Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Pentax K-X video lighting

Hi everyone,

I am a total beginner when it comes to making videos. I mainly record music but started wanting some videos on my youtube channel. My problem is that my room forces me to film directly towards my windows, where I record music. Overtime I move slightly so that more light meets my lens the camera automatically makes everything darker. Is there a way for me to disable that and just have my video at a set lighting? I read an article that said I could turn it off in the options, but the picture shown does not look like the menu I have on my camera.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

07-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use manual mode.
07-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Use manual mode.
That.

Also, you could light yourself with some basic lighting, and shade the windows to even things out.
07-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-x doesn't have a manual mode. OP, you'll have to lock the exposure (I assume your camera supports that). Press the AE-L/AF-L button when you have the correct exposure and then start recording.

07-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-x gives you limited video exposure control, but you can lock the exposue as Giklab recommended.

The first Pentax to offer manual video control was the K-30, and all future models since then have it, so perhaps you should consider upgrading to one of those (like the K-50, which is nice and affordable).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-04-2016, 05:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the responses. I know it must seem like a dumb question, but I am really not good with that kind of stuff.Thanks a bunch!
07-04-2016, 06:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
So I tried to press the button once I had good lighting, but it does not seem to do anything. I also don't have an option in my video menu to lock the lighting. Is it because of the Software?
07-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Also, you could light yourself with some basic lighting, and shade the windows to even things out.
+1 this. Some good lighting will go a long way towards improving your video.

07-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
What would be the budget I would need to do that? I could invest some more haha
07-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boio Quote
So I tried to press the button once I had good lighting, but it does not seem to do anything. I also don't have an option in my video menu to lock the lighting. Is it because of the Software?
When the exposure is locked, an asterisk will appear at the bottom-left of the display, and the camera will not change any settings. Check if the button is actually set to AE lock in the menu (page 108 here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf)

Regarding the lighting itself - you can get a plain old desk lamp with a daylight-color bulb, or a reflector to bounce the light coming through the window back at you. Both are cheap options (reflectors come in sets for like 10$).

Last edited by Giklab; 07-05-2016 at 06:03 AM.
07-05-2016, 05:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks again. Will look for that option and also buy some equipment for lighting!
07-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It sounds like you'd be better to look at taking control over the lighting rather than rely on any camera controls for exposure. If the dynamic range is large (like bright windows and dark interior) then whatever exposure level you choose is going to involve a compromise somewhere. Even if you get the inside of the room bright, then the windows are going to be a glaring washed out whiteness that will distract.