Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

PENTAX ME super viewfinder

Hi All

I just purchased my first SLR from a Barnardo's in Glasgow. It came with the manual and I have been playing with it this afternoon. I put new batteries in it but the Viewfinder isn't working. Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

06-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By not working, are you saying it is dark and that you can't see to focus? Or are you saying that the LED display is not working. If the former, it may be that the mirror bumper foam has become sticky with age and the mirror is stuck to it in the up position. If the display is not working, you may have put the batteries in upside-down. The "+" faces inward for both cells.

Steve
06-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stuck mirrors (if this is what your problem is) seem to be a common form of failure for the ME series.

There are a number of causes which you can research from a bit of googling (and can be more complex than rotten foam). My son bought two non functioning ME Supers while we were on a recent holiday in Japan for a few bucks each. Both I think had stuck mirrors. When his studies slow a bit (currently in his last year of high school), the plan is to tear them down and see what we can fix (more or less as a learning exercise).

If it is the exposure indicators not functioning, check battery polarity and also whether the battery contacts are clean and free of oxidization. The camera should work on the 100x setting even without batteries as this is a mechanical rather than electronically controlled shutter actuation.
06-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You'll need to give us a bit more info on what "not working" means. Make sure you put the batteries in the right way around or the light meter won't work.

Merchant City cameras might be able to have a look at it for you (see the link below). I don't know if they do repairs but they have knowledgeable people. There may be a better alternative for advise or repairs in Glasgow, but Merchant City are the only people I know of in that part of the world.

Merchant City Cameras

06-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Apologies for being so vague. It is the lightmeter that isn't working. I've replaced the batteries both plus symbols pointing into the camera and the contacts look clean and free of oxidization.
Are there any other troubleshooting things I can try without taking it apartor if I do have to take it apart that aren't too difficult?

Thanks