Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Mike Quote
Looking back at some old photos, it was always there. Apparently I wasn't sensitive to it back then -- just chalked it up to a digital camera's response to poor lighting and my own lack of skill when my standards were lower and I was less confident in my ability to use a DSLR. I didn't really get sensitive to it until I got a fast 35mm manual prime, which magnified the issue. When I zoomed in on a new image to see how sharp I was able to get the shot, I noticed the digital noise. I think I bought the K10D a bit too quickly out the gate and got a bad example, but it took me a decade to realize it. Too bad it didn't come with a 10-year warranty!
yeah same problem here. Lot's of missed shots due to back focus. Didn't visit photographic forums until I once got a m42 adapter stuck and found out about it. That lead to a massive LBA binge .

07-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
We may as well ask why you are obsessed with DIY fixing your K-50. Send it out for repair, buy another one or K-S2 or K-70. End of Story
there is a difference , between me and you I CAN FIX MINE and you cannot.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 02:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
We may as well ask why you are obsessed with DIY fixing your K-50. Send it out for repair, buy another one or K-S2 or K-70. End of Story
wow who was talking to you? Oh and by the way I can fix mine.. And I would never send it to Precision never ever.
07-08-2016, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter

Hi Mike,
IMGP7916.DNG looked to me something like aliasing due to sampling,

So I ran an FFT transform on it.

The following might be gobbleygook to anyone not familiar with Fourier Transforms !

There is a strong abnormal artifact at a lower frequency than a sampling alias should be.
It is clearly visible in this jpg of the amplitude of IMGP7916
https://app.box.com/s/4987qgoquew00x3hkbmnhrswb1wijqjx

Note the 2 strong lines equally above and below the X axis.
These lines are down in amongst the image data itself ( the splatter around the origin),
hence the coarse offensive pattern we can see in the DNG.

I do FFT like this when I sharpen film scans.

I have not seen lines like this on either film scans or dslr raw images including my old 6MP ist ds.
It is interesting that the lines are only in the vertical domain.

Sorry I don't know what caused it. The next thing I would do is find out how many pixels the K10 has,
then try to find the relative frequency of those lines.
I wonder if the microlens is the problem.
07-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #49

Original Poster
So I finally buckled down and bought a used K-30. I'll list the K10D when it arrives. In the meantime, I rediscovered my old film bodies! In the 90s I had an old Spotmatic II. The shot counter jammed, and I got a brand new PZ-70 for my 18th birthday. I didn't want it to get messed up at school, and by the time I got back digital was taking off and I never picked up the PZ again, so it hardly got any use. With the help of the Internet, I've repaired the Spotmatic (an insanely easy fix) and got new batteries and new rolls of film for both bodies, so now I have some toys to play with while I wait for the K-30!

07-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Mike Quote
So I finally buckled down and bought a used K-30. I'll list the K10D when it arrives. In the meantime, I rediscovered my old film bodies! In the 90s I had an old Spotmatic II. The shot counter jammed, and I got a brand new PZ-70 for my 18th birthday. I didn't want it to get messed up at school, and by the time I got back digital was taking off and I never picked up the PZ again, so it hardly got any use. With the help of the Internet, I've repaired the Spotmatic (an insanely easy fix) and got new batteries and new rolls of film for both bodies, so now I have some toys to play with while I wait for the K-30!
nice enjoy it, post some pics from it
07-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Hi Mike,
I hope you like your new camera and the old film slrs too.

I had a session with the dng from your troubled K10.
I boosted the frequencies causing the distortion and attenuated the main image, to try to see what the K10D sensor problem is.
But I am no wiser.
https://app.box.com/s/nfg9cft0vs9wfn3966ho62xxbz2iof0c

Are you sure Van Gogh didn't get in there and paint your sensor?
07-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Mike,
I hope you like your new camera and the old film slrs too.

I had a session with the dng from your troubled K10.
I boosted the frequencies causing the distortion and attenuated the main image, to try to see what the K10D sensor problem is.
But I am no wiser.
https://app.box.com/s/nfg9cft0vs9wfn3966ho62xxbz2iof0c

Are you sure Van Gogh didn't get in there and paint your sensor?
Thanks for taking a look! I'll have to note the "sensor by Van Gogh" as a special feature in the listing. Maybe I'll make some money on that K10D after all!
07-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I hope you like your K-30. I had a K10d in the past. I don't think I had that problem, but I didn't give it 10 years. I got a K5. However, I still think in terms of body size, functions, handling, it was the best camera I had. The K5 was just a tad small (but function-wise similar except the sensor and better ISO performance). I tried out a K-30 (or K-50 maybe... they were similar), and it was too small for my hands.

If the problem is with the Bayer processing, I wonder if using a software like Rawtherapee might give options that could help. It has all sorts of ways of processing the sensor data.

When I had the K10d, I had messed with a lot of that. I unfortunately had the vertical banding problem that others have referred to. I just never shot over ISO 400 in dark situations. I did get tired of shooting at ISO 400 or lower, so that's when I buckled for a K-5. It was hard to pass up the possibilities. It does sound like you are destined for a K-1, even if it is sometime in the future.