' should be lined up with that white dash on the camera body.

In that image there they have their camera set to the "AV" mode.

Make sure that dial is lined up with the green 'AUTO' and try again. Something could have gotten bumped out of place.

I don't have a K30 but I think maybe you bumped it to 'scene' mode by accident.
06-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From your data:

FNumber - 2.80

Something got messed up on the settings I think.