Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green button on K-1 and K-3ii with M lenses

Help! I've been using M lenses on my K-30 camera with no problems. But I'm having a problem with the green button on my K-3ii and K-1. Basically, cameras are set on M mode but nothing happens when I push the green button for stop down metering....the viewfinder gets slightly dark but there's no reassuring "click" as with the K-30 and resulting photos are overexposed. I've set the "allow" setting in the menus. I've tried it with several M and K lenses on both the K-1 and K-3 ii with same results. Suggestions? What am I doing wrong?!

06-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check your e-dial settings (tab 5 of the shooting settings) and go to M-mode on the second tab. The setting for the green button should be TV-shift (although P-line also works for me).
06-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks...I tried with both TV-shift and also with setting as P-line....still not working!
06-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Thanks...I tried with both TV-shift and also with setting as P-line....still not working!
In manual mode, there is no green button. In P mode there is. Av, Tv and Sv , no need to press the green button, the camera adjusts shutter speed or iso automatically. Before, with manual lenses, you needed to press the green button to adjust exposure, now it's automatic.

06-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

and you double checked you have the use of aperture ring enabled? C4 27. Do you get a prompt to set focal length when turning on the camera? Which lens are you trying?

---------- Post added 26-06-16 at 16:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In manual mode, there is no green button. In P mode there is. Av, Tv and Sv , no need to press the green button, the camera adjusts shutter speed or iso automatically. Before, with manual lenses, you needed to press the green button to adjust exposure, now it's automatic.
what do you mean? as far as I know this is still necessary for K and M lenses, also on the K-3 II and K-1
06-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
what do you mean? as far as I know this is still necessary for K and M lenses, also on the K-3 II and K-1
...hum... what I wrote is wrong.
06-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
and you double checked you have the use of aperture ring enabled? C4 27. Do you get a prompt to set focal length when turning on the camera? Which lens are you trying?

---------- Post added 26-06-16 at 16:51 ----------

Thanks for your help.....I'm trying the M85/2 and M20/4. Both work on my K-30. Yep..get a prompt to enter focal length. Yep just checked again...enable is set....I just don't know what is different between the settings on K-30 and the K-3ii and K-1!!

06-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Is preview mode set to optical? I believe it should be set so in order to enable stop-down metering. Also on the flagships with MF lenses in manual mode you can turn on the EV bar meter by activating the DOF preview. You cannot do this on the K-30/50.
06-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It shouldn't be anything different although I do believe it doesn't work on the K-30 when auto iso is set. Do the exposure values change when you press the green button in live view? or do they stay the same?
06-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks...the ISO is not on auto....how can I tell if optical preview is on? Looks like all that happens when I hit the green button is the EV bar becomes active...exposure is fine when lens is wide open but once I set lens aperture down a bit the photos are overexposed. I'm so frustrated!

Oh and shutter speed does seem to change..tho intermittent...when green button is pressed. Same results when I push the on/off switch all the way to the preview position.

Last edited by pbancr; 06-26-2016 at 10:22 AM.
06-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

hmmm that should happen when you push dof preview lever. Not the green button. When digital preview is on it will make a picture and show it on the back lcd when you push the dof lever. I would try resetting the camera settings and start over.

Last edited by D1N0; 06-26-2016 at 10:56 AM.
06-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #12

From the K-1 manual (English Page 55)
Setting the Preview Method
1. Select [Button Customization] in Camera 5 menu and press >
The [Button Customization] screen appears.
2. Select [Preview Dial] and press >
the [Preview Dial] screen appears.
3. Select [Optical Preview] or [Digital Preview] and press OK
For Digital Preview, the operations and information displayed during preview can be set.
4. Press MENU three times.
The camera returns to standby mode.

When in Optical Preview mode pushing the power preview lever to preview will actuate the aperture stop-down lever. In Digital Preview mode it will take an exposure and display it on the rear LCD. Image is not saved to the card. Non-A lenses will only stop-down in this manner in M mode.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.
06-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When a lens lacking "A" contacts is mounted, M mode green button defaults to Tv-shift regardless of the button assignment.

It shouldn't be anything different although I do believe it doesn't work on the K-30 when auto iso is set. Do the exposure values change when you press the green button in live view? or do they stay the same?
Auto-ISO is not possible in M mode on either the K-3/K-3II or K-1. Your question regarding shutter speed change is spot on though.

Thanks...the ISO is not on auto....how can I tell if optical preview is on? Looks like all that happens when I hit the green button is the EV bar becomes active...exposure is fine when lens is wide open but once I set lens aperture down a bit the photos are overexposed. I'm so frustrated!

Oh and shutter speed does seem to change..tho intermittent...when green button is pressed. Same results when I push the on/off switch all the way to the preview position.
First question before I type anything else...is exposure compensation set to "0"?

Moving forward, functionality is very similar to your K-30, but with a few helpful differences. Here is what you should expect for K and M series lenses on your K-3II and K-1:
  • As with your K-30, the aperture ring must be enabled
  • Aperture will not stop down for exposure for all modes except M, X, and B. The camera will meter with shutter speed being automatically assigned as in Av mode.
  • In M mode:
    • Green button functionality will be Tv shift by default regardless of the button assignment
    • As with your K-30, when the green button is pressed the lens will stop down momentarily, the camera will meter, and a shutter speed will be set to match the meter reading
    • Using the DOF preview results in the lens being stopped down with the meter active until the lever is released. While DOF preview is active, the EV scale is visible in both the viewfinder and rear LCD allowing you to set the shutter speed to the meter reading.
  • Exposure compensation may be a source of confusion:
    • Still applies for all modes
    • When set to other than "0" the EV scale is visible in the viewfinder
    • In M mode with green button, compensation is applied to the metered result immediately such that the set shutter speed reflects the meter reading + EC
    • In M mode with DOF preview, compensation is applied in addition to whatever bias you might dial in using the EV scale. This is a little counter-intuitive in that centering the indicator results in a compensated exposure.
  • When using stop-down metering, care should be taken to either keep one's eye to the viewfinder or use some sort of shade or blind to prevent light from entering through the eyepiece. Stop-down metering may be very sensitive to stray light from that source, resulting in severe underexposure.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.
06-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like it's working as intended, then. The aperture actuator on the K-3 and K-1 is a little bit quieter, so perhaps that's throwing you off.

Definitely do check the exposure compensation setting and metering mode. If you've selected spot instead of center-weighted, that might be the issue.

An easy way to check if stop-down metering is working is to put the camera in live view. If you select a narrow aperture and the DoF increases when you press the green button, then you know everything is ok.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. Exposure comp is at 0. I think I'm all set now. Members of PF are awesome!