Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great feedback! I should have posted the pre-photo gallery original, but it had the pattern before that. I don't have the battery grip, but I will try with SR off (good idea), and mess with the ISO and see if that helps, too. I hope I can hold on to this for a bit longer -- I was hoping to stick it out for another ten years until I can get a full frame K-1 for $150 or so. Seems a little crazy I know, but my last decent camera before this was a Spotmatic II! If I can't solve this, I'll buckle down and get a good secondhand K5ii or similar.

07-04-2016, 04:12 AM   #17

Original Poster
Update: Shake reduction is not the culprit. I'm going to reset all the custom settings and see if that makes any difference, but I'm starting to think I have a bad CCD. Unless I can figure out a fix, I'm going to live with it until I find a good deal on a K-5.
07-04-2016, 04:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Mike Quote
Update: Shake reduction is not the culprit. I'm going to reset all the custom settings and see if that makes any difference, but I'm starting to think I have a bad CCD. Unless I can figure out a fix, I'm going to live with it until I find a good deal on a K-5.
try cleaning you sensor, but to be honest with you you really have to squint hard to see any thing. M y advice is you probable can live with it until you can afford the k3 or the k1
07-04-2016, 04:51 AM   #19

Original Poster
Overall it seems to be a constant "grain" that is easier to see in darker areas. I wouldn't mind it if it weren't a visible crosshatch pattern, but now it's driving me nuts. I'm guessing my CCD is to blame, but I probably didn't notice it a few years ago with a lower resolution monitor and phone. With a modern computer monitor and an iPhone 6, everything is more visible than it was a few years back on a 4x3 monitor. I'll deal for the time being while I keep an eye out for a replacement.

07-04-2016, 05:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Overall it seems to be a constant "grain" that is easier to see in darker areas. I wouldn't mind it if it weren't a visible crosshatch pattern, but now it's driving me nuts. I'm guessing my CCD is to blame, but I probably didn't notice it a few years ago with a lower resolution monitor and phone. With a modern computer monitor and an iPhone 6, everything is more visible than it was a few years back on a 4x3 monitor. I'll deal for the time being while I keep an eye out for a replacement.
ill be honest with you I almost cant see it, but if it is driving you nuts that is a very good excuse to get a new camera.So go ahead and get one
07-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
ill be honest with you I almost cant see it, but if it is driving you nuts that is a very good excuse to get a new camera.So go ahead and get one
The pattern of the noise varies with the ISO, so I think I can treat it as an anomaly to be controlled and worked around until I can score a more modern weather resistant body (I'm hooked on the "feel" and density of the build quality of my K10d (even though I don't really need weather sealing), not to mention all the on-body controls, so I'll probably keep an eye out for a deal on a K30/50, K5, etc., but won't be in any rush).
07-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
I'm gonna agree with that.....I can barely see any problem, even viewed large. I can get bad results from my new K1 at times.....for so many reasons it would be hard to list them all.
Not being a Pro, or a pixel peeper, or even very particular, I depend on the "Old Granny Test" to determine the worth of a shot. If you showed "Old Granny" your shot, would she like it...or would she note the defects you are noting? My bet is she would like your shot and never notice any defects whatsoever, if there were any.
Shooting for perfection is tedious hard work......shooting for "Old Granny" is easy and fun! I like to have fun!

Regards!
07-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm gonna agree with that.....I can barely see any problem, even viewed large. I can get bad results from my new K1 at times.....for so many reasons it would be hard to list them all.
Not being a Pro, or a pixel peeper, or even very particular, I depend on the "Old Granny Test" to determine the worth of a shot. If you showed "Old Granny" your shot, would she like it...or would she note the defects you are noting? My bet is she would like your shot and never notice any defects whatsoever, if there were any.
Shooting for perfection is tedious hard work......shooting for "Old Granny" is easy and fun! I like to have fun!

Regards!
Thanks Rupert, that certainly puts things in perspective!

07-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Rupert, that certainly puts things in perspective!
Mister Mike.....There are all kinds of shooters here, some are perfectionists and dote over technicalities and gear.....precision and absolutes....they are very serious minded people.
I have no problem with that, they are driven by their desires and it can benefit all of us with what they learn and can teach us.

Others are less serious about perfection and shoot mostly for self-satisfaction, memories, and fun. We can learn from the more serious, yet still keep our same goals. I hate to see anyone get so involved in perfection that they lose sight of the end result, which should always be to produce something with value beyond just technical excellence. Old Granny does help bring us back to earth and the "real world".

An example of my kind of fun.....I just shot this of a Jay complaining that fireworks kept him up all night...and he looks it!

It is not near perfect, has lots of faults, yet Old Granny would most likely approve of it.....excepting that she doesn't care much for noisy Jays!

"I'd like to get hold of the idiots that sold fireworks to those damn squirrels!"

Have fun! ...but learn along the way. When it stops being fun, you have lost what keeps many of us going.

Best Regards!
Rupert
07-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #25
Site Supporter

I couldn't see it in Edge, but changed to Firefox as advised and can just see it. I think you need to take a number of test pictures to see if it's random or reproducible.
07-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #26

Original Poster
Here's a better example. The pattern can be seen across the entire dark background.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Looks like something is going wrong demosaicing the bayer array.
07-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Is there any way you could upload a RAW file to Google Drive or One Drive or similar file sharing service so other people can see if they get the same artifacts?
07-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is there any way you could upload a RAW file to Google Drive or One Drive or similar file sharing service so other people can see if they get the same artifacts?
Yes...that would rule out the sensor and image processor.

FWIW, I shot with a K10D for seven years and never experienced this sort of artifact.

Steve
07-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #30

Original Poster
Here's a link to a RAW (DNG) file which shows the same digital noise pattern.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzGLtqym33wFemxJa2pFaGFMUUk/view?usp=sharing