Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Black Border on shot taken with K3ii

I have a new to me K3Ii
Took some quick shots with it this evening and noticed there is a black vertical stripe down the right side of each of my shots.
I have never encountered this before and was hoping for some troubleshooting advice on what I have done wrong.
Here are a few examples:

Thanks.

06-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very strange! The first thing to check would be to see if you see the black bar in the camera's playback mode/live view. If not, then there's nothing wrong with the camera and the investigation can be shifted to PP software

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Very strange! The first thing to check would be to see if you see the black bar in the camera's playback mode/live view. If not, then there's nothing wrong with the camera and the investigation can be shifted to PP software

Thanks Adam,
Checke & Relief that it doesn't appear in playback mode/live mode. Will have to see what's going on with pp software.
06-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
Thanks Adam,
Checke & Relief that it doesn't appear in playback mode/live mode. Will have to see what's going on with pp software.
What is the software, and what did you do?

06-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

I get a purple band along a short end when I shoot in DNG and use Capture One Pro since it isn't supported. Switching to PEF which was supported fixed the issue. Perhaps your RAW format accidentally changed and isn't supported. It may be worth a check.
06-30-2016, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
What is the software, and what did you do?
I use Fast Stone to upload my pictures and take a quick view of what I want to process. For these pictures I used Paint Shop Pro X7 for processing. I created a duplicate background and added either added light fill or brightened it. I resized in Fast Stone.
I looked and all the shots have this vertical stripe on the right in raw - no processing done at all.

---------- Post added 06-30-16 at 02:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jhow Quote
I get a purple band along a short end when I shoot in DNG and use Capture One Pro since it isn't supported. Switching to PEF which was supported fixed the issue. Perhaps your RAW format accidentally changed and isn't supported. It may be worth a check.
Thanks. I will need to check that. This camera came yesterday I didn't check that. I will today and report back with findings. -- a quick check on the raw files show .PEF but I will double check everything on the camera settings.

Last edited by cg57; 06-30-2016 at 03:05 AM.