Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #1

PEF files

Bonjour,

Je suis un nouvel utilisateur d'un Pentax K3 et je n'arrive pas a ouvrir mes fichiers en PEF , avant j' utiliser un Pentax K200D et mes fichiers RAW passaient très bien .
Que dois je faire pour les ouvrir?
Merci a vous.

Translation:

Hello,

I am a new user of a Pentax K3 and I can not open my files in a PEF before I use a Pentax K200D and my RAW files going too well .
What should I do to open them?
Thank you.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-03-2016 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Translated to English
07-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The software you are using appears to be incompatible and or needs to be upgraded. The software that came with your K3 will work. Another alternative is to shoot DNG rather than pef in the future.
07-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour! What software are you using?
Update the software.

Silkypix from K200D is not the same as Silkypix from K-3. Use new software.

Also, in Menu you can switch between PEF and DNG. DNG often has more compatibility in third-party software.
07-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess your problem is that you bought the K-3 secondhand and the seller did not send the disc. Can you contact the seller and ask if they can send it for you. Alternatively, can you find someone with a copy. Failing that, it to find 3rd party s/w that can read the K-3 files.

07-04-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

What software are you using to process your PEF files? You probably need to update you software to a version that can process the RAW files from the K-3.

If you are using the Pentax Photo Browser/Laboratory and have the CD update it first to Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) v4.4.0 and then to Digital Camera Utility (DCU) 5.3.1

You can download these from the Ricoh France website:
Téléchargements - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

You can download DCU 5.5.1 from Ricoh Japan
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

If you do not have the Install CD then follow the instructions in this thread on how to install the update versions without the CD
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/55-photography-articles/36984-how-install...ml#post3416819

If you need help with translation I'm sure one of the other French or Canadian forum members can help you.
07-04-2016, 02:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

On PentaxForums, French is not the official language so you should write in English, i will answer in both languages.
Many softwares do not open PEF files while they open DNG ones, so as both PEF and DNG are RAW formats my advice is to use the latter.
If you dislike DNG and want to keep using PEF, you can use Pentax Digital Camera Utility provided with the K-3, if you don't have the CDROM i can send you a copy as i am a K-3 owner.
By the way, a software update of your image editing app may solve the problem...

Bonjour, tu es sur un forum anglophone, ici on parle Anglais, je te répondrai donc dans les deux langues.
Les fichiers PEF ne sont pas reconnus par tous les logiciels de traitement photo, je te conseille d'utiliser le format DNG plutôt que le PEF, c'est du RAW également.
Si tu tiens vraiment à rester en PEF tu peux utiliser le logiciel Pentax Digital Camera Utility fourni avec le K-3, si tu n'as pas le CD je peux éventuellement t'envoyer une copie puisque j'ai un K-3. Sinon une mise à jour du logiciel que tu utilises habituellement te permettra peut-être de résoudre le problème.
07-08-2016, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Bonsoir, Good evening, Thank you all of your advice, I opened my files by putting them on Lightroom 5.4 that work, please.