Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Pentax k5 iis memory card fail

Hi,

I ordered a Toshiba Exceria 64GB MicroSDXC Card Class 10, but find out that it doesn't work on my k5 iis. I tried the card on my laptop and it couldn't write. However it works perfect on another laptop and on a fuji point-and-shoot. I tried formatting the card from exFAT to FAT32 but it still can't be formatted on my k5 iis (it says memory card error). Very odd. Can anyone help or point me to the right direction please?

The official Ricoh website says that k5 iis supports the Toshiba 64 GB SDXC card. My is microSD. Is this possibly the reason?

Cheers

07-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try a different adapter.
07-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MohoWu Quote
I tried formatting the card from exFAT to FAT32 but it still can't be formatted on my k5 iis (it says memory card error)
It should be exFAT in order to work. Try formatting it again using your PC.

The card should work, size shouldn't matter. Let us know how it goes! If there's a bug specific to the K-5 II, perhaps updating the firmware would help smoothen things out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-05-2016, 01:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. The original exFAT still doesn't work. I'm using the lastest firmware 1.07 so the problem nothing much to do on the camera side.

---------- Post added 07-05-16 at 02:22 AM ----------

This is confusing me even more. I used this card to shoot some photos on the Fuji point-and-shoot and then inserted it back to K5. Now the camera can format the card and take pictures but I can only get an instant review but can't see any photos in the review.

07-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi,

I ordered a Toshiba Exceria 64GB MicroSDXC Card Class 10, but find out that it doesn't work on my k5 iis. I tried the card on my laptop and it couldn't write. However it works perfect on another laptop and on a fuji point-and-shoot. I tried formatting the card from exFAT to FAT32 but it still can't be formatted on my k5 iis (it says memory card error). Very odd. Can anyone help or point me to the right direction please?

The official Ricoh website says that k5 iis supports the Toshiba 64 GB SDXC card. My is microSD. Is this possibly the reason?

Cheers
May not be due to the card itself but to the SD-sized adapter you are putting it in to be able to use it in your camera. I'm not a great fan of using MicroSD cards in cameras and would prefer SD due to it being more rugged and actually designed for the purpose.
07-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It should be exFAT in order to work. Try formatting it again using your PC.

The card should work, size shouldn't matter. Let us know how it goes! If there's a bug specific to the K-5 II, perhaps updating the firmware would help smoothen things out.
Now it works on my laptop since I used another card reader. I'm gradually convinced that there's a problem with the card reader in the k5 iis, which I can't do much about it.
07-05-2016, 06:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I found micro SD cards unreliable in a Pentax K-x. Others have reported in various threads on this forum problems with micro SD cards in their Pentax cameras. While supposedly electrically the same as full size SD cards, it does not appear to reliably be the case. It may be that the SD slot driver software on the older cameras like the K-5 and the K-x were never designed with micro SD cards in mind.
07-13-2016, 03:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, I received an email from Ricoh Imaging Technical Support saying that pentax k5 ii(s) doesn't support SDXC cards. It only supports SDHC or older ones. What a shame that they say on their website otherwise! (K-5 II/IIs Memory Card Compatibility | Ricoh Imaging Support). Attention to all the k5 ii users!!!!

07-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I received an email from Ricoh Imaging Technical Support saying that pentax k5 ii(s) doesn't support SDXC cards. It only supports SDHC or older ones. What a shame that they say on their website otherwise! (K-5 II/IIs Memory Card Compatibility | Ricoh Imaging Support). Attention to all the k5 ii users!!!!

I don't know who at Ricoh replied to your email, but I believe they are wrong. If the K5IIs can not use SDXC then why are they listed in the manual?

Yes, in the manual it states, SD, SDHC, and SDXC are supported.

I think the problem is with the card or the adapter. My guess is the lock switch was engaged or partially engaged. When the switch is in the lock position, the card can not be read or written to, or formatted.

My suggestion is to either set that card to the side and get a full size SDXC card or to get a different adapter, and make sure the lock is not engaged.
07-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #10

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Why use a mico card in the first place???????