Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DNG and LR CC

Just updated to LR CC. In LR5, I had no issues with DNG files. First go of importing some test shots in CC (DNG format), and a few of the thumbnails were corrupted looking. I was able to edit them and export, but just thumbnail was messed up. I switched the K-1 to PEF, and shot off a bunch of images, and they all seemed OK. Anyone else experience this? I should note, the card I used was a brand new Lexar Pro II card. It's possible the card is bad, but I would think if the file was actually corrupted, then I wouldn't have been able to even edit the photo.

06-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Forum Member

I use Lightroom CC with DNG files from my K-1 without issue. Sounds like something weird happened when building the previews. I don't know if there's a direct way to force LR to rebuild the previews but you could generate the 1:1 versions and then delete them, that would probably force it to redo the regular previews.
06-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Library>Previews>build standard previews (or 1:1)

I would try rebuilding the previews first, and I would format that card in camera at first opportunity.

I have had no issues with DNG on LR CC, through several versions and on K-5IIs, K-3, K-3II and K-1.
06-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do you have the most recent lr update from Adobe creative cloud?

06-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No issues with DNG in LR CC here, either.
06-28-2016, 03:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. It should be the latest version of CC,as it's a fresh install. I always format the cards before using in camera. It's a new computer, so I guess potentially it could also be an issue with the card reader. Hopefully I'll get it figured out.
07-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I ran across a different issue with Lightroom. I have the CC version and I keep it updated regularly. This morning I took a few shots with my K-1 in the front yard and switched lenses a couple times. One time I managed to move the mode dial to U5 (I have no idea how, but it's locked now.) Subsequent images were recorded in PEF Format. When I imported, Lightroom would read and import the DNG files with no problem but it refused to import the PEF files. I used the DCU software to convert the images to DNG and they came in fine. I thought that Lightroom supported PEF files but it sure choked on these. Is there something I'm missing?

07-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I ran across a different issue with Lightroom. I have the CC version and I keep it updated regularly. This morning I took a few shots with my K-1 in the front yard and switched lenses a couple times. One time I managed to move the mode dial to U5 (I have no idea how, but it's locked now.) Subsequent images were recorded in PEF Format. When I imported, Lightroom would read and import the DNG files with no problem but it refused to import the PEF files. I used the DCU software to convert the images to DNG and they came in fine. I thought that Lightroom supported PEF files but it sure choked on these. Is there something I'm missing?
I'm one version behind on LR CC and have no issues with importing PEF files. Not sure what would have happened in your case.
07-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
All good here, no issues at all.
07-31-2016, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess I will have to experiment to get to the bottom of it.

I suppose it could have something to do with my work flow. I don't often use the import dialog. Instead, I copy the files into the desired location on the disk then I synchronize the folder in Lightroom to import any new folders and files. I have been using this method for about a year and it has worked without a hitch until now.

I read somewhere that PEF files have an auxiliary file to hold the EXIF data. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. If those are hidden files they might not be copied with the main ones. I really have no idea and it's more of a theoretical question since I don't ordinarily use PEF format.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 08:02 AM ----------

Well. I just went back read the entire thread and now I know that auxiliary files or lack of, is not the problem. They are only used in certain specific cases and they are not created by the camera so that cannot be the cause of my problem. It will probably remain a mystery.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 08:28 AM ----------

And finally, I just went back, after updating Lightroom I synchronized the folder and the 5 PEF files that refused to import yesterday came right in this morning. I give up; I'll probably never know why and it will probably never happen again.